“definitely the best guesthouse in RIO ...”
Review of La Suite By Dussol

La Suite By Dussol
Ranked #11 of 340 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Coming from Salvador de Bahia after a week stay in Ipanema at what they call the best boutique Leading Hotel in Rio..We were amazed by the spectacular breathless view in La Suite. Even if it is in Joa ..no problem you can enjoy it during the day.. and go out night time.. The baroque decor full of ideas By Francois Xavier Dussol is great..even if the maintenance is quite funny ..and not the best sometimes...but as they say..this is Brazil ,, We stayed 5 nights with 2 rooms pink and yellow.. and it was expensive but great worth the money.. The Staff is absolutely adorable ..a special mention for Junior..who was so helpful pleasant and nice to talk to..and to Rafael, The Chef needs to be mentioned as well..if you are not in a hurry you will enjoy his delicious cuisine..very well prepared.. Breakfast is nice much better than at Fasano.. and overlooking the Bay is so spectacular that you can forget all the imperfections. It really feels like a private villa.. The pool is outstanding.. and breathless even if it needs to be redone ( tiles..or better paint ) but apparently it is in the program..this year.. Ask the boys to arrange you nights at Salgueiro Samba school on rehearsal night ..or a taxi to go to Rio Scenarium..on of the best Concert place in the world in an antique house.. or Casa Rosa.. if you want to see the real Rio.. we had a fantastic time.. What will be interesting is that FX Dussol is remodeling and old house in Centro..so you will have 2 alternative to stay.. a few days in le Paris and a few days at la Suite.. a perfect mix.. Good luck we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
ByDussol, Guest Relations Manager at La Suite By Dussol, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Dear Guests,

On behalf of By Dussol Luxury Boutique Hotels, I would like to thank you for choosing La Suite By Dussol for your stay in Rio de Janeiro.

It was a real pleasure to have you as our guests and we are delighted that you enjoyed being with us.

We thank your for your fantastic review and are really happy to learn that you experienced exactly what we wish to offer to our guests.

We all have a great memories of you stay with us and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming all of you again at La Suite By Dussol,

Warmest regards

Reviewed January 3, 2014

The views from this hotel are amazing and definitely the main reason for visiting! Also loved the decoration and had delicious meals. We stayed on a 50% off deal and it was definitely good value, at full price I would have expected a lot though!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Yellow Room and it was lovely. It was quiet and a good size, can't fault.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kate,

On behalf of By Dussol Luxury Boutique Hotels, I would like to thank you for choosing La Suite By Dussol for your stay in Rio de Janeiro and for having taken the time to write this great review.

It was a real pleasure to have you as our guest and we are really that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at La Suite By Dussol!

Best wishes

La Suite By Dussol's team

Reviewed November 22, 2013

when i arrived i had been on the road for a while and i felt so happy when i got to La Suite. The rooms are all decorated so well and i loved the bathrooms. The terrace for the restaurant is the most amazing place to eat in the whole of Rio and the infinity pool just invites you to take pictures and to get up for sunrise to then take some more. Amazing place and I will definitely be back when in Rio again

Room Tip: i was in the green room and I just loved it. Blue room is bigger but they are all great.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank babyvic
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The whole hotel is very beautiful with unique decor and special treatment team. Very spacious and comfortable, with a breathtaking view. Only the restaurant service lacking. The dishes are not well prepared and their prices do not match what is offered.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have to be brief but wanted to get a review up right away to praise the hotel, the staff, and the location of La Suite. My wife and I came here for our honeymoon. I read about La Suite on the Tablet hotels website and it looked absolutely perfect.

Hotel- The location as others have mentioned is about a 15-20min taxi ride from Copacabana but in my opinion this was added charm of the hotel. My favorite beach of the trip was a 15 min walk from the hotel and this was by far the nicest beach in Rio de Janeiro(ask the locals…they will all confirm this). They hotel was clean, tastefully decorated, and the views were priceless. We stayed in the black room and had a view of the city and the islands. The pool was amazing! We spent a great deal of time at the pool.

Service- The most personalized service I have ever received at a hotel. We were given a bottle of Brazilian Rose upon our arrival. We used the airport shuttle the hotel provided and he waited there for us several hours until our delayed flight finally arrived. Each day we were asked when we would like breakfast and if we wanted eggs and bacon or anything else on top of what was standard(which there are plenty of pictures of on here). After breakfast we were asked if we would be having lunch or dinner there and what we would like, you could order pretty much anything you wanted, a nice perk. We had a prefix dinner with an italian couple out on the terrace one night and this was by far the best meal I had in Rio de Janeiro. Each day I spoke with Francois the owner who was always a pleasure to speak with. I am sure there are things I am forgetting but don't miss out on staying here. We were deciding between staying here, the Fasano, and Copacabana and both my wife and I are so pleased we picked La Suite as nothing could compare to this special experience. We did stay at another hotel on Copacabana beach our last few days and it was very nice but nothing even close to what la suite had to offer. My wife had a massage on day too, she loved that. They have someone come out to the hotel to preform the massage. Hmm, there is a helipad on the roof too if you want to take advantage of that!

We will be coming back to La Suite if even just for weekend.

*I want to talk about why you might see bad reviews. Picking a hotel is a matter of personal preference and taste. If you prefer to eat at large franchise restaurants over neighborhood restaurants then you probably will not enjoy La Suite as much as we did. If you prefer to have the exact same charmless room as everyone else in a large Hilton, Windsor etc etc over a boutique hotel then you probably won't like La Suite. Was this hotel flawless? No, the pool could use a paint job but I never once was bothered by this as this place is heaven on earth. A special place and memory that my wife and I will always keep in high regard. Thanks Francois Thanks La Suite

Ah, yes, almost forgot. The owner has a couple of Dachshunds that were super friendly and a pleasure to hang out with also!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are probably wonderful but we stayed in the black room which was a corner room wit...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Docalchemy1
Reviewed November 1, 2013

certainly one of the best place to be in RIo. Mid way to Barra as well as to Ipanema and Leblond (opposite direction). Settled in Joa this place has an amazing view and you feel to be more in the jungle then in town. It was a private house now hosting approx 16/20 people.
I liked the style anf the kidnaess of the staff. Good food cooked on demand.
Overall the house is very nice even if some improvement are certainly possible especially in some details about cleaness. the linen on my bad were not perfect as well as other small details. the breeze of the see doen't help but.....sunday I had to clean the pool from leaves by my own...maybe because the owner (Francois was not there :-))

Room Tip: I have read some reviews saying they do not accept credit card. It is not true at all. They give me...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pantomo
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My first impression of La Suite was of a very trendy exclusive hotel, however since we didn't have a reservation we didn't feel very welcome . We left our number and asked the manager to call us in case of a room were to become available, which ended up happening later that evening. The first thing we did when we arrived back at the hotel was to pay one night in advance and only then were we hosted by the manager in such a freindly way that we couldn't believe it was the same person which treated usa in such an unfriendly way the first time.
As we arrived in the room we felt a strong smell of the strangest perfume. We opened all windows, took our welcome drink and decided to take the stairway to the pool. With a very slippery surface, no rails to hold on too an uneven stair hights, my wife fell down the stirway braking the welcome drink in her hand. Luckly she only had some bruises and no cuts.
Back in the room we had a hard time sleeping as the strong perfume started to give place to a deep horrible smoky smell. The morning light showed the true colors of the hotel. Rusted furniture, stained lamps, fallen lamps in the bathroom. We had breakfeast with chipped dishes and a coffe stained coffe holder. Kind of took our appitite away. When we told the story of the stairway to the attendant, he not only didn't say sorry or ask how my wife was doing, but also said he himself already fell down the dangerous stairway. Definitely don't recomend the stay. Better go for vistit, take a picture of the beutifull view and leave!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple