Hotel Novo Mundo
Novotel RJ Santos Dumont(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$91
$81
Novotel
  • Restaurant
$214
$165
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$150
$111
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Bourbon Barra Premium Residence(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$67
$47
$44
  • Pool
Copacabana Sol Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)
$50
  • Breakfast included
Pestana Rio Atlantica(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$107
  • Breakfast included
PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)
$171
$123
  • Pool
Atlantis Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$66
$52
  • Breakfast included
Miramar Hotel by Windsor(Rio de Janeiro)
$230
$126
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssugar loafchrist the redeemeripenema beachbuffet breakfast ishotel is locatedchecking outsantos dumont airportroom serviceother hotelsmetro stationyogurtexcellent locationflamengosugarloafblockcopacabanatile
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is a hotel that has not kept up with the times. Its name means New World. Let's see, Brazil was the New World in, what, 1502? And it must have been one of the first hotels to install the box airconditioners. I cannot remember when I last saw a hotel with such. Once you take it in that light, everything is tolerable.

It's located in the wrong end of the city, away from the action in Copacabana and Ipanema and LeBlon but closer to the airport. If you are lucky, as I was, you get a view of the Sugarloaf Mountain, which is about 10 mins by taxi. Cristo Redentor is about 15 mins away. But I found myself at Copacabana and Ipanema more often.

Most taxi drivers seem not to know the hotel. I had one guy who kept making loops. Finally, I made him stop at the highway opposite the hotel (instead of dropping me off at the driveway) and deducted 5 reals from the metered price.

The hotel is in the working class neighbourhood of Catete. The upside of that is that you can get cheap and reasonably good quality food, there is a supermarket at the end of the lane next to the hotel. The Catete Metro stop is also at the end of the lane. And you get sense of how Brazilians live.

I suspect that the hotel is frequented by Brazilians on vacation. The only non-Portuguese speakers were the group of us who had flown in.

The staff do try to be helpful. Michelle and Joanna, I hope your boss pays attention to you because you did well for me.

Otherwise, the hotel, apparently undergoing a year-long renovation for its pipes, needs a major overhaul. The elevators are slow. The bathtub tilts the wrong way. I thought it was just mine but it turns out mine was a moderate case of the water accumulating in the middle; my friend's tilted away from the drainhole.

Toiletries were almost absent. Two-in-one soap and shampoo, hand soap and mineral water.

If you get a good rate, it may be worth considering. Otherwise, I'm sure you can do better.

Room Tip: Try to get one that faces SugarLoaf. The hotel is setback from the road so even though it faces the main road, it is not noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The Hotel looks good when you get at the reception however the rooms are old, dirty and on my case when I open the window I could only see a wall right ahead my face.My sister went to my Hotel for 30 minutes with me and they charged 50 dollars if she wanted to go up to my room, ridiculous, does not make any sense. Other than that the breakfast was bad and there was no water at all at the toilet, meaning no shower.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank crsbrz
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I went to Rio for business and the enterprise book this hotel for me. It was a terrible experience! The hotel is very old! The room that I have stayed it was smelly and stuffy. No view and the air conditioner was very very noisy. The breakfast is ok. Once time that I went to the bathroom, I saw a little disgusting insects! I won’t recommend this hotel for nobody!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Seeing the website, then looking the entrance, I thought this was really a high class hotel.
Well... not quite.
Good points: the staff is efficient and friendly at reception and dining room, and the breakfast buffet offers a good choice except for tea
Bad points: work is in progress to replace the water piping, fine; but the complete rooms should be refurbished: tired furniture, bathroom that you feel you are sharing with the neighbour as ALL sounds travel very well... The wireless so proudly advertised works only in the middle of the night (it helps to be jetlagged so you can work at 3am); and you cannot recover with tea as the water, heavily chlorinated, makes it undrinkable.
Very expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: If you need silence, avoid rooms facing the sea or the street as soccer matches, driver discussions and trafic will ruin your night
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had an awful room and I even switched from a worse one!!
Though clean, the bathroom had a plastic shower liner as a curtain and no hook on the door. The window overlooked an air shaft and had plastic curtain liners and would not pull all the way open. The linens were not very nice. The closet door could not open all the way as it hit the bed. There were pipes in the hall had plastic bags on them. There was renovation going on. The gym is a joke, three old machines crammed in a small room. The staff was decent and the fruit at breakfast nice, but the linens on table dirty. It is a 10 minute cab ride to a beach where you can swim (Copacabana) and fronts a noisy street, with highway beyond. I would not stay here again. I have friends who have had a nice stay in an upper floor room, but given the rooms I saw those rooms are rare!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else! Or at least demand a picture of your room!! And find out if there is construction going on on your floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business