“The Royalty Copacabana Hotel BAD BAD BAD hotel”

Royalty Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #272 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We had been 3 nights in the hotel (23-26 Feb 2012).
The room is very small.
The worst is the management relation to the hotel guests.
Keep the bags in the hotel for two hours ask 3 $US / Bag.
200$US for 2 hours check out.
Be aware

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dada317
There are newer reviews for Royalty Copacabana Hotel

Reviewed January 28, 2012

We finished a tour and thought we would be able to stay a few extra nights, but they were booked out. Due to the time of the year most places were full and we felt "fortunate" to be told of this hotel's availability. The outside and lobby look impressive, they even have a pianist playing in the lobby at night. This is where all the money has gone. We got up to our room turned on the air conditioner and could not hear each other for the noise. When I turned down my bed, it looked like the sheets had been there from a previous stay. The air conditioner was that bad on day 2 we complained and after a repairman checked it out, they moved us to another room and the noise was only slightly reduced. The breakfast is ordinary and nothing changes. I felt we were getting leftovers from previous days, fresh is not a word heard of in this hotel. Desk staff were more interested in their paperwork than attending to guests standing at the counter. I have learned my lesson and will check trip advisor before booking anything. Only go here if the alternative is sleeping on the street. It's only saving grace is the location, close enough to beach and not far from subway station.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank maisyBrisbane
Reviewed January 24, 2012

This is a shabby hotel in Copacabana , the location being the only positive aspect. The furniture is outdated, the bathroom looks like it hasn't been renovated since the hotel was built. I woke up in the morning to see that there was water pourring from the ceiling in the bathroom all over my personal stuff that I had left on the sink. I informed the person at the frontdesk but he did not seem too bothered or surprised about this. They charged 150 Euro/night so needless to say that I only stayed there for one night.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank malinas
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Stayed here for five night in December. Upon first arrival I thought it was going to be horrendous but to be honest you do get used to it. The location is not too bad, about three blocks from Copacabana beach. The staff are very friendly and helpful but speak little English. I had a problem with the room safe (no batteries) which took some serious translation to get across. The room itself is average at best - the TV is held on by a chain and the AC is so loud you cannot sleep with it switched on. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything that goes on above, below and next to! All told its not an especially bad hotel but it is no more than three stars at best.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My friend and I spent three nights here. The hotel was very good. The staff were friendly and helpful and spoke enough English to make our stay comfortable. Although not on the beach it was a short 10 minute walk through a nice safe neighbourhood. Our room was on the back facing the hill and was quiet. The room was clean and the bathroom was very nice. We had some internet issues in this hotel but that was easily forgiven considering the fabulous breakfast that this hotel offered. I would definitely recommend the Royalty Copacabana and would stay there again when in Rio.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back facing the hill. The rooms facing the street will be a lot less quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank WParks
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Such a bad hotel! My wife (who is Brazilian) booked this hotel through a travel agent from Londrina. We were told that it was a nice hotel, above 3 stars. It wasn't even close. So be careful booking through travel agents. They abviously get kick backs for filling hotels like this one. I am pretty certain our travel agent would never stay in this hotel herself.

I have never been in a hotel for such a short period of time before deciding to check out. Unfortunately we had to stay one night. Everything was average, especially the rooms. The TV was antique, the bedding looked a little infested (glad we didn't have a black light), the overall feeling of being in the hotel was miserable.

On the plus side, the staff were very friendly and didn't even question us when we checked out after the first night of a 4 night stay.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed there for 6 days, and couldn't be happier to move hotels. Why?
1) internet only worked sloooooowly and intermittently in the first 2 days; after that it was toast.
2) having hot water to shower meant you were lucky
3) dishes and glasses in the breakfast buffet were greasy; I couldn't use the glasses for juice because they smelled funky; I killed a small roach on the table.
4) everything is old and not well maintained.

I speculate, but the underlying reason for all its woes is management's stinginess. Here's my evidence:
a) when I was leaving, another guest asked for late check-out (she had been unable to check-in on time for hotel problems, and she had stayed there for a week): they would not give her more than an hour grace period without a half-day payment.
b) I never saw a cheaper toilet paper in any hotel. Single-ply and cheap.
c) gym equipment seemed over 15 years old (the ones that were still running - the weight lifting one had a broken cable)

Room Tip: rooms 01-05, if you need to stay there....
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business