“Good show” 4 of 5 bubbles

Plataforma Samba Show in Rio de Janeiro
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Plataforma Samba Show represents the rhythmic and colorful dances of Brazilian folklore, often featuring the prior year's Carnival winning Samba school dancers. There is the option to have dinner before the show, but the real attraction is the Samba dance performances.
Ottawa
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Good show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

An interesting way to take in Brazilian culture. This show is obviously tailored to tourists, but it is very interesting to watch. The different types of acts, from acrobatics to martial arts, dancing to rope swinging, swing jazz to Samba, all come together to provide great entertainment. The performers are very talented. And the costumes, the beautifully extravagant costumes - wow!!!

You can get a picture with some of the dancers, at an extra cost of course. I usually decline these as a matter of principle, but this pic was too good to pass up.

My only complaint is not about the show, but the absolutely awful drink service before and during. I've noticed in Brazil that you need to work a bit harder to get the attention of your waiter, but to be flagrantly ignored despite the server having clearly seen you is a little much, especially when he just took orders for the guy sitting next to me.

1 Thank RedFoxOne

• Turkish first
Michelbach
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“made for tourists only, but still entertaining, and without much alternatives”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

when we booked this we knew that this was a show made exclusively for tourists, so we didn't expect much authentic Samba or carnival feeling. But after searching a lot for alternatives, i.e. similar Samba shows, we couldn't find any.
So we went there with realistic expectations, and considering that we were not disappointed.
It's still an entertaining show presenting a variety different Brazilian talents.
For me personally the highlight though was the football girl, entertaining the audience before the start of the proper show with her very skillful footbal juggling. She juggled in all kind of different positions, but didn't drop the ball even once in almost 15min.

Visited October 2012
Miami, Florida
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Good time.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I kind of understand all the negative comments on here. Yes the show is a little cheesy but that's what a samba show is. I think it was a good interprutation of Brazilian life / samba. the show draged in some parts. In the very begining the dancers seemed to not be to into the show but there energy picked up.

cyprus
236 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“Tacky, cheesy, cheep”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

In all honesty, I a cannot imagine who would actually like this show. Tacky beyond belief. Lots of drumming, some dancing (not very enthusiastic).. Lacks energy and attraction. Total waste of time. One is also pressurized to buy photos taken by photographers during the show (with overprinted dance girls). Cannot remember the price but I think about 12$ US. Rip off.

3 Thank Lovetotraveldubai
Cambridge, On
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun Night Out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

My fiancé and I visited this show last week. I am not sure where all the negative reviews are coming from. We went in with now expectations and had a great time. The dancing was fun and this is the first time we were at a show where they actually interracted with the audience. So long as visitors aren't expecting a Cirque de Soleil or Moulin Rouge type of performance and just let themselves enjoy the show, they will not be disappointed. We are very glad we went as we will not be there for the Carnaval.

The only thing we didn't like was how the girl selling the photo plates was walking around during the show and blocking our view.