“Good place with friendly staff”
Review of Hostel Harmonia

Hostel Harmonia
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Good place with friendly staff”
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I stayed here for a few nights when my favourite hostel in Ipanema was being renovated. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hostel was clean, but a bit crammed to be honest. I didn't even bother with breakfast here as it was a bit of a bun flight in the morning to get anything.

The rooms were also a tight squeeze with very little storage space. I was lucky not to experience the moving issues others have experienced. They seem to move people around rooms if they are staying more than a few days to facilitate groups who ask to stay together. This doesn't seem like a good way to treat guests who have already checked in.

They have a good TV room here, but very poor wireless internet.

It's a good hostel in an excellent location and I would stay her again. But only if my favourite place was booked out or closed.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I loved Harmonia and Rio so much I cut my trip short to go back and stay again! Great location (beach 2 minutes away, shops and bars around the corner, transport links a block away), friendly and helpful staff, hearty breakfasts and it seems to attract a really cool and lively crowd - a bit more 'grown up' than other hostels I've stayed in, but still lots of fun. I felt perfectly safe walking around the area at night. Made some great friends at this hostel, both travellers and people who worked there. When I return to Rio I'll definitely be staying! Highly recommend :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2010

absolute fab service and great fun! definately go there again, nice swedisch owner

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whyagain
London
Reviewed May 23, 2010

As luck would have it we never actually ended up staying here.
We reserved a double room for 2 nights and on turning up the conversation went like this:

Us: Hi, we reserved a double room for 2 nights.
Hostel Harmonia: ummm, we don't appear to have that reservation and the room is now booked.
Us: Strange, because you sent me an email yesterday confirming it.
Hostel Harmonia: Really ?
Us: Yes, look it's there in your outbox, sent not more that 20hrs ago.
Hostel Harmonia: Oh.

To their credit they offered us a better room at the same price, however we took one look at it and ran for our lives. The room looked pretty grimy and was at the top of a wobbly spiral staircase which you had to go through 2 dorms to get to. I know health and safety is possibly not at the top of every hostel go'ers adgenda, but rest assured, if there was a fire in that place you would be toast.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Christchurch
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Harmonia was a cute little hostel nice and close to the beach and clean and tidy. Downside is the two bathrooms have one toilet and shower inside the bathroom, so while someone is showering the toilet can't be used, and vice versa. However the staff are SUPER friendly and helpful- we had an extra couple of people added to our group, and they spent a few hours when we arrived calling all the surrounding hostels to arrange accomodation for our friends, and a really thorough safety briefing as well, which was very much appreciated. Nice breakfasts too! Reccomend it if you are on a budget, but want nice breakfasts, good location and very friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank kiwibearess
Miami
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I've stayed in hostels on 6 continents and am actually a travel writer. My friend and I had originally planned to stay at this hostel in Rio for a week. After we arrived in Rio, as most backpackers do, we changed our travel plans. I explained to the owner that we weren't going to stay at the hostel for the entire week and he proceeded to charge us for two nights stay (despite the fact that we arrived at 3am the morning before) and kept out security deposit for the entire week. As if that wasn't enough, he verbally threatened my friend and I, swearing and being really rude. The hostel is nothing special and is not worth the high price it charges in comparison to the five other hostels on the same street that are of equal, or probably superior quality. I highly advise anyone going to Rio NOT to stay at this place. There are so many other hostels in the Ipanema area that are just as nice, cheaper, and have a much friendlier vibe. Don't stay here, you'll definitely regret it if you do.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank backpacker213
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 19, 2009

The Harmonia is located in the heart of Ipanema, just three blocks from the beach and steps away from great shopping and restaurants. The hostel offers breakfast on its terrace and a well-stocked travel library. The staff is very experienced and hospitable; if you have a question about tours or transit, just ask the owner!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends