“Gorgeous”

$55.00*
Rio de Janeiro Half-Day Walking Tour
Ranked #46 of 738 things to do in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Beautiful architecture, a must see for anyone into art, churches and architecture.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Compared with European catholic churches, this church have little to offer. Some unusual roof paintings, nice enough ornamented and a nice break from the noise outside makes it worthy a 10 min peek inside. Photos allowed.

Reviewed May 8, 2011

This is a beautiful cathedral, but not special. There are many that are bigger, prettier, more important or interesting artifacts, etc. It is well worth visiting in Rio. However, if it was in, say, Florence Italy, it wouldn't even make the guide books.

Reviewed November 20, 2009

It is impossible not to stop and admire this building when you are walking through Rio financial/historical center... although other constructions also enrich the area, it is the Church of Our Lady of the Candelária that attracts a special admiration. Marble, bronze, paintings... there are lots of art works in this church which history dates back to the XVIII century. In the sidewalk in front of it there are red drawings which remember us the tragic event known as ‘The Candelária slaughtering’ (1993). Once I have a feverish admiration for this kind of building I have to say that you must dedicate some minutes to know the church… and if you can reach its interior the appreciation will be even better!

Reviewed July 7, 2008

I’m german and in Rio around two weeks ago I did a tour
With a tourguide called Lisa Schnittger. She is doing a walking tour
Called: “Colonial Rio Tour” or “Colonial Rio Tour and Santa Teresa”.
I highly recommend that tour, because you see much more than in
Many bus tours in Rio, I got a lot information and I was so glad in
Seeing the heart of the city and to hear about the History.
We have seen many important churches, the old cathedral,
The Candelária Church and others, we saw cultural centers and important squares like the 15 of November square and the Palast of the Governeurs, called Paço Imperial.
Than we made a break at the traditional Café Colombo and at the and we
Went by an old tram through the picturesque neighborhood “Santa Teresa”
I think this tour is really special and it would be important to include it
In the Loneley Planet.