“You must stay here for your first visit to rio” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel

Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel
Cusco, Peru
“You must stay here for your first visit to rio”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

So forget everything you have heard about dangerous favelas in rio. I ended up staying here for almost a month during the world cup and loved every minute of it! It was definitely the perfect place to stay. This little gem is perched on top of a hill overlooking the amazing view of copacabana beach and the surrounding areas, the view is literally the beet thing about this place. Gabriel also does a wonderful job of making you feel right at home and I really appreciated the hospitality of the entire favela as well. You will find way more hospitable and friendly people in the favela rather than the rest of Rio. I never felt in danger and was humbled by the way people live and breath in the favela. Definitely stay here for an authentic Rio experience!

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gabriel G, Proprietário at Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
What a wonderful character! I truly appreciate your nice compliment and send it right back to you: you’re the type of guest/friend that makes the work/adventure worth it. Your relationship with the world and those who surround you is infectious! Come back soon my friend!

"Que figura marovilhosa! Te agradeço o seu belo elogio e te devolvo: Você é um hóspede/amigo que faz valer a aventura/trabalho de receber pessoas. Sua relação com o mundo e com aqueles que o habitam é de se contaminar. Volte logo meu amigo."

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

Words cannot describe what an amazing hostel this was. But pictures sure can and trust me when I say these pictures are completely accurate. I cannot emphasize enough how incredible of an experience it was to have the opportunity to live right in the heart of the favela. The sense of community in the neighborhood was sincere and so amiable that not once did I ever feel unsafe. The people I got to meet everyday live so passionately and with such fervor that you wonder how you could ever tear yourself away from this place to go back home. But enough of the subjective semantics. Gaga and Reza are two very friendly and accommodating hosts who run such a great hostel. The facilities are modern and the beds are impeccably clean. I have traveled quite a bit and I am not shy to say that this hostel is by far my favorite place to stay because it has the four most essential factors that is a must in any place of stay: CLEANLINESS; SAFETY; HOSPITALITY; and CULTURAL IMMERSION. There are lockers you can store your valuables. Be prepared, though, to live just like those in the favelas...meaning, you'll have to walk a good 10 minutes to the hostel from the street. But in return, you get to live 15 minutes walking distance from the Copacabana beach and minutes away from a bustling city life where you can find all the great Brasilian restaurants, bars, and bus lines for a complete Rio experience. I can't imagine a better way to acquaint oneself with Rio than to stay here and let two great hosts introduce you to a beloved city. I SHALL RETURN!!!

Room Tip: It does not matter at all. Because regardless of which room you live in, you'll still have acces...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

My stay here was from July 6 - 11, 2014.

This hostel is a hidden gem. Its location in the favela next to Leme offers the opportunity to sample life as Brazilians live it. I never once felt unsafe here, and while the climb to the hostel is no walk in the park, the view is worth it!

Gabriel, the host, is a champion. He's always available and willing to help out, whether it's teaching you common phrases in Portuguese, or pointing out the best places to eat that only locals know about. Don't be afraid to ask for suggestions on what to do.

I had an incredible experience in Rio and Gabriel's favela hostel was the biggest reason why.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

The hostel was great and the Gabriel was very nice and helpful. If you think staying in a favela is dangerous or not safe, please think again. All the people living in the favela are very helpful and nice. My stay here was a total success! If you want to meet great people and have a beautiful view every single day, this is the spot to stay at!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Kragujevac, Serbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

As a couple we visited Rio in May this year and stayed in Abracao Carioca hostel for 4 days.This was the best choice ever and we would have regret if we hadn't chosen this place.

The hostel is up to the small hill, in the safe&friendly favela near Copacabana and it offers you undescribeable view over the Rio's coast from the rooms and from the dining area (terrase) as well. It is very well connected with metro and bus station that takes you everywhere in the city.

The hostel is clean and the room that we stayed in was spacious and almost entirely in windows so we could enjoy the view from the bed when we went to sleep and when we woke up + on the terrase when having breakfast and all that with sounds of ocean and birds :)
As the day passes we would be a part of the favela's daily life routine which is something so authentic and if you don't experience it in Rio then you haven't visited it at all! We have even had luck to enjoy samba drums class of children from the favela that amazed us.

The host, Gabriel, was really kind, helpful, he managed to take us on some places in Rio that changed our perspective completelly.
I strongly recommend this hostel as it offers you not only bed and breakfast but also full authentic experience of the city and people living in as well.

Ana

Room Tip: Both rooms are good choice, but I preferred Chapeau room as it enables you to have wide look upon th...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gabriel G, Proprietário at Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Ana, Niko and myself looked just llike really old friends! Immediately we connected and our tours floated like the city was a calm sea. Santa Teresa and the world’s best “cheese bum”, the old storage, conversations about various subjects, downtown and the “old café”, well…everything felt like being in Rio again. Serbia and Brazil have a lot more in common that we would’ve imagined.
Saudade my friends!
Kragujevac, Serbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

My girlfriend and I have spent a few days in Rio in Abraco Carioca this May. While booking, we saw a lot of offers, but we were looking for something not so touristic and in a safe location near the beaches. After our stay, I can just say that it was really the best choice ever! The hostel is very clean and comfortable, and as everyone else says - it has an AMAZING view on the bay. That's something you can't really experience in the photos but you can get the hint... It's close to the beach and all the main transports to visit the city (buses and metro). And a very important thing: when you wake up with the sound of waves and birds singing it's much better than the noise of buses you get if you stay in Copacabana area :)

The favela is a very safe place, the people are friendly, you are never alone in the streets and you NEVER feel unsafe.

Gabriel is a great host, he made us feel welcome and comfortable right away. During our stay he spent a lot of time with us and it was like visiting an old friend - and now I can say I have a friend in Rio !! Thanks for everything Gabriel, our stay in Rio couldn't be even close this good if we haven't been at your place!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Saudade my friends!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I spend a few days at the Abraço Carioca this last April. Now I can't imagine another place to stay whenever I come back to Rio! The owner is the most incredible man. He is very friendly and up to help you on anything you need to enjoy the best Rio can offer. It's a cosy place with the nicest view and inside a very interesting favela community context. (Check the picture I took one day just after waking up!) The place is also a good spot to make new friends from around the world and get along with them by the city.
Perfect to spend some time with friends or even by yourself.
I'll definitely come back

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gabriel G, Proprietário at Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
This Mineiro is so cosmopolitan that reviewed us in English!
Even living in Belo Horizonte province, he is a walking source of immediate information of what’s going on around the world. And for fun and adventures as well…Lapa can tell us that.
Támas e Maria stayed here for a short period but they made it worth as for years with intensity and party! Shrimps on “Berbigão” and the popular dish on Quentinha da Neusa were real banquets to celebrate this nice encounter. I toast to this great mate a beer and a good cachaça as well!