“Best hostel in South America!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Discovery Hostel

Discovery Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Best hostel in South America!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I absolutely LOVE this hostel. I was supposed to stay 3 nights and by the end, I was there for 2 weeks...but could have easily stayed longer! (erm, I´ll be back in September!) Enrique, Zion, Javi, Sacha, Sebastian and the team are absolutely the best team I´ve met so far. This was my first stop in my solo trip around South America, and they made me feel so at ease, helped me make the most of Rio with a super detailed map...and even helped me plan my route for the next 6 months!

The hostel is in a great location, Gloria, so right by Lapa where all the night life is. The hostel itself is awesome! It is spacious, homely and very clean. The girls dorm was super spacious, more than enough room for all our things and a very big bathroom! And the breakfast - YUM! And you have to try the Caiprinihas made by Enrique - wow!

The vibe in the hostel is really cool. Everyone gets on, goes out together but it´s not intrusive. It´s not a party hostel, it´s just friendly, relaxed and fun. So, don´t bother staying in Ipenena, stay here. You really will not regret it!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Poonam D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Within minutes of booking a six night stay, I received a personal email confirmation from the hostel including directions on how to find them. Having checked in, Sebastian sat down with us and gave us a city orientation. On a map of Rio, he highlighted the attractions, how to reach them by bus and metro, offered information about which cash points to use (in Gloria Metro), booked us onto a couple of tours (walking and favella) and offered to investigate some other options I was interested in. Within minutes I had all the information needed to enjoy a week in Rio. Our (small) double room opened directly onto the communal courtyard, where the tables were put away at 11 pm, so noise was a non-issue. The shared bathroom facilities were clean, as was the communal kitchen. Breakfasts were substantial and the courtyard a great place to chat with travellers from many different nations. The staff were great, no question was too much. Above and beyond the call of duty, it was great to have Enrique join a group of us for a night of dancing in Lapa.

2 Thank carovitch
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Great place to stay - I already stayed there twice! Not only is the staff is super friendly and helpful, the hostel is in a beautiful house with wood flooring, high ceilings and it is really beautifully decorated, with great taste and a lot of attention to detail. Everything is super clean - all in one, you'll feel at home instantly. Santa Teresa and Lapa are just around the corner and Ipanema and Copacabana are just a short metro ride away (it is less than a minute to walk to the metro).

Room Tip: Don't stay anywhere els!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 5 nights - 2 in a double room and 3 in a 6 bed dorm.

The Good.....

Good location, very clean, modern, safe, some staff are very helpful, comfortable beds, excellent breakfast, lockers in dorm rooms, good kitchen facilities - good facilities in general including reliable wifi. A friendly cat!

The average....

It does feel a bit cramped...the common areas are not big enough and there aren't enough bathrooms when the hostel is at full capacity. Additionally, two showers are situated in an open bathroom outside a double room, which made being in a double feel less private. In lots of ways, they have utilised the space well, such as within the dorm rooms, but the lack of space overall is a slight hinderance.

The ugly....

Overall, staff were very good, but a few things grated me/us. For example, we arrived at the hostel after a very long bus journey and were understandably tired and not our normal chatty selves. After greeting us with a smile etc., we then overheard the owner make a couple of derogative remarks about us. We put this to one side, but this happened a few times during our 5 night stay. It's unfortunate - I think it's better to speak with and get to know people before making ill informed judgements. I decided to voice my annoyance via the review, simply due to the vibe I believe he initially created and then reinforced. It's a bad reflection on him and therefore, the hostel, which is a shame, as this should be at least 4/5, but this type of attitude, an immature attitude and an attitude where you disrespect paying guests...especially before getting to know them.....is not a positive.

I wanted to give a positive review, but this really let the place down.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Travelling164
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed during carnival time at Discovery in their private room. Great place to stay, good room and breakfast.
2 mins from metro and safe area.
During carnival the guys were fantastic and made our stay Rio really enjoyable.
Would happily stay there again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

We read all the online reviews about the discovery and were afraid that we would be let down as we had been in the past when we went to a hostel holding high expectations. That was not the case. The staff was downright lovely! The breakfast great, and best of all they wre very helpful in explaining what to do and what not to do in the crazy city that is rio

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I've been staying in hostels for over a year now and this is quite simply the best of the bunch.

- excellent enthusiastic staff, the complete opposite of the usual jaded lot.
- an insane breakfast; freshly cooked cake, tarts, strong coffee, lots of fruits, oats, decent cereal, toast etc. I've yet to have better.
- super clean common areas and rooms.
- everything is pretty new.
- they have a cat!

If you've every thought about starting a hostel you've probably imagined something very similar to Discovery Hostel.