“What customer service should be like”
Review of Discovery Hostel

Discovery Hostel
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights in January towards the end of a two month trip in S America. I have also travelled quite widely on other continents and have to say that Discovery Hostel ranks as one of the best hostels I have stayed at. The location is spot on, just a couple of minutes from Gloria Metro, the place is kept cleaner than some far more expensive places I have stayed, there is good aircon in the dorm rooms, filtered water is available on tap (a money saver, very convenient and good for the environment) and the area feels very safe. Most important, however, are the staff. I have just moved on to a quite expensive 'boutique' hotel in another city, splashing out at the end of my trip. Whereas the staff at Discovery actively volunteered information on places to go, places not to go after dark, and provided a general orientation in the big city, I have had to extract this sort of information piece by piece from my new place.

At Discovery they want you to have a great experience in the city they love; in my view they succeeded, in style.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Discovery Hostel

Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

The guys here really put the effort in. The hostel looks beautiful, full of handmade knick knacks and artworks. The staff are really friendly and helped me out, above and beyond the call of duty, on a number of occasions. The location is perfect for access to the city. The rooms are kept cool at night and it's pretty quiet too. Ideal for solo travellers!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed 5 nights here on our 1 month trip cross south america november/december 2013 with my fiancé and got to tell you, this is the best hostel i ve ever stayed in ever yet!!! stuff is just awe, location is suburb and the atmosphere is the far way the best I'm ever experienced and i ve travelled a significant part of the world, loved Rio and all the fellas we met there!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I spent the last week of my trip in South America at Discovery Hostel and it was by far the best place I'd stayed during my 3 month trip. Perfect location next to Gloria metro station with easy access to the rest of the city, staff were friendly and very helpful and took the time to go through a map of Rio when we arrived to point out the best spots and how to get there on public transport.
The hostel is in a beautiful building,the decor is incredible and the dorms and communal areas are kept immaculately clean. I cannot recommend this hostel enough!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Discovery hostel was the first hostel I had stayed in once arriving in Brazil and I cannot fault it in anyway. The rooms were a good size, not at all cramped, especially considering I stayed in a 9 bed dorm. The bathroom, rather the whole of the hostel was clean and was cleaned all throughout the day. The staff were so helpful and down to earth, so much so that I didn't know whether they were the guests or the staff.
As with most parts of Rio, you would have to be careful. But the location of Discovery is great. It is walking distance to the Lapa steps, as well as a metro and bus station no more than five minutes walk away. From there we were able to get the bus to Copacabana, Christo and Sugar Loaf.
The breakfast was also great as they had variety each day and it easily set us up for our day of site-seeing.
Would definitely recommend this hostel to anybody staying in Rio. It was great fun, clean and an excellent location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Me and my friend have been travelling around Brazil for 5 months, and this is by far the best hostel we have stayed at! Great rooms at reasonable rates, with individual reading lights, plug sockets and lockers. The staff were brilliant and really get involved in the night life/ are there to answer any questions you may have. Very clean establishment, with lots of shower utilities. The atmosphere around the hostel was brilliant - people from all ages and walks of life! Great location too, easy access to Lapa, Santa Teresa and the tourist attractions. If you get the chance to stay here do it!

Room Tip: female 6 bed dorm with own bathroom, highly recommended
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Unfortunately my friend and I had our bags, including our passports, cameras and phones stolen while we were out and about in Rio on the last day of our stay in Rio. The folks at the hostel were so generous and genuinely concerned with our well being and with helping us contact people and helping us with the embassy paperwork.

Without Rob, Maria, Zion, Enrique and the other staff there, I don't know what we would have done without their patience, understanding and kindness. When we walked through those doors to this hostel it felt so safe and welcoming to be there. I certainly recommend this place to everyone. (Ps don't take your passport out with you.)

The rooms were clean and fun. The breakfast was tasty. And the people were all amazing.

Thanks for everything!!