“Fifth time at Marta's Rio Guesthouse”

Rio Guest House ( Marta's Guest House)
Ranked #26 of 339 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Since the first time that I was there in 2008, I went again another four times, both alone and with my husband.
During my five visits, one of them in the period of the New Year's Eve, I tried 4 different rooms and all of them were very comfortable, clean and silent.
The last room where I stayed was the smallest and cheapest, anyway it is good for a single person or a couple of friends. The bathroom is outside the room, but it is for exclusive use of the room itself and Marta and her lovely waiter pay a lot of attention that anyone else uses it.
During these years further improvements have been done in the rooms and in the terrace, therefore the guesthouse has become even more comfortable and nicer than in the past.
The breakfast continues to be excellent and huge, much better than in many other places where we stayed in Brazil.
The owner, as usual, is very friendly and available to provide to her guests great suggestions on tours, restaurants and local amenities, since she uses to experience them before recommending them to other people.
The view from the terrace is amazing and it's wonderful to stay there to relax during the day and at night.
I highly recommend this guest house and suggest to stay there during the New Years's Eve: the party organised by Marta when we were there was fantastic and from the terrace we had the best view of the the fireworks!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank ViajGPZ
There are newer reviews for Rio Guest House ( Marta's Guest House)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Staying at Rio Guesthouse was a fantastic experience for getting to know RIO. The Guesthouse location across the street from Copacabana beach could not have been more perfect. The view from the dining area was spectacular and it was great to experience that everyday. My room was clean and comfortable. Marta was flexible with the breakfast and was often checking with guests as to what they would like to eat or if they needed anything. She was very helpful in offering tips and advice about traveling in the city. With her warm generosity and personal welcome, I felt more like I was staying in someone's home than in a hotel which was great. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 159barbara
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just had the most wonderful experience at Marta's Rio Guesthouse. The guesthouse is very clean, with a great deck right on Copacabana Beach. The rooms were very comfortable, with good bathrooms and plenty of hot water. The common space is great: the huge open deck on the top floor of a small apartment building, big living room and dining area, stereo with lots of great choices (we liked the Samba), and a big screen tv for those futbol matches. The breakfasts are fantastic. Lots of fresh fruit, fresh juices, good coffee, eggs, cheese, ham or smoked turkey and fresh pastry. But it is the warmth and hospitality of Dona Marta that really makes this place special. She has wonderful tour and restaurant recommendations. She makes you feel that you are part of her extended family. She is helpful but not meddling. It was perfect for our family including our teen age son. We give the Rio Guesthouse our highest recommendation.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have their own bathrooms while others have private bathrooms just steps away. All...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sftravelers83
Reviewed August 7, 2013

One can hardly find a better place: 12th floor, breakfast view over the whole Copacabana, friendly staff, super breakfast with fresh fruit and eggs, good English (and German) knowledge. And Marta knows EVERYTHING about Rio. When you cannot decide what to do first: Ask Marta! A top place in a superb city! Hope to come back there soon!

susanne & tim

Room Tip: Copacabana view from the room is not important because the breakfast view and the terrace are so gor...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tim M
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and stayed at Rio guesthouse, exclusively due to the reviews we read on Tripadvisor. We were certainly not disappointed. The Art Deco building right on Copacabana Beach is a delight and the wonderful view only pales in comparison to the energy and enthusiasm of our host, Marta. We can certainly recommend this establishment highly.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at Marta's guesthouse after a rather full tour of Brazil. Almost all my other Pousadas had been wonderful, yet none came close to the delightful experience at Marta's! You are welcomed as a friend and treated as such during your whole stay! First, prior to arriving, Marta sent me a sweet message wishing me a safe trip. Then her warm embrace and her many advice on great addresses and things not to be missed, on the right days to visit the monuments according to weather forecast etc. The guesthouse is located in a delightfully obsolete Art Deco building. A prime location right on Copacabana beach and very close to Ipanema (10 mn walk or less!). But the real catch apart from Marta herself is the view! Simply breathtaking, day or night! And breakfast is lavish, it changes every day and honestly you don't need another meal till dinner time! Something stupid happened to me during my stay... After a rather agitated night at the Scenarium where Marta herself took me (!), I had to take an early flight and Freud would say I didn't want to leave, so I forgot part of my luggage! Marta took the pain of re-packing all its contents and sent it to me where it arrived safely! I will never praise her enough for being who she is and despite the fact I'm almost reluctant to share such a wonderful address, I can fully recommend it, especially to people traveling alone, although I'm sure the experience is just as fine for families!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank DRM55
Reviewed May 29, 2013

If you're going to Rio de Janeiro ones in your life you should stay at Rio Guest House. We where very welcomed by Marta with the warmest hug and escorted into the most beautiful penthouse apartment with the most extraordinary terrace view! We fell in love with both Marta and her apartment immediatly. We shared this home with lovely people and we where all taken good care of my Marta and her housemaid, the breakfasts contained of different things every day, nice fruits and juices, and we should know, cause my partner and I stayed for a period of 15 days :-)
Enjoy you stay, and thank's again, Marta!

S&T