“Brutal hotel”
Review of Windsor Copa Hotel

Windsor Copa Hotel
Ranked #40 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed July 20, 2013

First off I use the word hotel loosely. This place is really a hostel pretending to be a hotel. It's my fault, you get what you pay for.

My buddy and I stayed there in June of this year. We arrived at 11 but were told that check in was at 2 even though our rooms were ready. The front desk guy let us check in at 12. We asked him for the wifi code but the fool wouldn't give it to us because he said we weren't guests of the hostel yet. Our rooms were already prepaid. What a Mickey Mouse operation. I had to hake my head it was so laughable.

Finally got our room key and was shocked how small the room was. My walk in closet at home was bigger. Their so called king size bed is really a twin bed at best. No way could the room take a real king size bed. The room is so small that I could not open up my suitcase fully. You won't get any sleep on the brutal mattress or rock hard pillows. You can forget watching tv because they have limited channels on a tv screen that is the size of my lap top screen.

The real kicker is the obnoxious front desk staff. One evening I was going out for a night out with my tour guide. She was early so I told her to come up while I finished getting ready. I started receiving harassing calls from the front desk telling me I can't have guests in my room. I got 3 calls. Total joke but what do you expect from a hostel. I don't care what your hotel policy is.

I'm sure the gm will respond with her trash to make it sound like I'm a terrible guest lol

I would never recommend this dump to anyone

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Jay T
MonaSamir, Gerente geral at Windsor Copa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments concerning your recent stay at Windsor Copa Hotel and we sincerely apologize for not having met your expectations. All criticisms are taken constructively, as they are a valuable path to help us get our services better. We have reviewed your feedback in detail with our whole staff, specially with our Front Desk team.

The rooms have different sizes and depends on the category reserved. Our superior room with a double bed has a king size bed (2,0mx2,0m) and a 32’’ tv screen. Regarding about visitors, we do have a policy in order to guarantee the safety and comfort of our guests. We're really sorry that weren't able to fully satisfy you while staying in our hotel.

Should you decide to give us a second chance that it will be a great pleasure to help.

Sincerely, Mona Samir

Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed July 20, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank PowenyPia
MonaSamir, Gerente geral at Windsor Copa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Almost everthing was ok: location (good restaurants at short-walking distance), friendly staff, good breakfast, internet works well, and clean room. One complaint is regarding noise that comes from other rooms above and close....maybe isolation between rooms must be improved. But I do recommend, anyway.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear guest,

thank you very much for your preference while choosing Windsor Copa!

Thank you also for your compliments regarding our delicious breakfast, with fresh seasonal fruits, juices and variety of breads. I am glad you have enjoyed our location, in the very heart Copacabana, 1 block from the beach and from the great restaurants and stores of the area, as much as you enjoyed the service provided by our staff.
We all hope to welcome you back at Windsor Copa soon!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Part of the Windsor chain of hotels but much cheaper. Just one block off the Copacabana beach.
Despite not being beach side it is still very close. Prices are incredibly competitive and certainly the cheapest I have found in Rio for a good standard hotel.
The rooms are adequate if very small. They are clean and tidy with all modern amenities. Important for the business traveller is free WiFi. The room(11th) floor was very quiet.
Breakfast was adequate but the dining area is small and gets packed quickly. Reasonable choice of food.
Service is excellent from check in to room service. I had room service twice during a 7 day stay and it was very quick, the food hot and tasty. Also of particular note was the laundry service. I needed clothes cleaned overnight, they were collected at 6pm and back by 9pm. Superb.
To sum up, great value for money even if rooms are a little small.

Room Tip: Book rooms as high up as possible.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank wanderingmo

Dear guest,

thank you so much for the excellent review about your recent stay with us!

I am very happy to hear how much you have enjoyed our location and services provided by our staff. It´s also nice to hear that you have enjoyed the room service and the courtesy wifi internet, accessible throughout the hotel.
We appreciate your comments and we hope to welcome you back in Rio soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a nice, well kept hotel that is just a block away from Copacabana beach.

The good:
- The hotel is well maintained (it looks fairly new) and comfortable enough.
- Value. The rooms cost about 70% of what other hotels in the area cost. If you are staying for long, this hotel would be a very good value. There is no beach view but it's just round the corner.
- Friendly and accommodating staff.

The bad:
- As other reviewers mentioned, the rooms are on the smaller side. It's not too bad though. We got a room number ending with "1" and looking at the hotel floor layout (thanks to the fire escape drawing!), this was the most spacious room. There was a little seating section to the side that was sufficient to place our bags.

Other:
- The check in time is 2 P.M (true for most hotels) so if you have a flight landing early, you might want to keep that in mind. The staff tried their best to get us into the room as early as they could.

Overall ,this is a good hotel and would stay there if visiting Rio again.

Room Tip: Get a room number ending with "1", they seem to be more spacious.
Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheTravellingG

Dear guest,

on behalf of the Windsor Copa Hotel, we would like to thank you for the compliments regarding our services during your stay.
We are so delighted to read your comments about our friendly staff and our great location.
We all look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Rio!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

After much research we ( 2 middle aged couples) decided upon Windsor Copa for a 4 night stay before cruising from Rio de Janerio to the Mediterranean.   It would be hard to find a better hotel in Rio as the Copa met our criterias and represented great  all round value . The rates were very reasonable and included a very well presented buffet breakfast with attentive waiters clearing the tables.  As it was only  a block back from Copacabana Beach it was quick and easy stroll  for a dip in the ocean any time of day.  Early mornings the beach was a buzz with local out for their morning walks and exercise. Reception Staff were always polite,  friendly, spoke good English and were always  ready to answer questions and point us in the right direction. We were a little surprised to find that our rooms were so small. However, they were well presented, extremely clean and had a very nice bathroom. Our over load of luggage took up most of the floor space but we soon realized that one case would slide under the desk  and that worked well. I opted to have some laundry done on our last day and every garment was returned on hangers and  immaculately pressed. Again good value.
We only ate dinner in the hotel one wet evening, but the meal was nice, well presented  and not expensive.    With in a few minutes from the hotel there are many  bars and restaurants along the esplanade and side streets, serving traditional and westernized food.  The drinks  in and around Rio were cheap by our standards, and be fore warned, they are very heavy handed with the alcohol over there... ( BUT who's complaining?)
The hotel happily booked us  a transfer to the cruise terminal , suggesting a small air conditioned van would enable us  to travel together and the price  would  be  about the same if not better than 2 taxis. The driver spoke only a little English, but the staff gave directions and made sure he knew where we were headed and that we were comfortable with the arrangement.
Don't be fooled by over priced Rio hotels. The  Windsor  Copa meet and exceeded our expectations in  every aspect. Foot note:  Dont expect a view from too many hotels, unless they are absolutely on the esplanade.

Cheryl Bishop
Sent from my iPad

Room Tip: Don't expect a view... Unless on the esplanade, rooms with a view are limited and usually at a h...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AdelaideChez

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review about your recent stay with at Windsor Copa Hotel.

We are thrilled to hear how much you have enjoyed our great level of services, as much as you have enjoyed our prime location. We are indeed located in the very centre of Copacabana, just a few steps from the beach and from the great restaurants and stores of the area

Our team wishes to welcome you back soon.

All the very best,
Mona Samir

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I visited Rio on business. Due to a holiday causing high demand for hotel rooms, we couldn't stay close to our work location. This was a lovely alternative. Although our drive to our daily business meetings was a bit longer, the pleasure of having a hotel close to the beach was well worth it. The rooms are a bit small compared to US standards, but it was a clean, comfortable and quiet place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Lisa P

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing the Windsor Copa on your recent trip to Rio, and also for taking your time to help us through your comments. I'm sure that they will be of great value to other tripadvisor travelers.

Mona Samir