“Bit of Adventure. Incredible View.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pedra Bonita

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Bit of Adventure. Incredible View.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

A brilliant adventure with an excellent view when you reach the top!

Pain to get to by car or taxi. I instructed my taxi driver to go to the paragliding school.. They put on the night fare '2', as it is a very steep journey and ruins there car (I smelt the engine overheating). This is standard for the 2 fare.

There is another hill to get up to paragliding school, my driver couldn't make it up this hill (it is very steep) so i got out and walked up. The trial is by a hut on the right just by the car park, you can't miss it.

Bring lots of water as it is a fair climb. It feels like your almost at the top everytime you turn but you never are! Eventually you reach the top with it's amazing views and you can finally soak in the atmosphere.

Very safe, two military police up the top who take your photo if you ask.

When I got down I faced a problem as there was no taxi waiting for me (I didn't expect there to be). I hung around at the bottom hoping another tourist would get dropped off but one didn't come. Eventually I started to walk down the road and stuck my hand out for a bus (Didn't know where it was going!) which took me to the bottom of the long road and one of the main roads in and out of rio with lots of buses! I later found out the bus went into the Rochina Favela so probably don't stay on it!

Took me around 35 mins to get to from barra and 30 minutes to get back from. I left the hotel at 9 and was back for 12.30!

2 Thank editshoot

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“One Hike, Two Vistas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Just one day after hiking up Morro da Urca, I decided to hike the trail up to Pedra Bonita. In comparing the hikes, I can say that this hike is twice as easy at the Morro da Urca hike. You are going uphill, but the path is much less steep, and there are sections where you can recover your breath.

But, the views? My goodness! Once you reach the top (25 minutes, at a leisurely pace), you will be greeted by fabulous views looking west at Barra da Tijuca and looking east to São Conrado. Looking east, you can Corcovado, Dois Irmãos, Ipanema, and even Lagoa. The top of Pedra Bonita is large and flat and unintimidating to my mild acrophobia. My climbing companion sat on a ledge with a 100 foot sheer drop, which I could not have done. But, I was comfortable staying at least ten feet back from the cliff edges.

Pedra Bonita is an interesting part of the Rio landscape. As mentioned earlier, this mini-range separates São Conrado and Barra da Tijuca. From the Barra side, this ranges looks like a sleeping giant. The "head' of the giant contains Pedra Gavea, which I'm told is a much more difficult height with a portion of the ascent not recommended for anyone with even a hint of acrophobia. Pedra Bonita is the near-mesa looking feature that looks like the folded hands on the chest of the sleeping giant. From Pedra Bonita, you can also see a natural erosional feature in the side of Pedra Gavea that is described to be the face of the giant. I will try to illustrate with some photos.

2 Thank Dean H
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“An easy walk to an incredible view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Difficult to get to without a car I imagine (we had one so could drive to the entrance of the track) but so worth it. It took us about 30 minutes to get to the top of the trail which is not too tough on the legs and lungs. The view is worth every sweat bead and I really wish we'd taken a picnic to sit up their and enjoy it a little longer as the day was incredible and the view AMAZING!

1 Thank OliviaCoote
Macae, RJ
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Sunday Day trip to Pedra Bonita”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Reagan and I took a Riosensations tour with Roberto to the Tijuca forrest and ended up hiking to Pedra Bonita! It was well worth the hike to the top as we had amazing views of Pedra Gavea, dos irmaos, barra tijuca and many other sites from the 600meter rock. It was a perfect trip for a Sunday morning. For Roberto's contact; riosensations@yahoo.com.br ; 21 979517240 phone

Chicago, Illinois
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great view of the surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

You can hike or take a car(almost to the top). This is the place where you can either sign up for hand-gliding or just enjoy a drink and the wonderful view ahead of you.
Truly recommend it if you are in Rio for more days.

Visited June 2013