“Amazing view and great team!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel

Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing view and great team!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

I visited Abraco Carioca Hostel less than a month ago and I received the best welcome ever. The owner was so nice and the accommodations were comfortable and clean. I must say the view from the hostel just took my breath away. Rio was amazingly beautiful and I loved every minute of it. Gabriel, the owner, was also very helpful which made my stay there even more memorable. This was my first trip too Rio and I am definitely coming back. I highly recommend Abraco Carioca, you won't regret it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Abraco Carioca is a great hostel providing a special way to experience Rio. It is located on top of a favela but the security is really good and it has a nice neighborhood. You might find it hard to walk up to the top everyday but the stunning view definitely worths. Rooms and bathroom are clean and tidy. The kitchen together with the balcony is the best part of the hostel that you can overlook the Copacabana beach. Though it is a bit hard to find the hostel for the first time, Gabriel provides very clear information to us. And actually it is a good location which takes only about 10 minutes walk to the beach. Gabriel is an amazing host who has so much passion to give us an excellent stay. He is so willing to help us out and to provide all the sightseeing information we needed. Totally recommended for staying in Abraco Carioca if you are going to Rio.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gabriel G, Proprietário at Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
It was great to get to know a little bit more about the Hong Kong culture and the sweetness from de Florence. The east meets the west for a universal hug! Those are frontiers that have collapsed because of the courage and the existence of improbable encounters. A toast to infinite life possibilities! A toast to Florence!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

I was there over new years and wow, what an amazing experience seeing the fireworks was! We watched them from the terrace, which is also a common area/kitchen. Because of the hostel's great location in a favela at one end of Copacabana beach, you can see the whole beach from there. The view is breathtaking. The owner and host, Gaga, is a very warm person who really goes out of his way taking care of his guests. You can tell he loves being a host. He worked in the favela before so people who live there know him well. The community is very safe and friendly. The location is about a 10 minute walk down to the beach (which was important to me). Gaga also loves taking his guests around his city. He showed me some very cool things like the best traditional samba in Rio and some very cool food spots -- places locals go to, not the tourist spots.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank Kieran K. M
Here in Rio, Kieran’s nickname quickly became “Carinho” as they sound alike in portuguese. But this proximity between the name and this affection gesture couldn’t be more exact.
Kieran and his “own timing” promoted an avalanche of good sounds and colors here in Abraço, changing everything around him. Including his own name. By his gestures of tenderness and affection he left us lessons and a great feeling of saudade!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Abraco Carioca - Favela Hostel is really a gem of hostel. Located in one of the favelas at the beginning of Copacabana (Leme), it has an absolutely breath-taking view of Copacabana beach. I saw the New Year's fireworks from here and it was indescribable. Gabriel, the proprietor and host, is super friendly and fun. He went out of his way to make sure I had a great time, even taking me to some of his favorite locations in the city that really made me feel like I was getting to see the real Rio. The accommodations are simple, but comfortable, and the neighborhood super safe. It is really a cultural experience to see how folks in these poor communities live. I would 100% recommend Abraco Carioca to any traveler!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What can I say about Reza? This charismatic guy, a blend of Iranian, American and Brazilian. A blend of stories and nice desires. His titanic laugh still echoes by the narrow streets of the favela! Without a doubt (right Reza) I can say that I have another brother now!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Totally recommend going here! The hostel is very nice, and despite the location, I always felt safer here, even after dark, than in the more touristic parts of Rio. The hostel is very nice, and the kitchen has an unbeatable view. Gabriel is a great host, who goes out of his way to give you an excellent stay. I would definitely come back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
To receive such a good review from Tove means a lot for us in Abraço because of her adventurous profile and large experience around the world. This way we can dimension our own strenghs. Tove, you are a sweet and fearless girls and we are so proud of hosting you over here. Come back anytime you want and you’ll be received with open arms for a tight carioca hug!
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed at Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel for 7 days and really enjoyed my time there. The hostel is located in super safe and quiet favela - Chapeu Mangueira.
Despite of it's location almost on top of the hill it takes you only 10 mins to get to the beach and it s really close to the main atractions...to a metro station...to a bus stop...and....to whatever you need :)
The rooms and bathrooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the kitchen is very well equipped. And one of the greatest thing about the place is the ocean view from the terrace ..it s just spectacular..dont miss it ;)

And I d like to say thanks to Gabriel for making me feel like home, for goodmorning coffee, for that great time out...just thanks for everything :)

I highly recommend this place:)

...and I will definetly stay there again if im in Rio some day;)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gabriel G, Proprietário at Abraco Carioca- Favela hostel, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
I still taste in my mouth the delicious Russian pancake that this lovely guest and friend prepared herself in our shared kitchen….and everytime I look at my fridge I immediately remember her, because there it is the magnet that I got as a gift with this image from Moscow! To host such special people as Kenia is my way of traveling abroad without leaving Rio. With their personal stories that I hear and others from the countries that my guests come from…My trip to Russia was great since I had a perfect “host”!
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I can't even describe how good was my staying in the Abraco Carioca Favela Hostel. First of all Gabriel is a great host. He is always there, ready to help and make you feel at home. He is extremely friendly and often takes his guests around the city to show them the real deal. The hostel is in a great location as you can see from the pics. The community of Chapeu Mangueira is very welcoming. I always felt safe there, even more than other touristy places, at nay hour of the day or night. Leme beach is only 10 min away. The place is close to bus stops and grocery stores. The restaurants down the hill are just the best, serving real Brazilian food at a great price. After staying here, I cannot see myself staying in any other boring place like Copacabana or Ipanema. If you want the real Rio experience I really encourage anyone to come here. Abraco Carioca just attract the best people. I met so many good friends here. I will be back soon.. ;) and I can't wait. Cheers everyone!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Fabrizio P
What can I say about my really first guest? It couldn't have being better! I tell you Fabrizio, that I fell the same that you do: our relationship as host and guest became friendship for sure. Thank you for making your time here a big party, congregating with my family, my wife and others guest-friends! I thank to the odds for having you as my first guest and newest friend!