“Amazing view, company & Hostel - 100% a Must stay”

Vidigalhouse Hostel
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Myself and my boyfriend started our 6 month backpacking trip in Rio and originally was only due to stay for 3 days, however after our 1st night in Vidigalhouse, we loved it so much we stayed for 1 week. It truly was the best hostel off our trip, run by the most amazing family, Bruno, Fernanda and Victoria are the best. They treat you like you are part off there family from the moment you walk in, the hostel itself is small but its perfect location if you really want to experience a true local experience and amazing value for money. Bruno took us on a private hike to the two Brother mountains which is a must, also to a local football match and the BBQ was so much fun, where there is unlimited food and drinks for such a small price and you get to dance with there beautiful daughter Julia. The view is spectacular and location is literally 10-15 min's walk to the beach and easy access to all main attractions. It was the safest place I felt in Rio and would 100% return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kirsty M

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed in Vidigalhouse for two weeks. It was the best experience of my life: the location of the hostel is just perfect and the view is breathtaking. But the best thing, was the service and the company, Fer, Bruno, Vic and Julia were the best! They made me feel at home from the minute I got there and they were helpful and funny the whole time I stayed there. I really hope I can go back there sometime. Thank you very much for everything. And I hope to see you here in Mexico in August !

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Antos G
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed in Vidigalhouse over the New Year and it was one of the best things about this stay (my second) in Rio. The 3-bunk room I stayed in was a little cramped but the bunks were comfortable, the room was pleasantly airconditioned, there were spacious lockers to store valuables in, and my dormmates were super nice guys. Indeed, the best aspect of the guesthouse was the great social interaction with both the wonderful host family and the other guests. Who cared if your room was small when you spent most of your time chatting and laughing with new friends either in the comfy living/reception room downstairs or the breezy terrace upstairs with those sweeping views of sea, beach, and city?

Bruno, Fernanda, and Victoria were the ideal hosts, more like family than hostel masters. They referred me to a great little restaurant downhill on my first afternoon where I had a nice meal and a wonderful neighborhood feel. And that feijoada lunch they prepared for us for New Year's Day was the best. (They drove everyone off to Leblon Beach that afternoon and I regret passing up on that to prepare for my departure early next morning.)

Vidigal itself was a terrific experience, a taste of real Rio life with a day-to-day pace and an authentic community atmosphere without the tourist glitz. I could stroll around the hilly streets without any sense of danger or alienation, contrary to what one might expect of a favela. The first evening, I went down the hill with a fellow-guest to a community samba party, to listen to great music and sip caipirinhas from street stalls. Vidigal Beach, a short stroll away, was lovely and private, without the jampacked conditions of Ipanema or Copacabana. And i got so used to clinging to a mototaxi on my way back up to the hostel at all hours. (The only time mototaxis disappeared, in the morning after Reveillon, well, it was good exercise hiking up on foot!) It is a bit far from other centers of tourist interest, but once you get used to the transport system it does not pose too much of a problem.

All in all, a very memorable stay in a memorable place.

Room Tip: I thought the 3-person room was ideal.
Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank arthil_11
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed in Vidigal House for two nights after reading rave reviews.

The hosts could not have been more hospitable and the view of Leblon and Ipanema beaches from the terrace is amazing, particularly if you get up early to catch the sun rise which is stunning. We were initially a little concerned by the hostel being located in a favela but we felt very safe and actually really liked the community feel.

All in all, a great hostel made special by Bruno and Fernanda the hosts. This is a great way to see a different side to Rio and I really hope we make it back soon!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank unvexed
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I volunteered with i-i in Rio last summer for 4 weeks. Although I wouldn't particularly recommend this part of my visit due to the projects bad organisation and tricky volunteer coordinator I wouldn't trade my experience of Rio. I was meant to be staying in Copacobana and wasn't happy about being moved to Vidigal as I was coming to Rio alone and thought the idea of living in a favela was scary.. which indeed it was when I turned up in the dark after a taxi ride with someone I couldn't converse with (I don't speak portugese). I was welcomed to the hostel by Fernanda who showed me to my dorm, and in the morning I woke to a completely different view of Vidigal! It was bright and colouful, bustling with smiling locals who would talk away whilst you nod politely. It didn't even matter what the conversation was about you made friends instantly! Bruno, Fernanda, Victoria and Julia feel like my little Brazilian family and I would love to go back and see them/ live in Vidigal once again. Fernanda and Brunos english was improving everyday around the guests, and Victoria (Fernandas sister) speaks it fluently so there is no worries about not being able to communicate. There's decent wifi and heaps of Tv channels with films in English if you dont feel like moving off the sofa. Bruno has an amazing knowledge of the city and where is the best place to go out every night, and where to go in the day (including a secluded walk up the 2 brothers to the best view of the city in my opinion). They also introduced us to their family who live in Vidigal, and we were invited to family parties, really getting the feeling of being a local in a favela in Rio - my favourite parts of the city! I'm a relatively small, blonde girl and I never felt scared or threatened in Vidigal. I was more than pleasantly surprised with my stay at VidigalHouse, and as cliche as it may sound i have made friends for life. Vidigal is my favourite part of Rio and I hope to return one day!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Helena U
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Vidigalhouse hostel was literally like a home away from home for the 2 months I was in Rio. From the moment I arrived I felt like I was welcomed into Bruno and Fernanda's family and cared for like one of their own for the entire length of my stay. Not only was the hostel well equipped with a kitchen, three bathrooms with hot and cold showers and always cleaned, but Bruno, Fernanda, Victoria and Natalia were always there to help me out with everything from where to travel in rio to small things like what bus to catch and good places to eat. I felt so at home living with these guys and in Vidigal itself as well. It is a very safe and welcoming favela where I think you get to see more of the real Brazil than in other areas. You also get the best views in Rio and are so close to both the beach and the city making it the perfect place to stay. There are plenty of places to eat as well as home cooked takeaway food or a supermarket where you can buy things to cook yourself. I can definitely recommend staying here over anywhere else in Rio because you truly will have a comfortable stay and the time of your life - and probably never want to go back to your real home! Erin

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Erin M
Reviewed December 7, 2013

In one sentence, I loved my stay at Vidigalhouse hostel!

Vidigalhouse hostel is not really big, which is nice as you get to know the owners and the other residents very well. There was always a very warm and friendly atmosphere. There is no individual rooms but there is a three persons room available for people who would rather not share their room with too many people. A good feature of the hostel is the kitchen, as it means that you can cook meals whenever you feel like it. This adds to the home-like feeling of that place. The main plus of the hostel is its terrace. It has the most amazing view on Rio's beaches on one side and the Favela on the other. The terrace is also very pleasant to have a drink in the evening. There is a computer with internet, available without extra charges. Finally, the premises were always very clean and this area of the Favela was perfectly safe.

Also, the owners, Bruno and Fernanda, are possibly the nicest people I have met during my stay in Brazil. They have always been very useful in suggesting activities or places to go see. They were always very friendly and attentive. For instance, one day I was very tired after work so Fernanda made me a great Caipirinha, which was very needed and appreciated !

In short, I strongly recommend VidigalHouse Hostel, especially to people travelling alone and those who want to have a real experience of Rio.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo