“Basic, but not bad”

Hotel San Marco Ipanema
Ranked #197 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Wow, this area of Ipanema certainly is expensive.
I could complain about paying more than €100 for a room that was not perfectly clean.
But in fairness i chose the cheapest hotel in the area and they could probably still fill the hotel with those rates and even worse services.
All in all not a bad option, of the limited options!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rudy c
There are newer reviews for Hotel San Marco Ipanema

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have never felt I paid so much for so little ! I paid almost US $130 for a "cell" in which the toilet is inside the shower ! Yes, THE TOILET IS INSIDE THE SHOWER ! I could never imagine that I would find such thing in Rio. This hotel classifies itself as "two stars" but I truly believe the Rio's tourism authority should not allow any star to this hotel. The room is ridiculously small and there is no closet ! I could barely open my luggage. Positive things are the password-coded safe and the location. In summary, this hotel is the result of the poor touristic infrastructure of Rio: no competition, high prices ! The other hotel right on the front, the Ipanema Mar Hotel, is way better but costs 3 times more. I am trying to imagine the DISASTROUS that will be lodging during the world cup and the Olympics.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank F_C_BR_IT
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This hotel is my Rio base, and I've been staying there for the past 4 years. Alway welcomed at the reception desk with polite smiles and prompt service. I stay in room 801, which is accessible by the stairs after taking the elevator to the 7th floor... Which could be an inconvenience if you have lots of luggage, but the staff are on hand to help out. When pn holidays, i want my hotel room to provide me with what I need: an excellent bed, a perfect shower and A/C. There's also a tv and fridge, but whose going to watch tv when Ipanema and Leblon beaches are only a stone's throw away? The morning breakfast bar is perfect to start the day with a coffee, fresh juice and a variety of rolls, buns, cakes, breads as well as eggs and meats... The hotel is near everything - and it always gives me great pleasure to go to H. Stern, the bespoke jeweller just down the road, and buy a new trinket, knowing I'm staying in a value rate hotel! this place isn't a 5 star property, but it's in a 5 star neighbourhood and you get excellent service and lodgings for a great price. I'm already planning my next trip back...

Room Tip: Always ask for a superior room, and if on the street side, ask for a higher level room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Stayed here as part of a solo trip through Brazil,

First the good.

The people. They were extremely helpful and many were proficient in English. They were extremely helpful.
The breakfast was good and there was a selection of eggs, meat and breads and juices.
Location - Can't say enough about the location. Right in the shopping district of Ipanema. Two blocks from Ipanema beach. Three blocks from Leblon, one of the nicer parts of RIO. You cannot beat the location

Now, the rest. Basically, RIO is known for either extremely high end hotels and bargain basement hotels at over hyped pricing. This hotel falls in the latter. This hotel is probably the equivalent of a days in Motel. Basic bathroom, basic rooms and beds. If you get the economy room, the toilet is in the shower, which may be unsettling if you expect a full bathroom. All in all, I liked the hotel just because it was clean and everything worked. I would consider shopping around before staying here again , though I am not sure you can get a better hotel in Ipanema for this price. I have a love hate relationship with the hotel. I loved the location and how I was treated, I didn't love what I paid for the quality of hotel I got. I guess you are paying for location.

There was no pool or fitness area in the hotel, but you are two blocks from the beach and two blocks from the Lagoa where there is walking and biking paths.

Would I stay here again..maybe...but i would check again to see if there were better deals.

Cab fare from hotel to GIG airport was 50 Reals

Room Tip: Cab fare from hotel to GIG airport was 50 Reals
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Treva
Reviewed March 21, 2012

It has become very difficult and also very expensive to get an hotel in Rio. Nothing else (below 500 Euros) was available in Ipanema/Leblon where I had to stay so I took this one on Booking.com for about 90 Euros.

The only positives: location (central Ipanema, close to the beach and the shops and offices of the neighborhood), it's clean, it's relatively cheap

The girls at check in were quite nice, which cannot be said of the guy I asked about wifi connection. Everythong else was terrible:

Room was very small, but more importantly was really old and in need of a major refurbishing. Culd not regulate the air conditioning which could only be on or off (but to switch it you had to climb on a chair to unplug it). In the hallway, no light. Pitch dark untlil you reached the first corner were a movement sensor spotted you and turned on the light (very alarming at first and disturbing even after you were aware of the situation).

Wifi is available only in the reception hall for a charge. They require advance cash payment (could not charge it to the room for some reason). When I asked about it, it was not working. Worse still I could not even recharge my laptop since there was no suitable plug (I had a "german plug" and a BRAZILIAN ADAPTER but with the "ground pin". The system is so old id does not have ground!

Like much of the rest, the breakfast room is very dark and depressing. Given my eye for design and decoration it was a pity to see a place with potential being allowed to deteriorate so much. It would not take too much to turn it into a nice place, but in the current fat market they are obviously milking it with no investment.

I would return there only if the alternative is sleeping in a doorway. Even if you plan to just sleep there and spend most time on the beach, consider that the sun is very hard and "days at the beach" are shorter in Rio than in Europe. Unless you plan to spend most afternoons bar hopping, you might find yourself napping in the room longer than you thought.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank AndreaPortante
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I stayed here for one month a few years ago and the location is great and the barman JOSE very helpful and also cooks the best steak in RIO.
On a recent return visit it has gone downhill a bit,there used to be Bossa Nova music and international television in the bar/restaurant area and an internet cafe-all have been done away with.

Room Tip: Pay more and ask for a suite
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank NewWorldTraveller16
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed there for about 10 days. It was an accidental stay since the first hotel we booked online claimed they didn't receive our reservation, so we were referred here. Rooms are small, old and the hallways are tight, not to mention the elevator. The staff are helpful and can speak English well. Loved the breakfast outdoor nooks they have with bright colored walls, though breakfast food was the same everyday! Since we stayed for more than a week, we were able to negotiate for a good rate per day and it was not a bad deal for a Rio stay! A few blocks away from the beach, right smack in the center of Ipanema, has a supermarket and lots of restaurants nearby. It was value for our money since we also got to see carnaval rehearsals!

• Stayed: January 2011