“Splendid beach”

Book In Advance
More Info
$57.25*
and up
Private Tour: Rio de Janeiro Customizable City...
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: For sunning, relaxing and people watching, join the thousands who flock each year to this lively, world-famous beach lined with shops, bars, restaurants and hotels.
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Magnificent beach regularly cleaned . The place to see and be seen in skimpy bikini. Place to play handball, run, exercise, jog. Listen to music. A very easy and happy place full of young and old. In spite of warnings it appeared to be perfectly safe. A must.

Write a ReviewReviews (21,249)
All reviews
in 142 reviews
"sunglasses"
in 62 reviews

Reviewed January 21, 2013

A very dirty yellowish dirty sand beach due the crowd that goes there every day. The water wasn´t clean too and it's very dangerous to swim when the sea is shaken. There are many nicer beaches in Rio to go.

1  Thank Luiz Henrique B
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I spent the NY Eve of 2011 in Copacabana Beach. The beach was crowded with people since the morning, ranging from families with kids to singles, gays, lots of international tourists, etc. The beach had four or five stages along its extension ready for shows at night. During the day I saw people dancing and having fun at the beach, playing beach soccer,voleiball, racketball, etc. The beach has different "postos" where you can see different "communities". One of the "postos" was crowded with strong men working out under the sun, closer to the Copacabana Palace Hotel you could find people very well dressed and lot of foreigner tourists. The beach had bathrooms, lots of food vendors, policemen walking around, nice sand sculptures celebrating the 2016 Olympic games in Rio, UV and temperature meters at the beach...so many cool things to see and to take pictures of! I was really afraid when I got in Copacaban because of the bad reputation of Rio in the matters of violence and because they were expecting around 2 Million people in the event. I'm glad that did not see anything bad happening. At night, they had a big party on the beach, with a 20 minutes firework show. After the firework, all the stages had shows with different kind of music (I could see David Guetta, a famous samba school and other famous brazilian musicians playing during the night, all free!). I stayed up until the sun came out on January 1st. If you are planning to stay in a place outside of Copacabana, you need to buy a ticket for the metro train in advance (I think months in Advance), since the whole neighborhood is closed for cars and buses from Dec 31 to 2 am of January the 1st. I had a blast. It was the best NY eve in my life. Recommendations: arrive early, carry the less stuff as possible in a safe place, don't use jewelry, don't show off, stay with a group and have fun.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I am from Los Angeles, and I am we'll travelled, I have even been to Rio once before in 1997. I usually do not complain about much unless it is very bad. In 1997 Copacaban beach was beautiful and worth bragging to everyone about. Today I visited this once gorgeous beach again expecting to find the same, what a surprise and shock. The beach and water was littered with trash. When I asked the lifeguards if this was some odd occurrence they told me it has become a usual scene. They said the people are just messy. They directed me to a trailer across the street belonging to the department of beach patrol. Their my wife "whom speaks Portuguese" and I found 6 city beach patrol employees all sitting on their butts and doing nothing, when we mention what a disgrace the beach and water was the blamed the people and tourists for leaving all of their trash, then the water claiming it and polluting the water. That could not be further from the truth as we found tv's, kitchen trash, pieces of furniture and enough plastics to fill several dumpsters. The city of Rio, and or Copacaban really need to make an effort on putting out trash cans on the beach "not several hundred feet away up on the sidewalks" maybe 50 to 100 feet apart, then empty them twice a day, then they should do a beach sand and water sweep, to grab the leftover trash that might get left behind. Considering that they are hosting both the World Cup and then the Olympics in 2014 and 2016, they need to spend some more time and TLC with their number 1 tourist attraction. Also I was very disappointed as me and my father in law, walked they beach from south to north and the people, and of coarse this is my opinion, are not near as beautiful as from 1997. We walked and jokingly rated both the men and woman we saw along the beach from 1-10, only pointing out the ones we felt reached a 7 or higher. Shocking to find that out of thousands of beach goers, we gave 1 woman an 8, and 3 a 7, with only a handful of men getting 7 and above as well. We saw no 9's or 10's. Copacabana has a long way to go to get back to its former glory.

Positives were that all the people are very friendly, the food and drink available along the beach are perfect, and the local beach salesmen selling bikinis, hats, scarfs, dresses and souvenirs have great personalities make the atmosphere what it is.

4  Thank Erik1967