“Reservation ? What Reservation ?”
Review of Hostel Harmonia

Hostel Harmonia
London
“Reservation ? What Reservation ?”
Reviewed May 23, 2010

As luck would have it we never actually ended up staying here.
We reserved a double room for 2 nights and on turning up the conversation went like this:

Us: Hi, we reserved a double room for 2 nights.
Hostel Harmonia: ummm, we don't appear to have that reservation and the room is now booked.
Us: Strange, because you sent me an email yesterday confirming it.
Hostel Harmonia: Really ?
Us: Yes, look it's there in your outbox, sent not more that 20hrs ago.
Hostel Harmonia: Oh.

To their credit they offered us a better room at the same price, however we took one look at it and ran for our lives. The room looked pretty grimy and was at the top of a wobbly spiral staircase which you had to go through 2 dorms to get to. I know health and safety is possibly not at the top of every hostel go'ers adgenda, but rest assured, if there was a fire in that place you would be toast.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Christchurch
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Harmonia was a cute little hostel nice and close to the beach and clean and tidy. Downside is the two bathrooms have one toilet and shower inside the bathroom, so while someone is showering the toilet can't be used, and vice versa. However the staff are SUPER friendly and helpful- we had an extra couple of people added to our group, and they spent a few hours when we arrived calling all the surrounding hostels to arrange accomodation for our friends, and a really thorough safety briefing as well, which was very much appreciated. Nice breakfasts too! Reccomend it if you are on a budget, but want nice breakfasts, good location and very friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank kiwibearess
Miami
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I've stayed in hostels on 6 continents and am actually a travel writer. My friend and I had originally planned to stay at this hostel in Rio for a week. After we arrived in Rio, as most backpackers do, we changed our travel plans. I explained to the owner that we weren't going to stay at the hostel for the entire week and he proceeded to charge us for two nights stay (despite the fact that we arrived at 3am the morning before) and kept out security deposit for the entire week. As if that wasn't enough, he verbally threatened my friend and I, swearing and being really rude. The hostel is nothing special and is not worth the high price it charges in comparison to the five other hostels on the same street that are of equal, or probably superior quality. I highly advise anyone going to Rio NOT to stay at this place. There are so many other hostels in the Ipanema area that are just as nice, cheaper, and have a much friendlier vibe. Don't stay here, you'll definitely regret it if you do.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank backpacker213
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 19, 2009

The Harmonia is located in the heart of Ipanema, just three blocks from the beach and steps away from great shopping and restaurants. The hostel offers breakfast on its terrace and a well-stocked travel library. The staff is very experienced and hospitable; if you have a question about tours or transit, just ask the owner!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed April 18, 2008

Fantastic hostel, the owner 'Ron' was so friendly and welcoming. It is a peaceful hostel and good location (amongst several other hostels) but definitely the best of the bunch!

The breakfast was yummy with fresh fruit and bread laid on every morning, really helpful staff too.

Definitely recommended!

Stayed August 2007
Luxembourg
Reviewed May 4, 2007

If I was still in college, I think I would have loved this place. Funky decor, laidback staff and guests, walking distance to the beach.

But I'm not in college any more, I'm in my 30s, and instead, I saw an noisy and unclean hostel, full of dreadlocked hippies, just one block away from the favelas.

You get what you pay for, I guess. I checked out after just one night, and got myself a private room in a 4-star hotel, in a safer location.

Stayed August 2004