“Perfect location and great hospitality”

and 1 more site!
Rio Guest House ( Marta's Guest House)
Ranked #24 of 338 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at Marta's place with out two small children. Marta was very accommodating and kind. The location is excellent, right on the beach and the guest house has a spectacular view. We would definitely stay at Marta's Guest House again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tanyaso

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My girlfiend and I decided to stay at Marta's guesthouse after seeing the wonderful reviews and the competitive prices compared to hotels in the area. We chose the emerald room with the ensuite bathroom after Marta answered my countless emails. The room was perfect for our stay and the shower (with what seemed like an endless supply of hot water) was perfect after a long day of hiking through Rio. The guesthouse itself was gorgeous with the views of Copacabana clearly the highlight, followed closely by the delicious breakfast every morning.

Marta was absolutely amazing! Incredibly warm, friendly, and welcoming. I chose to stay in the guesthouse because I thought I would get some tips on how to visit Rio and not miss hidden gems or go to tourist traps. I was not disappointed: every morning I would tell Marta of our plans and she would happily suggest other items to hit along the way and was incredibly helpful in finding us amazing restaurants within Rio as well as making suggestions on which spots truly captured the Rio nightlife! Truly a wonderful person to know, especially if you don't know Portuguese like us.

I would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms with ensuite bathroom are worth the extra money. The Emerald suite was perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Max P
Reviewed November 23, 2013

i found marta's rio guesthouse on trip advisor and i agree with most of the other reviews. this place is a joy to stay in and marta certainly make every effort to make sure you feel like a welcome guest in her own private home. reasonable prices and great location right near the juncture of south copacabana beach and arporador/ipanema beach. splendid view over looking copacabana from the living and dining room balcony. the room was comfortable and clean. bathroom was private and functional but not inside the room but down the hallway. i had no problem with this but my wife found this a bit inconvenient. the shower runs on a tankless water heater with a timer on it, so you have to shut off the water and restart every 2-3 minutes in order to have a consistent hot water shower. the weather was hot and sunny so this did not inconvenience me at all but i could see this as an issue in cold weather. another thing is, i did not see any emergency escape staircase in this guesthouse. the only access to and from this guesthouse is from 2 elevators. i tried to ask the brazillian cleaning woman if there was an emergency exit and i think she said no but i could not be sure from the language barrier. finally, this guesthouse does not accept credit card. you must pay a deposit via paypal (plus fees) or a direct bank wire transfer, then pay the balance in brazillian cash. again, i knew this policy going in but it did maxx out my ATM withdrawal limits twice. just know this in advance and you will enjoy your stay here. marta is a very hospitable host who will assist you in making your stay safe and comfortable.

Room Tip: amethyst room was a pleasure, with an indirect view of the beach
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
MartaRIO, Owner at Rio Guest House ( Marta's Guest House), responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear guests, thanks for your stay. Was a great pleasure receive you at our Guesthouse. I did not know you have had some problem with hot water, sorry for this inconvenient, but I could help if you would ask me. This is not a tank water, but is very sensible regulation, and if for some reason the someone did change, then will not work as suppose. Regarding the stair we do have one other exit on the back of service entrance. I will organize to be informed. Hope I would see you again in Brazil, and hope next time we would have one of the 3 en suite bathroom we have available, so your wife stay more comfortable. Best regards and thanks you very much for the nice words, I ma sure will be very helpful for other guests. Regards, Marta

Reviewed November 17, 2013

The elevator, that reminded me of a film from the 1930s, took me up to the penthouse flat. The house is in Art Deco stile. The huge flat is decorated with art and furniture that gives it an elegant, charming and unique presentation. The view over Copacabana from the roof terrace is fantastic!
I was warmly welcomed by Marha, the hostess, and some other guests,relaxing on the terrace.
My room was silent and had an en-suite bathroom, AC and a large double bed, where I slept very well. But there where no room to open a suitcase beside the bed, so I had to put it on the bed.
It should also be noted that this is a Bed and Breakfast with no reception and Matha cant be available at all times for your needs.
The the breakfast is good, but simple, and is enjoyed together with the other guests. This is very nice. You get to know people from any country, and may exchange experiences of what to do and what to not do.
All in all it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Morten A
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Marta is a great woman who even fixed football tickets for the Flu-Fla game in the new Maracana. Our room was big enough for 3 persons with a huge cupboard. The private bathroom was down the hall but that was no problem.

Breakfast is served in the living room. Everyday fresh bread, orange juice and homemade cake (or brownies or sweet bread :-)

The guesthouse is situated at the Copacabana, you only cross the street and you are on the beach. Busses are around the corner and metro is about 7 minutes walk.

It is worth the price you pay for it.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Biggles75Blue

Dear guests, thanks for your stay. It was a great pleasure receive you at our Guesthouse. Have the opportunity to help you was my pleasure, and happy this work well and you have had his great experience of a football game in Rio. Hope you will be back again to Rio, will be an honor receive you again. We will appreciate if you recommend to your friends and family. Best regards, Marta

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed for 9 nights at Martha's guest house in September 2013.
It was a real pleasure staying there.
The location is perfect. 30 sec walk from Copacabana beach and 5 min walk from Arpoador and Ipanema beaches, All others facilities such as bus, metro, restaurants and shops are close by as well. I would say it is one of the best location in Rio.
The duplex flat is wonderfull with an amazing terrasse and view on Copacabana and the sugar loaf.
Rooms and private bathroom are simple but clean.
Breakfast is really great
Martha the owner and Luzia the assistant are very kind and helpfull, always smiling.
You really feel at home
Really recommend this place.
Would definitely return to this place if I would visit Rio again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Toni A
MartaRIO, Manager at Rio Guest House ( Marta's Guest House), responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear guests, thanks for your stay. It was a great pleasure receive you at our Guesthouse. Thanks for the nice information you add at your review, I am sure will be very helpful for other guests understand the neighborhood around the Guesthouse. Hope to see you in a soon future, and will be great to receive you and your family and friends again at our Guesthouse. Best regards, Marta

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Since the first time that I was there in 2008, I went again another four times, both alone and with my husband.
During my five visits, one of them in the period of the New Year's Eve, I tried 4 different rooms and all of them were very comfortable, clean and silent.
The last room where I stayed was the smallest and cheapest, anyway it is good for a single person or a couple of friends. The bathroom is outside the room, but it is for exclusive use of the room itself and Marta and her lovely waiter pay a lot of attention that anyone else uses it.
During these years further improvements have been done in the rooms and in the terrace, therefore the guesthouse has become even more comfortable and nicer than in the past.
The breakfast continues to be excellent and huge, much better than in many other places where we stayed in Brazil.
The owner, as usual, is very friendly and available to provide to her guests great suggestions on tours, restaurants and local amenities, since she uses to experience them before recommending them to other people.
The view from the terrace is amazing and it's wonderful to stay there to relax during the day and at night.
I highly recommend this guest house and suggest to stay there during the New Years's Eve: the party organised by Marta when we were there was fantastic and from the terrace we had the best view of the the fireworks!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo