“Dangerous location - prepare to get robbed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Santa Teresa Central Hostel

and 1 more site!
Santa Teresa Central Hostel
Berlin, Germany
“Dangerous location - prepare to get robbed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

This place is in a DANGEROUS location!
We were robbed threatened by a gun just 15 min walk from the hostel and other guests just in front of the hostel (they were arrving from the airport and had everything with them).
On the same day there were 11 more robberies in Santa Theresa reported.
The hostel is on the hill, so you need to walk up the emtpy street which is exhausting and scary. We didn't dare to leave the hostel alone.

The staff wasn't helpful and not relyable. they didn't warn us and said it was safe, which was untrue. The staff in general was not knowledgeable, no information about any tours, false information about bus connections, on the last day they didn't manage to get a taxi for us, saying in the evening we needed to book in the morning and telling us in the morning - we needed to do it in the evening. So we walked down the hill with all our staff to get a taxi from the street.
We stayed here for 8 nights during New Years Eve celebration, and there was nothing organized by the hostel - even no information about transport, how to get to the beach and how to go home afterwards - no one cared.
The hostel itself has a nice athmosphere, beautiful terrace, very clean. The breakfast was the best I've ever seen in any other hostel!
In general very nice hostel, if not location and staff!

Room Tip: take the terrase room which is further - it's the best and the most quiet!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I must confess that I have never seen the hostel in real life. I do want to share my experience as I think it shows something of the service and my help other travelers.

I booked this hostel a few months in advance on hostelbookers. 3 weeks after my booking, the hostel informed me in a rude email that my reservation would not be observed. I was offered to change the order to a 5 times higher price for a shorter duration. I feel put in a very peculiar situation as many hostels I was considering before are now sold out. Furthermore, if hostels feel that they can change reservations like this, what is the use of making a reservation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
São Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

my friends and I stayed at Santa Teresa Cental Hostel for two days and was AMAZING.
great place, great and lovely staff, pretty clean and organised!
if you are planning to go to RJ this is the best place for you rest!
Thanks Adriana, Tomas, David and everyone from Santa Teresa Central Hostel!
I'll be back soon :D

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Rio de janeiro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed in Santa Teresa Central Hostel for 3 nights and my experience was one of the best i had in any other hostel in Rio de Janeiro. The hostel have a very good and rich breakfast, the staff is very helpful, they speak english and they are always there to help you for any information you might need. I stayed in a dormitorio which was very clean with private bathroom. The interenet connention was very good and the location just 50 m from the escadaria selaron and 5 minutes walking from Lapa in a very safe and cool area with fantastic views to Lapa and downtown, especially at night. For sure i will come back. Thank you Tulio for everything.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo