“Very bad hotel - avoid at all costs”

Royalty Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #272 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Bucharest, Romania
“Very bad hotel - avoid at all costs”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

This is a shabby hotel in Copacabana , the location being the only positive aspect. The furniture is outdated, the bathroom looks like it hasn't been renovated since the hotel was built. I woke up in the morning to see that there was water pourring from the ceiling in the bathroom all over my personal stuff that I had left on the sink. I informed the person at the frontdesk but he did not seem too bothered or surprised about this. They charged 150 Euro/night so needless to say that I only stayed there for one night.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank malinas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Stayed here for five night in December. Upon first arrival I thought it was going to be horrendous but to be honest you do get used to it. The location is not too bad, about three blocks from Copacabana beach. The staff are very friendly and helpful but speak little English. I had a problem with the room safe (no batteries) which took some serious translation to get across. The room itself is average at best - the TV is held on by a chain and the AC is so loud you cannot sleep with it switched on. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything that goes on above, below and next to! All told its not an especially bad hotel but it is no more than three stars at best.

• Stayed December 2011
Gananoque, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My friend and I spent three nights here. The hotel was very good. The staff were friendly and helpful and spoke enough English to make our stay comfortable. Although not on the beach it was a short 10 minute walk through a nice safe neighbourhood. Our room was on the back facing the hill and was quiet. The room was clean and the bathroom was very nice. We had some internet issues in this hotel but that was easily forgiven considering the fabulous breakfast that this hotel offered. I would definitely recommend the Royalty Copacabana and would stay there again when in Rio.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back facing the hill. The rooms facing the street will be a lot less quiet.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank WParks
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Such a bad hotel! My wife (who is Brazilian) booked this hotel through a travel agent from Londrina. We were told that it was a nice hotel, above 3 stars. It wasn't even close. So be careful booking through travel agents. They abviously get kick backs for filling hotels like this one. I am pretty certain our travel agent would never stay in this hotel herself.

I have never been in a hotel for such a short period of time before deciding to check out. Unfortunately we had to stay one night. Everything was average, especially the rooms. The TV was antique, the bedding looked a little infested (glad we didn't have a black light), the overall feeling of being in the hotel was miserable.

On the plus side, the staff were very friendly and didn't even question us when we checked out after the first night of a 4 night stay.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed there for 6 days, and couldn't be happier to move hotels. Why?
1) internet only worked sloooooowly and intermittently in the first 2 days; after that it was toast.
2) having hot water to shower meant you were lucky
3) dishes and glasses in the breakfast buffet were greasy; I couldn't use the glasses for juice because they smelled funky; I killed a small roach on the table.
4) everything is old and not well maintained.

I speculate, but the underlying reason for all its woes is management's stinginess. Here's my evidence:
a) when I was leaving, another guest asked for late check-out (she had been unable to check-in on time for hotel problems, and she had stayed there for a week): they would not give her more than an hour grace period without a half-day payment.
b) I never saw a cheaper toilet paper in any hotel. Single-ply and cheap.
c) gym equipment seemed over 15 years old (the ones that were still running - the weight lifting one had a broken cable)

Room Tip: rooms 01-05, if you need to stay there....
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank marcmec
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This so called 4-star hotel was a big disappointment. The reception staff were unfriendly from start to finish, and when we arrived at our room, the bathroom floor was covered in rubble and building materials. Unbelievable ! They put us in another room, but did not replace the dirty and broken toilet seat even though we asked several times. Housekeeping was not done until after 8 pm. Our advise, stay some place else, there are hundreds of hotels in Copacabana.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel !
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I have been to Rio three times on business, each time staying in different hotels, some times multiple hotels per trip due to availability, rates, and of course a tight budget. Due to the structure of my business relationship, I am unable to book my own hotel reservations, so I am at the mercy of usually the cheapest rate that our partner can book. Now, on to the hotel:

All negative reviews should be taken in to consideration. I actually expected the hotel to be worse when checking it out on trip advisor first and seeing all of the terrible reviews. The hotel is not what I would call terrible (I have stayed in some bad places), however many of the comments are true:

- you have to turn your key in to the reception EVERY TIME you want to walk out of the hotel. The keys are these massive outdated technology, and they apparently only have 1 per room, so if you lose your key, you can't get back in to the room until after 10pm when the house cleaning closes. I'm sure there is a hefty fine attached with this as well.

This process is very inconvenient, especially when the front desk is busy, or they haven't organized the keys, because then you have to wait to go back to your room at the reception desk - VERY annoying.

- Internet is an extra charge R$15 per day. Many other hotels in copa offer free wifi.
-sheets and linens are old and worn out. They have holes, tears, and generally are years past due for replacement.
- the same thing can be said for towels
- Hot water seems to be the luck of the draw, some days it works, some days it doesn't
- Water pressure is also inconsistent. I was taking a shower and the water just stopped working. Luckily I had washed off most of the soap.
- Shower does not have a hot or cold knob, just one 'universal' on or off.
- TV is not friendly for the interntional traveler; NO news (CNN BBC) , NO sports (ESPN), NO film (Telecine) , or any special TV channels, just the standard 10 or so Brazilian channels.
- TV stations all have a static sound that is louder than the actual audio of the program, this makes watching even the few TV channels very annoying.
- The 'Gym' is just two old tread mills, a stationary bike, and a broken lat-pull down machine.
- The location is not as close to a metro station or the beach as many other hotels in Copa are.

Overall, there are many hotels in Copa that will offer a better place to stay for a similar rate. Continue to do some more homework, and you will find the right one for the right price. I wouldn't stay here unless it was the only room in the entire city open.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business