“rear-facing rooms not worth the money”

Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro
Ranked #5 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
London
“rear-facing rooms not worth the money”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Billed as the top hotel on Ipanema, the Fasano is correspondingly expensive: $600 for their small, narrow rooms facing the rear with no view! P Starck design looks great in the more generously-proportioned beach-facing rooms, but the basic rooms are simply too narrow and dark (see photos). Hallways likewise are ridiculously dim. The best part of the hotel is the shallow rooftop pool and bar (and gym and steam room): views are stunning. Service cannot be faulted anywhere in the hotel (or indeed on the beach where they will set up deck chairs & parasols for you). All rooms have small balconies. Bathrooms are well appointed. The hotel's two small elevators can take several minutes to arrive and there appears to be no staircase alternative, unacceptably frustrating for a hotel of this standard. Elevators are activated by room key for added security - even to get to the rooftop pool/gym area (which keeps non residents out). Sleep quality is good: soundproofing works and the air-con is relatively silent. Friends who were allocated a beach-facing room on a high floor were extremely happy with their stay - the trick is to get one of these! The alternative is the (equally pricey, but high-rise) Caesar Park a few blocks away: most of their rooms are bright with decent views.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Tahoe City, California
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I struggled making plans for our stay in rio. Reading reviews it appeared there were many 2 and 3 star hotels passing themselves off as 4 and 5 stared hotels.... For a lot of money.

Yes the fasano is expensive, but for me and my wife, the fasano was not only the best choice... It enhanced our entire stay in rio.

I would never pay up $1000 a night for a hotel in NYC, London, or Tokyo.... We had never been to this massive city, and since we do not speak portugese, the service help make the city more accessible for us.

I have read the service can be spotty, but we never saw a lapse in service. While this was the weekend of the popular rock in rio, the pool area was packed, and Anderson (manager) oversaw a staff that was attentive, and caring. Keep in mind I am the the typle that has no need for a spritz, of water... I simply enjoy having attentive service, suggest a bottle of braziallian rose I have never had before.

The concierge service is exemplary. Both Felipe, and Bruno provided was with exceeelmt ideas for both lunch and dinner.

The hotel was safe, extremely clean, and the beds are very comfortable....

The poolside food was well made, fresh, ....as were the perfect cocktails.

Thank you fasano... We will not only be back to see you at the rio, but since I found your product as good as what I have seen at the best aman resorts, we will want to try your other locations as well

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank jeffwt
Atlantic City
Reviewed September 27, 2011

At Fasano Ipanema there is no surprise, you get what you pay for (but no more...). My wife and where here for our honeymoon. The room was fantastic with an incredible view. The service was perfect. The staff take care of every detail...but in a little snobish way. This is the perfect place for those that prefer perfection to a cozy and warm atmosphere!

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Location and staff excellent. Ocean front rooms interesting if not extravagant. Balcony overlooking ipanema the high point.
Beyond that, it feels like the mission of the hotel is to suck every $ out of you. Tours starting from hotel cost triple what you can book privately or through another hotel. Internet $30 a day, etc.
When paying $1,000 a night for a hotel, they should provide some benefit for the buck. I would stay there again as it is the best on the beach.

• Stayed September 2011
Milano
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I spent 2 days at Fasano and I loved this hotel.
From the staff, nice, gentle and always ready to help me..to the decor...simply amazing!
when you enter the reception desk is realized with a huge tree log.. and the furnitures are chich and simple. the atmosphere is sofisticated and simple with few touches here and there..
When you go to your room, the elevator opens in a big dark corridor. In the center of it, you find pieces of art or elegant sofas...the dark corridor is lighted by floor lights that indicate you the room number.The rooms are chich and elegant. With very simple furniture, they're enriched by extravagant pieces like strange lamps or mirrors with strange shapes.
The bathroom is very functional, with a room for wc and bidet, and a separate room with the infinity shower.
Breakfast is served downstairs at Fasano al Mare. Very rich they serve international foods like cereals, pastries, croissant and bakeries, fresh fruits, eggs on request and traditional products like the delicious pao de queijo, a small panini with metled cheese filling..
If you have chance don't miss the rooftop. The view of the beach of Ipanema on one side and of Corcovado is incredible and there is a big pool with recliners. Also a bar with a nice porch and small tables is perfect to relax and dine.
I had delicious pasta with shrimps enjoying the breeze and the view.
Also at night the restaurant Fasano Al Mare is delicious... very pricey but they serve excellent food from italian cuisine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank EuDiMu
Brazil
Reviewed September 15, 2011

In Brazil, Fasano is synonym for luxury. So no wonder I was pretty happy when the company I work for made a reservation for me there.

But... Murphy's Law is applicable to anybody, anywhere, anytime... so, the huge expectation I had about my experience there made me feel a bit frustrated with the flaws I found (ok, I confess, I expected a really perfect experience). These flaws don't compromise the hotel but it may help you no to have the same expectation I had if you decide to stay there.

I arrived late and really tired (after 10pm). I did the check in and someone from the reception took me to the room # 716 (it seems they upgraded the function of a bellboy to gorgeous models that welcome you on the front desk and take you to the room). He left me there and then I realized the room was already occupied! I saw some luggage and left the room with my stuff. I asked the guy from the hotel that happened to be passing by and he was very helpful. the hotel staff couldn't see in their computers that the room was already occupied. And I even had to see the scene where the guy was checking the room when the 2 ladies that were there arrived and asked if somebody besides him had entered the room... and the guy said NO... of course not.... humpf...

Well, after that, I went to the restaurant. the chef made a special dish for me, with linguine and seafood. I am a spicy food lover and the chef was wonderful attending my request for extra spicy! It was delicious! And very expensive! Don't eat there if you don't wanna splurge. Really splurge (specially if you like to drink wine...).

Another small things: the light switch isn't beside the bed. You have to walk to the small corridor, turno off the light and make your way in the darkness until you "find" the bed... and no plugs near the bed either... I needed to recharge my cell phone and use it as my alarm clock.. but no plug near the bed (I used a chair to bring it nearer to me). Room # 216 had a terrible view.: another building! don't take this room. and the hotel phone was very luminous... after turning off the light and finding my bed, I found out that the hotel phone was annoying because of its light....

But, they do have a spacious room and bathroom for a standard suite. Loved the complimentary bottled water (really necessary if you visit Brazil - I am brazilian, so trust me) and the interior design is really something! Loved the style.

Loved to have dinner there but the breakfast... well, it could have more options. We are in Brazil, come on! They need to put some effort on that. The coffee was great but I missed the pastries, cakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, you know, a really wonderful buffet... I don't mean a ridiculous big buffet, but something chic enough with very very very good options.

You see, these small things could be worked on. they just need to pay attention to these details. then it has potential to be perfect.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank LucilaPS
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Stayed for a week, lovely suite on highest floor. Curtain dividing room drew back to allow one huge room. Internet was strong signal and room top pool was very nice with views over beach. Menu was a little limited and some staff were a little lacking in customer service. English spoken widely which was a major positive. Most definately the beat option for Rio, if you have a spare $1000 a night.

Room Tip: Get high floor otherwise noise will be troublesome.