“the best hotel view in Rio de Janeiro”

Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #4 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Fasano is great hotel, small, chic and with an amazing view of Ipanema and Leblond beach from the rooftop pool.
The italian restaurant is very good as well as the price! Rooftop pool is average as food quality. Can be better of a 5 star LHW hotels.

Price for stay is really high but since there are no many options (really not except for Copacabana Palace and SantaTeresa but different location for sure) in Rio I can understand they offer these prices. It is third time I go and I'll probably go back again,

Superior rooms are small for over 750 USD x night (breakfast not included if you not a member of LHW)

Room Tip: If you can afford go for the sea view. Be prepared to pay at least 900 USD per nigh breakfast includ...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I know that my very positive review is not one that everyone will agree with. But for me this remains THE hotel in Rio, bar none. Some of the previous less than positive reviews do resonate: There are inconsistencies about allowing non guests up to the roof bar and pool. There is wear and tear. Service is not seamless. I got no turn down service one night. BUT there are areas of true excellence which I reckon make this Fasano one of the world's great urban hotels. To say that it is next to a 4 lane high way is like saying the Parthenon is just a pile of stones! Yes there is of course a road between the hotel and the fabulous beach. But when did you last see a road in the centre of a massive metropolis with so many joggers, skaters, bicyclists, skate boarders? From 7 in the morning until late into the night. The fact is that non human traffic is pretty light. And what lies beyond? Well one of world's truly great urban beaches, that's all. So the location is first rate and don't let anyone convince you it isn't.

Personally I love the interior. It is minimalist; for me the dark wood and white walls and uncluttered bedrooms are perfect. I like the quirky mirrors. OK I always have a room facing the ocean from a high floor. So the views - and the natural light- are awe inspiring.

The top floor is fabulous. A great bar, lovely pool, decent snack food, plenty of sun beds and tables and chairs in the shade. Ok, the space isn't huge, but it is gorgeous and I can only think of a couple of other city hotels in the world with such magnificent views.

The dining room downstairs is fine...very good breakfasts, good service. Dinner is delicious if you like fine Italian food in Rio.

So why only very good and not excellent ? When the service is as good as a Mandarin Oriental and when they expand the tiny gym somehow, then I will give them the extra star!

Room Tip: Rooms 701 or 702 are outstanding
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2013

With my fiancé working for a magazine that had done a piece on the Hotel Fasano, or more importantly its rooftop bar she was keen for us to spend some of our time in the city there. At first I couldn't believe the room rates, particularly given I was booking 3 nights mid-week and that was before I noticed the room sizes. The 'Superior' rooms with a 'Courtyard' view are only 30 sq.m, hardly generous. Nonetheless I booked a Courtyard Room safe in the knowledge that we would be staying in what is supposed to be Rio's best hotel. Sadly the illusion didn't last long.

Upon our arrival we ushered into the lobby and confronted by a hotel guest and three members of staff having a heated argument, hardly what you expect to see inside your first 10 seconds in a five star hotel and even more puzzling why anyone thought the space by the front door was the appropriate place for such an exchange puzzled me. As a fluent Portuguese speaker my partner tells me they were arguing about his room and the treatment he had received at the hands of some of the waiters. Our check-in seemed to take forever, probably because they couldn't find my reservation until they requested my booking reference, though even with this they had us down as staying for two nights instead of three. Check-in completed we asked for access to their wi-fi network and were dutifully informed that is wasn't working but should be up again before the end of the evening.

As we looked around you could see the characteristic marks of Phillippe Starck but it didn't all seem to make sense. The lobby, bar and restaurant are largely broken up by curtains but the net effect is that you can't find anyone who comes to visit. The initial impression is good but as stare at the details you find that illuminated glass floor panels are loose under foot and many of the wood panels on the accommodation doors have been damaged by clumsy removal of luggage. Once we arrived at our room the claustrophobia set in as we realised there was barely enough space for us to co-exist with our suitcases. The bathroom was small and not overly creative; if you have stayed at The Sanderson in London then prepare for disappointment. On the plus side the bed was comfortable and the linens of good quality. Anyone who stays here is certain to have trouble with the light switches which are scattered everywhere and the lack of any 220v power sockets , leaving you to charge your phone on a 110v, not good for anyone with a smartphone.

Onwards to the rooftop bar then and the view is certainly impressive, the seating comfortable with a pleasant shaded area, the pool shallow (good for cooling off, not for swimming in) and the staff.....not that bothered. You can wait a long time for a drink here and the food is forgettable at best. We witnessed another Brazilian lady arguing with a waiter that he had ignored her twice when she had tried to call him over and she had been more than polite in her endeavours about it until that point. At least the wi-fi was working by now, but they charge you $50 reais a day for the privilege, something I could not fathom given the exorbitant room rates. Unfortunately the pool was further plagued by two women who were striking up conversation with anyone who would talk to them and after 10 minutes they would drop in how they were building some very luxurious homes in Es Salvador for only $2 million dollars each, at which point they would quickly produce a book full of photos....I thought I had left my selling environment in England.

Things really came to a head on our second night when I went up to our room to look for something, but being a man I couldn't find it. Upon arriving downstairs my other half decides she will look with me and as we both approach the elevator we are stopped by a large security guard who proceeds not to be able to speak a word, even Portuguese. He ushers one of the front desk staff over but they are busy and so he keeps us waiting there angrily for several minutes. Numerous other hotel guests pass us for the lift the guard has no interest in stopping them, just us. Eventually the chap from the front desk gets to us and explains they are conducting 'occasional checks' on guests and asks us for our room number and both our names. After some more time wastage on their computer he 'clears' us to go to our room, but with no apology in sight. At this point neither of us had ever felt so unwelcome in a hotel before.....

Unfortunately the story does not end here as the next day we are told that two of our friends are not permitted to join us for a drink on the rooftop bar despite having been allowed the day before. Upon producing the guest handbook to the front desk and pointing out that the bar is 'exclusively for the use of hotel guests and their visitors', I asked what had changed from one day to the next. Once again I was asked for my number and then told that the hotel would be full that evening and so visitors would not be allowed. After some heated argument and my observation that there were only 10 people sat between the pool and the bar the clerk relented, but the damage was done.

The only glimmer of hope this hotel had was a pleasant and efficient lady who checked us out and Gabriel in guest relations who, unlike his colleagues, will try and do his best for you at all times.

In summary, I might have been a tad harsh to give Fasano Rio one star but in honesty I would have given it zero if I had the option. In this price bracket you expect something exceptional, but we've experience 10 times better in Hiltons. If you value your money then go to Copacabana Palace, or if you don't mind being away from the sea try Hotel Santa Teresa where the staff actuall care and the rooms are large enough to breathe in.

Room Tip: One night is enough for the experience. Book another hotel for the rest of your stay. Courtyard room...
13  Thank MitchBM
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I was looking for a modern hotel as a home base during my stay in Rio. This disappointed. I am from New York, and it felt like the touristy hip hotels that lack any kind of personality. For the price, the location was disappointing (on a 4 lane highway and noisy) and the rooms were not worth the money. Views are a dime a dozen in Rio, so there is no need to spend $1000/night for one. With this said, the staff was gracious and the service impeccable (as is in almost all of Brazil).

We much preferred the Santa Teresa hotel (and moved there mid-trip). Although the location is off the beach scene, and we were concerned it was not near all the things we wanted to do, this turned out to be no problem. The hotel design is sophisticated and it has great views. The food was fresh and innovative, and much more authentic than the Fasano. And Sunday afternoons Santa Teresa comes alive with music and opening of art galleries, with people spilling into the streets. One of the highlights of our trip. At the bottom of Santa Teresa are the museums, a farmer's market, and great music.

On my next trip, I will stay there again, and avoid the Fasano.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank luxxtraveler
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We recently stayed at the Fasano and had a fantastic stay. The hotel (& the guests!) are trendy and hip! It's in a great position - right on Ipanema beach. The view from the rooftop pool is spectacular especially at sunset. The staff were helpful and friendly. We only ate at the pool (lunch and dinner) - both very good. My only criticism of this hotel is the lighting in the room - I'm all for mood lighting but only if you want it! There is no choice at the Fasano - it's either dim or dimmer which made unpacking/packing very difficult.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach are a little noisy but worth it to watch the action on Ipanema beach!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a smallish hotel right on Ipanema beach with good views but also on a fairly busy 4 lane road so it can be a bit noisy. Service was first class and the room was a reasonable size and contemporary in style. Good mix of people and busy with youngish business types from Sao Paulo at weekends. Roof top pool and bar/ restaurant was excellent although too small for proper swimming. Breakfast usual buffet style with v good selection.didn't use restaurant but it has a good reputation. Can recommend Zuka which was stylish with good menu choice and good food. Also went to ZaZa Bistro Tropical which was also good with some unusual dishes. Very casual (you wouldn't be out of place in flip flops and shorts) but also quite charming and quirky. Antiquarious was expensive and very old fashioned in style but big portions. Back to Fasano, definitely recommend and would return if in Rio again

Room Tip: We were in 306. Good beach view
Reviewed January 22, 2013

It's great to learn that Madonna has stayed at Fasano Rio. But did she have so much choice? There are two design hotels in Rio, and Copacabana Palace which is outdated.

I found the lobby to be small and guest-unfriendly, no welcome drink offered. My package included some free massage at Spa, noone has mentioned that upon check-in.

Garden-view rooms face ugly facade of ancient air-conditioners, and have constant noise from either them or the pool. The sea-view rooms have an unbearable noise of traffic. Poor window-isolation.

Concierge is not capable to make a successful restaurant reservation, and service at pool becomes bearable with the 4th day of stay only.

The SPA is a joke, 1 sqm changing room which is constantly busy, the massage is one of the two worst I ever had in my life (the second one was at Santa Teresa hotel).

The positive: Location, and view from the balcony when sitting in the evening and observing the sea and what is happening outside.

Again, there is no other choice in Rio, and poor service here is still better than at Santa Teresa hotel. If you travel the rest of the country, and Brazilians learn u've been to Rio, before asking how it was, they start apologizing for service you are getting in Rio hotels.

2  Thank AdventurerHamburg