“Good location”

Ranked #135 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Finland
“Good location”
Reviewed December 9, 2009

An average hotel in an excellent spot between metro station and Copacabana beach. It's near the western end of the beach, in a walking distance from Ipanema.

Helpful and nice staff. A nice pool on the top floor.

Stayed November 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Israel
Reviewed November 2, 2009

The staff is very nice, the rooms are clean and nice, no such a good view but it is one minute walk from the copacabana beach. The brekfast was usual. The walls in the room are very thin so sometimes at night you can hear the people in other rooms and corridor but not such a big deal also the swimming pool is very small but again who cares one minute and you at the beach. I felt safe in the street near the hotel and also I took a walk to the beach at night and it was OK. Many restaurants and bars nearby and also a supermarket. Bottom line- Recommended.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank IsraelAndreyka
California
Reviewed September 16, 2009

I considered this is an excellent hotel. The lobby was very small, but I had a big room with 2 double bed and still had plenty of room to walk around, the room was super clean in both bedroom and bathroom area, there was no bad hotel room smell because the cleaner lady left the window open to air out the hotel room smell all day long, we have to closed the window when we got back to the room. The receptionists and doorman were very courteous and helpful. Hotel also had good breakfast every morning. This hotel is only 2 short walking blocks from Copacabana beach, 2 blocks from the subway station, restaurants, supermarkets. I really like this hotel, I would recommend this hotel to friends and family. This hotel gave better exchange rate than the exchange at the airport.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MytripCalifornia
Sao Paulo
Reviewed September 27, 2007

I stayed many times at vilamar copacabana and this hotel is one of the best or the best cost/benefit option in Rio.180R$ during the we for a double, 160R$ single incl breakfast&taxes
Most of the hotels are very old in Rio and this one is totally new (2002) and modern
1 block from the beach
supermarket at the corner
Bedroom and bathroom very good and clean.
wood carpet in the room
bathroom: granit, powerfull showers
Lovely pool on roof with good view
Breakfasts appetising although any espresso
cheap and complete room service menu

Stayed September 2007
Sheffield, England
Reviewed July 13, 2006

We stayed at the Vilamar for 2 nights as part of our holiday in Brazil (with First Choice). We enjoyed our hotel and could not complain about anything. The hotel is in a good location in a busy part of Rio. It is very close to the beach, bars and restaurants. The rooms are a decent size with a good size bathroom and are very clean. There is also a mini bar in your room, the cost is extra. The safe cost 2 reals a night (around 50p). There was a small pool, gym and bar on the roof.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank VW-Sheff
Falls Church, VA
Reviewed May 19, 2006

At first I thought this was going to be a good place to stay.

Once I got in it was a different story. One day, I used the jacuzi in my room and as i pressed the button to turn it on (while I was in the water) I got an electric shock. Yes, not kidding, an electric shock. They did end up giving me another room, but refused to give me a discount on the overall bill. I tried to reach a supervisor multiple times, but felt like Fernando ( the receptionist) a balled Greek looking guy in his 50s, was trying to prevent this. It was truly my impression that they could care less. I even threatend to contact Rio´s consumer protection. Fernando the receptionist, said ´go ahead.´

Once I got the new room more problems surfaced.....the phones did not work properly, could not get any messages from people who tried to call me. Last but not least, the door knob was falling off the door. Truly a dissapointing stay at what looked like a good hotel.

Stayed May 2006
3 Thank Novalis116
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed May 8, 2005

Hotel is two blocks from Copacabana. It is a very narrow building and there are only 7 or 8 rooms per floor. The door is thin and I heard a lot of noise from the corridor (cleaners, other guests?), and not so much from the street. The ac was a problem. Very noisy and either it gets too cold or too hot. When I walked in the bathroom it looked like a cave with a waterfall. Everyting except the toilet is made of granite, including the walls. The shower must be pouring 100 gallans per minute. Very, very good. One morning they had forgotten to replace my shampoo and toilet paper. The pool is on the roof, but is the size of two king size beds. Well, the Copacabana is nearby, so that should be no problem. The hotel staff was very friendly and let me take a shower at the pool area when I already had checked out. With pain in my hart I had to leave Rio. But when I come back, I will probably choose a different hotel closer to Ipenema beach. Also nearby in the same street towards the beach is a very nice little restaurant. The place was packed from 8PM till 3AM.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business