“Dont expect to get there by taxi at night!)”
Review of Rio Palazzo

Rio Palazzo
Ranked #31 of 329 Rio de Janeiro B&B and Inns
Warsaw, Poland
“Dont expect to get there by taxi at night!)”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is actually quite funny. We spend a carnival in this place and it is brilliant yet try coming back by taxi at 4-5am:) You say Santa Theresa and they kick you out, You dont say ..and as soon as they realize whey they are going they still kick you out. Not sure why it is. Some comment it is bad for taxi suspension, others crime level in ST or just no trips back and a long trip up the hill. Anyway if you are not too bothered this is the one of THE BEST places I have stayed in. Really chilled and relaxed atmosphere thanks to Adam - the host. The interior is like a home taken out of the 70's - with lots of art in it. Not like a hostel - a real home. And the views - breath taking. Even if you can not make it to Rio Pallazzo if staying in Rio - deinetly recomend santa teresa district!!!

Room Tip: Take the one on the top of the villa - the views of Jesus and the balcony rules.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Roboteur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Portland
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at the Rio Palazzo in February 2013 during Carnival. Adam was extremely helpful and Paulo was a blast. The house is mixture of Old meets new and the view is breathe taking. Everyday, even though I woke up late everyday, they provided me with breakfast and made sure that I had any directions and info I needed to find my way around Rio. Rio is a huge city and although everything was in Portuguese I was able to find my way around with the help of Adam. They also helped me when I found my bank card had been hijacked by someone in the states and I needed to have my card blocked. They were able to get me on the phone right away with my bank so I could stop my funds from being totally drained.

Room Tip: If you stay in the penthouse, stay in the one with a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Allen H
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I cannot thank Adam and Paulo enough for making our stay so wonderful. The location is perfect and it is really easy to get in and out of town. Adam helped us navigate public transportation AND helped us plan the rest of our trip. Indispensable help. The house is huge, private, super clean, and quiet. Paulo makes a killer breakfast (the scrambled eggs!) and is a great host. We can't recommend this place enough!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at Rio Palazzo in the beautiful, arty area of Santa Teresa for 2 weeks in April 2013 in a room on the top floor with access to a lovely big terrace. Every morning I woke up to a wonderful view of the Sugar Loaf Mountain and the statue of Christ the Redeemer at Corcovado.
Our host Paulo made the most amazing breakfast for us with a lot of Brazilian fruits and Adam (and David) were very helpful and gave us a lot of useful information about Rio, transportation etc. We also went on a terrific hike with Adam, David and friends in the urban rainforest (Floresta da Tijuca) where you could have a swim in the waterfalls!
The atmosphere in the house and among the guests is very friendly and homey and the house is beautifully decorated. It’s located in a safe neighborhood and there’s public transportation just outside the house.
I can truly recommend this accommodation to anyone and I wish to come back soon!

Room Tip: Top floor room with terrace!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed at Rio Palazzo early in 2013 and was delighted to have found this hidden gem in Santa Teresa and a relaxed, attentive host in Adam. Rio Palazzo is located in a tranquil part of the city, long renowned for its quirky architecture and the views of Corcavado from my newly refurbished room echoed the ambience. Adam went out of his way to help me get my local phone card working and produced a delicious breakfast that was eaten by the assembled guests over a leisurely and interesting conversation. Don't hesitate to visit Rio Palazzo — you have a treat in store.

Room Tip: try for a room with a view of Corcavado -- you might get to see some wildlife
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Rio Palazzo for 2 weeks in 2012. The house itself is located in Santa Teresa, a safe and quiet neighborhood situated on a mountainside overlooking downtown Rio. You can see a great view of the Christ statue from the balcony! The house and rooms were very elegant. Paulo the owner of the BnB was very knowledgable, friendly and helpful in providing information to us during our stay in Rio. There is public transportion nearby that can take you to the subway station. All the major tourist destinations are a short distance away. I even walked to the Christ statue from the house (2 hours). I would definetly stay here again the next time I visit Rio!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bruxelles
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed with 2 friends at Adam's place in Rio for 3 nights in total. The house is located a bit far away from the center, but it's the heart of Rio you're going to experience if you stay in Santa Theresa. Lots of nightlife (restaurants, bars, cafés, shops etc) and easily accessible by public transport from the center and beaches.

We were quite stunned by the view from the bedroom in which we were staying. Corcovado on one side and Pao de Azucar with the bay on the other. I would recommend you to stay there just for that.

Breakfast was included and could feed more than people than we were. Also, if you get a chance to taste Paulo's scrambled eggs, go for it. Adam gave us great tips about the city (transport, markets etc.) and is very knowledgeable about Rio.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends