“Best hostel in South America!”
Review of Discovery Hostel

Discovery Hostel
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I spent the last week of my trip in South America at Discovery Hostel and it was by far the best place I'd stayed during my 3 month trip. Perfect location next to Gloria metro station with easy access to the rest of the city, staff were friendly and very helpful and took the time to go through a map of Rio when we arrived to point out the best spots and how to get there on public transport.
The hostel is in a beautiful building,the decor is incredible and the dorms and communal areas are kept immaculately clean. I cannot recommend this hostel enough!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Discovery hostel was the first hostel I had stayed in once arriving in Brazil and I cannot fault it in anyway. The rooms were a good size, not at all cramped, especially considering I stayed in a 9 bed dorm. The bathroom, rather the whole of the hostel was clean and was cleaned all throughout the day. The staff were so helpful and down to earth, so much so that I didn't know whether they were the guests or the staff.
As with most parts of Rio, you would have to be careful. But the location of Discovery is great. It is walking distance to the Lapa steps, as well as a metro and bus station no more than five minutes walk away. From there we were able to get the bus to Copacabana, Christo and Sugar Loaf.
The breakfast was also great as they had variety each day and it easily set us up for our day of site-seeing.
Would definitely recommend this hostel to anybody staying in Rio. It was great fun, clean and an excellent location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Me and my friend have been travelling around Brazil for 5 months, and this is by far the best hostel we have stayed at! Great rooms at reasonable rates, with individual reading lights, plug sockets and lockers. The staff were brilliant and really get involved in the night life/ are there to answer any questions you may have. Very clean establishment, with lots of shower utilities. The atmosphere around the hostel was brilliant - people from all ages and walks of life! Great location too, easy access to Lapa, Santa Teresa and the tourist attractions. If you get the chance to stay here do it!

Room Tip: female 6 bed dorm with own bathroom, highly recommended
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Unfortunately my friend and I had our bags, including our passports, cameras and phones stolen while we were out and about in Rio on the last day of our stay in Rio. The folks at the hostel were so generous and genuinely concerned with our well being and with helping us contact people and helping us with the embassy paperwork.

Without Rob, Maria, Zion, Enrique and the other staff there, I don't know what we would have done without their patience, understanding and kindness. When we walked through those doors to this hostel it felt so safe and welcoming to be there. I certainly recommend this place to everyone. (Ps don't take your passport out with you.)

The rooms were clean and fun. The breakfast was tasty. And the people were all amazing.

Thanks for everything!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Had a great time at this hostel! The staff were super friendly and met some great other travellers. Close to lapa for the nightlife and had a metro station 2 minutes walk away, easy access to the major sites. The hostel also arranged some great tours. Would definitely recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed at Discovery a whole week during Nov 2013 and I would love to come back soon. It was amazing staying there, especially traveling solo for the first time to Rio to attend a concert. You definitely can see the love these guys have put into offering a unique place where travelers can meet other travelers, chill and rest as much as they like to, and also enjoy the amazing city that Rio is. The house is really pretty, full of little details that surprise you once you notice them. There are tons of details! And they give the hostel a unique vibe of being young and adventurous. I think this reflects the fact that the staff and owners are such a young crowd and come from all over the world. The whole place is cleaned on a daily basis, beds are SO comfortable and guests' mood is influenced positively by all of this. I would definitely describe Discovery as welcoming, yet very unique and stylish.

Discovery is located very near Lapa, a place that is very popular among locals and foreigners for the party scene on weekends. The metro station (Gloria) is just around the corner, which allows you to move almost everywhere in Rio, and there is a pharmacy and a super market really close as well. It's amazing that being such a cool place, and being visited by foreigners who enjoy partying while traveling, you can sleep and rest there as much as you like. After 10pm, the staff makes sure the volume is kept really low! They also offer a very nice breakfast which isn't complete without the experience of sitting with other guests and getting to know what are they up to and where do they come from.

I just think this place is amazing and would definitely come back, not just for the place for the staff. I would like to thank the staff for being so welcoming and nice with me, giving me advice on moving around Rio, taking us out on weekends, fooling around at 3am drinking mango juice and guaraná and most importantly, receiving the concert ticket, keeping it safe until I arrived and making it posible for me to attend a dream concert!!!! Zion, Lorraine, Enrique, Robby, Federicka, Isabella, thank you so much for everything and hope to see you soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank felipemerchan47
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Having stayed in numerous hostels around the globe, you really know your onto something special upon walking into Discovery Hostel. This place has such a good vibe, coming not only from how it looks but the way the staff greet you and welcome you into their home. Its got a real boutique-hostel feel to it, its charming and always had fresh flowers, the dorm rooms are cozy and comfy, the commom areas are really pretty, its both social and relaxed and has something for everyone. There's no curfew and you can check in at anytime, which comes in handy for those international Rio flight times. Travelling solo to Rio was a bit of a scary thought but I made so many friends at Discovery and was never alone. Staying in Gloria, you get to expereince Rio more like a local. You have close access to one of the best places to party in Rio, and are a train ride away from the popular beaches. The staff are so awesome and experts in everything they do, so you're always in safe hands and they will help you with anything. I travelled throughout Brazil and used Rio as a base, each time I came back I would stay at Discovery and felt like I was coming "home".

Room Tip: The girls dorm is quieter and has its own bathroom
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo