“Pricy, very good customer service, good location”

Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #7 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Its hard to see philipp stark in this one. Its a little simple... Location is good and the service is great! A way better choice than the copacabana palace! I would also hoghly recommend ipaneme beach!!!

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Hotel staff went out of their way to take care of a few issues that we had, issues that were not related to the hotel. The staff went above-and-beyond, front desk, restaurant.... Hotel also has a great vibe. Strong recommendation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We booked this Philippe Stark hotel through Amex Platinum at a very high rate of $690 per night including breakfast and $100.00 spa amenity. If there was availablity, we were supposed to get a room upgrade. Upon disembarking from a cruise ship, the car service booked way in advance through the hotel was not at the pier. Not a good start, as my husband was ill. We had to find a taxi and we arrived at the hotel very early in the morning. The hotel reimbursed us for the taxi (we were advised to ask for this reimbursement from someone at the pier) and we were pleased that our room was ready for us. After telling us that the hotel was full and no upgrades were available, a lovely young man from "guest relations" named Fernando showed us our room. We were stunned at how small, narrow and dark it was. And the "garden view" was facing the back of a building and a garage underneath. When we voiced our displeasure, he said there would be no availability for a room change until maybe the next day. As we were only staying for two nights, we weren't sure changing was worth it. We had to work out of our suitcases as there is really nowhere in the rooms to unpack anything. There was only one night table in the bedroom and a wobbly table by the window with the bad view. There was not enough lighting, and there were tricky, strange light switches that required a learning curve. The beds and linens were very comfortable. The bathroom was small and ill-thought-out in terms of space and places to put things. The hallways were also dark. They tried to change our room the next day, but the new room had a king bed. Since my husband was pretty sick, we preferred two beds. Although this new room had an ocean view and was slightly bigger, the bathroom was also the same small area. Fernando said he tried for a suite for us, but all were booked. He did waive the internet charge. There also seemed to be a disconnect between the helpful people at the front desk and the housekeeping. Unortunately, we were not feeling well so we spent more time in the room than we normally would have.

The pool area on the rooftop provided beautiful views of Ipanema beach, and is only available to guests. The breakfast was good, and the restaurant staff very accomodating. The people that worked there were mostly very nice and kind, so it is disturbing to report that our room was so under par, especially for that price. A few hours before we left for the airport, we were crossing the very busy one-way side street right in front of the hotel, after waiting for a break in the traffic. Coming out of nowhere, the wrong way, a man on a skate-board skated directly into me and knocked me down on the street, falling on top of me. Luckily, I did not break any bones or fall on my head, although I was very sore and shaken. But all the guys standing in front of the hotel (doormen, security...there are at least 3 or 4 men at one time out there) saw me fall and did not detain this skateboarder, although they appeared concerned. If it is so dangerous outside the hotel, perhaps they should help their clients cross the street? It could have been a disaster for me, and I don't think skating or riding any vehicle fast the wrong way up a one-way street should be tolerated, putting pedestrians at great risk. But it's not my country and I was glad to leave, grateful to be in one piece.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2012

There is a distinct lack of hotels in rio. This is the only good hotels in ipanema. Staff were great. Rooms very modern with a distinct lack of lighting. No plug in the sink so watch your contact lenses. Beautiful roof bar and pool. Concierge couldn't do enough. Well done Fernandez who was in customer relations

Room Tip: Over looking see if you can afford it
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank feliceh
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed at Fasano for 4 nights when I was visiting Rio on business. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The location was great and the service at the hotel was exceptional. Everybody at the hotel seemed very willing to help. Although most of the staff was young, they were very professional.

Few minor negatives - I didn't like the persistent housekeeping service. They woke me up at 9 pm for housekeeping once and another day, they entered the room although I had "do not disturb" sign outside the room. I loved the rain shower bathroom; however, it was difficult to control the hot water and I got scalded once. The rooms are small, so is the hotel. The breakfast had a lot of varieties; however, lacked made to order omlette. It was not really worth the price they charged. However, I loved the street view from my breakfast table.

If I return to Rio, I will consider staying at Fasano.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We spent four nights here on our first ever visit to Rio. The position is perfect with great access to both Ipanema and Copacabana as well as the beautiful Lagoon a few blocks inland, and Sunday's spectacular hippy market. First impressions weren't great. We shown to a "courtyard view" room which barely had space for our luggage. The"view" was of the wall of what appeared to be an office building a few feet away. Why they bothered with the balcony was beyond me, it would have been much more useful to have built the room a bit larger. Everything succumbs to the design, which means virtually no hanging or shelf space at all, and lighting that is so dim, as to be ridiculous. The bed was fabulously comfy and sleep quality was really good but walls are thin, so you can be unlucky if your neighbours have the tv on loud at night.

After a few hours, however, we soon got into the vibe of the place, and if you're young at heart and happy to go with the flow, you will find this one of the most enjoyable and thrilling city stays money can buy.

The staff were exceptional and service throughout was top class. The concierge/ reception staff were outstanding. Nothing was too much trouble at all.

The roof top pool and bar are simply idyllic, although it is not huge and can be dominated if there is large group of weekenders from São Paulo, ostentatiously and loudly swigging champagne all afternoon. The views from the roof are breathtaking

The hotel organised bike hire for us. It is slightly annoying that they use an outside company for this rather than having their own. They simply don't have enough storage space. Cycling up and down the beaches and around the Lagoon, was definitely one of the highlights of our stay.

We ate in the restaurant one evening. Expensive but really excellent, although watch out for the exorbitant cover charge for the bread and dips which were provided unsolicited. The outside tables were a lot more romantic than the main dining room. Breakfasts were good if not outstanding and no more than you would usually pay in a five star hotel ( about $35).

The Internet charges are ridiculous and the facility is so slow that we managed to persuade them to waive the charges on check out. Good luck!

Overall, we enjoyed every moment so much so, that it was a real wrench to leave, and the sign of great hospitality is that they seemed sorry to see us go, too. We would definitely return. It is an expensive treat, but I have spent more elsewhere, and left feeling as if a hotel, didn't really care whether we came back or not. At the Fasano, we felt that we were taking leave of close family when we left, and that for me, is the sign of a great hotel.

Room Tip: Splas out on sea view if you can afford it
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Goooner
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at Fasano in Rio only one day and now that I am gone I wish I could back as soon as possible.
The hotel is fantastic, right in front of beautiful Ipanema beach which is more modern and trendy than Copacabana beach.
I had a car organized by the hotel picking me up at the airport and I have to say the price is worth it, it saves the stress of looking for a safe taxi, I strongly recommend having a car organized by the hotel. It was very easy to do so, I sent an email to the concierge and they promptly replied with two different options.
The rooms are not very spacious but very cozy and relaxing, nice colors and atmosphere, the bathroom is all marble and the shower is one of the best features of the room
But the highlight of the hotel is the terrace and pool area located on the 8th floor. There's nothing like that! Fabulous!
There's a bar with covered seating area where delicious food is served. All staff are really friendly and service is super fast
The pool is amazing!
The view on Ipanema beach simply breathtaking!
The terrace was so beautiful that I stayed there the whole day and didn't even bother going to the beach
The next morning I had breakfast and that was also a nice experience
Most of the staff speak several languages and make u feel really at home
The hotel is VERY expensive but worth every dollar!
I strongly recommend it if u are looking for some high class getaway in Rio

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends