“Rock hard bed but best wake up service in the world”
Review of Hotel Santa Clara

Hotel Santa Clara
Ranked #159 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed November 22, 2010

The hotel is well located and perfect if you are in Rio for business and don't want to keep seeing the same suits of your co-conference visitors everyday. As an extra the hotel makes it possible to personalize your wake up calls and the sound of that voice in the morning just gives you back the joy and energy you lost while sleeping on a wooden matras.

• Stayed: November 2010

Reviewed November 11, 2010

I check ed in this hotel paid with my credicard, went to the room for 5 minutes where me and my partner decided to don't stay in the hotel, when we asked for our money back they just sad it is a policy from the hotel that once the receive the money they never give it back, we were completely shock with the mananger behavior, then we asked to have at least half of the money and they simply refuse it. I travel through the all world and this was the most unfriendly treatment I ever had. Don't stay i this hotel, they are not trustfull people.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helder D
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Guesthouse style format. The place is antiquated, and unfortunately not in a charming way. A dump actually. Breakfast, such as it was, served in the room. Old, noisy air conditioner. Rock hard bed and pillow. If you're looking for alternative to in front-of-the-beach, bland chain hotel this is it all right. If you select this hotel because you are looking for a bargain or you are a low-budget type, you will still think you overpaid for this hostelry. Too bad, as Zona Sul could use some properly renovated old residencies converted to boutique hotel. The Santa Clara is not this.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paubranco
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Having been there in 2007 (same period of the year) and having found back then that the location is quiet and safe I booked back in October for a stay on the eve of the Carnival. Room type and prices were agreed in writing in emails but I ended up paying significantly more, arguing on arrival to get a front view room (even if they were vacant), and being told that " a booking confirmation is about the room availability, not the price". Absolutely unacceptable... not the least because in October I had a range of other options for the price I ended up paying eventually at Santa Clara in February. Very poor commercial practice (you will be aware that walking out of the hotel was not an option once arrived in Rio late at night, Rio becomes fully booked for the Carnival)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Federichettes
Reviewed April 21, 2010

This hotel is perfectly located in a quiet part of the city, but within walking distance of Copacabana beach and lots of shops, restaurants and attractions. The staff are great, the food was great (particularly breakfast), the location is great, and the hotel is beautiful. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone!

Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LucyD3
Reviewed August 21, 2009

As we would arrive late , after flying from Europe to Brasil, we made a reservation. The day before our holiday i had a last e-mail contact telling what time the plane would land, i told them we'd probably be there at 19.00 / 19.30 or a bit later, depending on the flight. When we arrived at 19.45 the only thing the man told us was that he gave away our room at 19.00. He didn't tell us why, no sorry, nothing...... There we were, after hours and hours of travelling, on the streets of Rio, not a good start of your holiday!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WendyVert
Reviewed August 8, 2008

I was looking for a friendly, comfortable and relatively inexpensive lodging in Rio. Based on the reviews, this seemed like a great place for economy travellers. I decided to stay at this place for the first 2 days of my week-long stay in Rio. And, I'm glad I decided to do so (only for 2 days).

The owner is nice and friendly. The rooms are large but very basic. During my stay, I heard a lot of noise due to construction going next door. It's also located at the wrong end of Copacabana. The hotel is far away from beaches , restaurants, and other points of interest. I like to walk around and ended up spending more time than I wanted to walking back-and-forth a few times during the day.

I'd advise not to buy a tour package at the hotel. They are not trust-worthy. I took a package to watch a soccer game at Maracana. The tour guide left the stadium without me. I still cannot believe how irresponsible could one be. With soccer fans howling and military police with their iron rods ready to strike anyone's head, it was a rather scary experience. I somehow made it back to the hotel by a local bus (with hoodlums on the bus).

Back at the hotel, the owner did not even attempt to get at least an explanation from the tour guide. I was glad that I only booked the place for two nights.

The hotel prices in Rio are negotiable especially during not-so-hectic season. I negotiated a good rate at Atlantis Copacabana (highly recommended). which was a bit higher from what I paid at Hotel Santa Clara and stayed there for the rest of my stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo