“Discovery Hostel-the One and Only”
Review of Discovery Hostel

and 1 more site!
Discovery Hostel
Reno, Nevada
“Discovery Hostel-the One and Only”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I were visiting for our 10 year anniversary to Rio for the first time. We were a bit nervous to stay at a hostel, but as hotel prices were in the upper two and three hundreds( USD), we researched out options and decided to save the money and found this great place. I have stayed at hostels before and and have been dissappointed even with those located in the U.S. This place is awesome. It is worth every penny. When we first arrived, we were picked up by SCOTT, our new english speaking "tour guide." He was only there as a service to get us to and from the hostel from the airport (GIG) but ended up being a great new friend and helper. We arrived early to store our personal luggage and items for check-in which was at 1400. Alex, the current inn keeper at the time showed us around and let us change. After some more conversation with Scott, we came to an arrangement for shuttle service to and from Christo and Sugarloaf Mountain. He is and will be a great Tour guide when he is fully certified. After our visits to these great locations we then checked -in with Zion the owner. This guy is great for getting you the information and items you need to make your trip memorable. The Hostel is CLEAN and the AC is COLD which were our only two real requirements. THe location is GREAT with the Metro (subway service to CopaCabana and Ipanema, and other locations) and bus less than 2 blocks away. I cannot write enough to say how great this place is. THe only thing that would made it better was if i had booked earlier to get my and my wife a private room since it was our anniversary. WE will GO BACK AND STAY AGAIN. Thanks SCOTT and ZION and hope to see yall agian soon.

Room Tip: If you are with partner and want privacy, you should get a private room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joel_and_Esme_G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My previous experiences with dorms were all mixed (either some of my stuff was stolen or I had bad roommates). But Discovery Hostel seems to attract only nice people. It's a nice, clean and cosy place that offers much more than just lodging. In trying to make everyone at home they've really thought of everything. The hostel is quiet after midnight for people that want to sleep, but the reception is open 24/7 for people that want to go out all night. The location is great and very well chosen: close to some great sights and to a metro station. Kitchen and fridge are free to use (and any beer you put in there doesn't even get stolen!). There are lockers for your backpack.

The reception staff are very helpful and laid back. There are nice activities (I recommend the forro dance class on Tuesdays) that help you experience the city in different ways. It's also a great place to meet people to go into Lapa in the evening.

All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SimonFromHolland
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Discovery Hostel is one of the best hostels I've stayed at so far in Brazil. Not only is the building itself wonderful, clean and homy, but the staff is incredible as well. They are always recommending places to go visit, to eat, to drink, etc. and are very helpful in booking transportation to and from the airport(s).
If you're not looking to stay in a very touristy area this place is great--within walking distance of Lapa (the late-night drinking scene) and the mountain bairro of Santa Teresa and literally up the street from the Metro station making it also very easy to get to and from the more touristy areas such as Copacabana and Ipanema.
There are also a number of great events organized by the hostel for people staying there to participate in such as dance classes, soccer games, etc.
All of the above at a very reasonable price (both for dormitory and private rooms) can be found at Discovery Hostel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Carly P
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I originally stayed at Discovery for one week while doing a language course in the Centro area of Rio. I ended up coming back 3 times, and the hostel really does feel like home.

The owners/staff put a lot of effort into making this a nice place to be - not only keeping it clean, but also chatting to guests and helping people out. Zion's BBQ was excellent - the food was great and the hostel had a real buzz to it, not in a 'party' way, more of a chilled out vibe. I also did a Forro dancing class, followed by a group trip to a Forro club, which I wouldn't have done had I not stayed here. I think one of the best things is that even though there is lots going on, there is never any pressure to get involved. If you want a quiet night, there is still enough space for that.

As a solo traveller it is a great place to stay, as the common areas make it easy to meet people. Breakfast is good, based around bread and cheese, but more adventurous and better quality than most hostels I've stayed in - again you can tell that the staff put effort into preparing it each morning. The kitchen is well
equipped, and used quite regularly by guests. The dorms are very well separated from the living area, which really adds to the 'homey' feel. There is a blackboard with suggestions for things to do each day, which ranges from make tourist attractions to more obscure ideas.

Location-wise, it really is less than 50m from Gloria metro station. Santa Teresa and Lapa are very easy walking distance, Centro is a bit further, but definitely walkable if you want. Getting the metro to Copacabana/Ipanema beaches takes about 15min. There are also plenty of buses passing right by the hostel - I found them confusing at first, but once you understand the geography of the city they start to make a bit more sense.

All in all, I can't thank the staff at Discovery enough for being so friendly during my stay in Rio. It definitely wouldn't have been the same without this place, and I would definitely come back again in future.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Hannah1812
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Well, thats my opinion anyway. After almost a year of travelling in South America arrived at Rio, my final destination, feeling a little travel weary, but this place soon changed all that. I love Rio and I love Discovery Hostel.

This place is really new...and is therefore spotless. The chill-out areas are great. The bathrooms are clean, with hot water. The breakfast is good. The location is right by the Gloria metro stop and about 15min walk from the heart of Lapa or Santa Teresa.

The guys who run the place are cool too and I really enjoyed staying...in fact i kept on extending and extending my stay until the 'pilgrims' foiled my plan to stay forever! I then had to move to another hostel for my final 2 nights....and regretted it.

Go to Rio, and stay here...nowhere else...you wont regret it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank thecuriouswolf
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Great hostel in perfect location. Staff is very welcoming and helpful, they make you feel immediately at home. The atmosphere is nice, relaxed and fun and plenty of cool activites are arranged.
I stayed in a double room with my girlfriend and can only recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Davide_Lugano
Maplewood, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great location, friendly staff, and a cute cat who tried to nip me on the first day! The place is social and quiet at the same time. Everything is well thought out - lockers, breakfast, computer room - thanks to young and smart owners. My favorite part of last week's stay was a dance lesson for guests with a professional instructor. I would recommend this place to my best friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo