“Not Just for Gays Anymore!”

Rio Gay Tours - Private Tours
Ranked #88 of 515 Tours in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was in Rio for the weekend in between business trips and was lucky enough to connect with Marcelo who changed around his schedule last-minute to accommodate my visit. He's a smart, knowledgeable, very personable guy, someone it's fun to spend the day with while learning a lot about one of the greatest cities in the world. Having been to the major sights, Marcelo took me to those out of the way places only a native Carioca knows about. Had a great time. Highly recommended!

1  Thank NYCGWM

Reviewed July 17, 2013

A totally enjoyable and informative experience.
Marcelo is highly professional and knowledgeable. He takes you to places where it matters. He tells you what matters. He can answer any questions you may have about the country
We did hire him two days in a row and highly recommend his tours.

2  Thank Sydney_to_world
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Planning my second trip to Rio I knew I wanted a more personal experience than I found on the larger tour companies. They are good and you will see what is promised after spending hours picking and dropping off many people wasting your limited time. If your time is limited and you value your time as money like I do... then Marcelo is the only way to go.
What he has to offer is the best of Rio in a much shorter, personal experience! I talked to him several times before arriving.I found him very easy to talk to, always quick to respond, and so very helpful.

On my first tour of the Favelas I Was surprised that not only were we visiting them, but we were literally walking through inner passage ways of a hidden culture. We were seeing things that few get to see up close and personal. At no time did I feel in danger or disrespectful. In fact it was just the opposite. Marcelo was respectful, confident, and protective of my friend and I!

Later on my night time tour Marcelo let me design my own tour that would accomplish all my goals. It was like a night out with your best friend and advocate. He gave me the confidence to mingle with the local guys... and believe me they are not to be missed.

From the very first tour Marcelo made it clear that he was not just there for the tour, but that he would be available by phone or email to help with anything I might need while in Rio.He is the perfect professional guide and you will feel as if you have a great new friend in Rio. He is worth his weight in gold!

Thank You Marcelo for the very best time I could have hoped for in Rio De Janeiro!

L. YOUNG
SEATTLE WASHINGTON

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were so lucky to find Rio Gay Tours. Marcelo is the most energetic and charming guide we've ever met...anywhere in the world. And to have his expertise while navigating one of the most beautiful and enigmatic cities...well it was nothing but a pleasure. I sent Rio Gay Tours a list of what I hoped to do (it kind of merged three of his tours) and then we set out an accomplished all of it and more detours along the way. Neighborhood Juice corners, taxis to places the taxis did not know existed (Marcelo charmed them into going the best way.) We got to experience some of the "grit" we wanted but in a safe, very "executive" way.
We were so empowered by Marcello, the following day we took what we learned from Marcello and headed out on own and managed a few taxis, two ferries, and a bus. We learned that by taking a photo of the Ferry Station when we left it, we could show it to the cab driver when we were ready to head back to it. Simply knowing we now had a friend in town we could call if we were in trouble or lost gave us all the confidence we needed.
He charmed a stranger who was super knowledgeable about an art exhibit we stumbled upon to join us for 10 minutes of amazing discussion. Have I used the word "charming" enough?

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Marcelo is a great tour guide. He treats you as a friend - not a client. I went to Rio in March 2013 with a friend, and we spent 5 days with Marcelo on his tours to Corcovado/Christ, Sugar Loaf Mountain, Favela, Petropolis, Santa Teresa, Centro, etc… Basically, he showed us the best of Rio. We also did the gay nightlife and Lapa nightlife tour. Marcelo was quick to tailor the activities to our interests and to find the right bar that was exciting on each night. He also knew how to plan out the day so we did not waste time waiting in line for the attractions. In addition to tours, he took us to the post office, bank, arranged lodging, taught us how the beach chair system worked, etc… He even had us over to his apartment for his birthday party, where we met his very handsome friends and his girlfriends taught us how to make caipirinhas. Marcelo made the Rio experience very worthwhile. I plan on visiting Rio again and asking him to arrange my next trip.

2  Thank James K