“Great location, but overpriced”
Review of Hotel Debret

Hotel Debret
Ranked #173 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We chose this hotel at the last minute, as it was the only one available at our price/dates, it was our last four days of our holiday and we wanted a good location next to the beach, we wouldn't of paid these rates usually but had no choice. After reading the reviews we were a bit sceptical but didn't think it was that bad in the end. Positives: location, great breakfast with nice views, two lifts, 30 mins of free Internet with pc in foyer, great shower, satelite tv in room, negatives: noisy ac in room, dark dingy room with no view, number 1001, staff not smiley, espec at reception & at breakfast, overpriced for a standard room. Generally the location is the reason you may choose this hotel, night Market was a plus across the road.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 1001 , if you can afford it ask for a sea view it will make all the difference...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 6, 2012

good location; good view in breakfast-room; very small rooms; bed ventilation; air-conditioner is very old; lifts are very slow;

Room Tip: only with see view
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2012

This hotel is a dump. Its like walking back into the 1950s when Brazil was a military dictatorship. The staff are rude and obnoxious. The rooms are old and the air conditioners (at least 25 years old) are as loud as Mac trucks. Take earplugs if you want to sleep. I booked a single room and because on **one** occasion I took a guest up to shower off after the beach - after arguing with me - they charged me extra for my **whole** stay (they insist they keep your key at the counter when you go out - it's like being in a concentration camp). The door men just stand around talking and doing nothing except snicker at you as you walk in and out. There are about 3 of them, I had to take my bag up to the room myself. My friends stayed around the corner at the Tulip and it was modern and friendly - and cheaper. Stay anywhere else. The worst hotel I have ever been in and I have been in a lot.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Philip M
Reviewed December 28, 2011

The hotel is kind of shabby fora 3-star hotel in Copabacana,Rio de Janeiro.
I have a major serious compain, though: if you are gay, do NOT stay here. I was ith my partner and the staff was obviously unconfortable, to the point that a woman at the front desk asked at the check in: 2 beds, right?" I promptly replied: No, miss. One bed. We are a gay couple". And everytime we left the hotel, the staff ( the porter) looked akwardly at us. Frankly, located as the ' gayest' south american city ( as they like to call themselves) in the ' gayest area, this hotel really needs a new management.
As for my room, is was old and small but it was OK, even though expensive for what it was being offered.
The breakfast is good, a great variety with a view.

Room Tip: room 312. Avoid it at all cost ! It faces virtually nothing, dark and shabby.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank albertobrazil
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We stayed in this hotel because it was a great location and it was fairly cheap. Yes, cheap in everything. Do not expect anything great from this hotel, starting by the service of the people to the room and food.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My travel companion booked this place without checking on Trip Advisor, so it's fair to say that our expectations were very low even before we arrived.
However - having read the other reviews here, I can only presume that they are gradually improving the hotel and that (at the moment) different floors have different standards? Our ninth floor room was pleasant, reasonably sized, modern and clean (even the mattress was spotless!) plus the air-conditioning and free wi-fi worked well.
The breakfast was perfectly good - varied choice of hot or cold food plus drinks and juices etc and served in the top-floor restaurant area with brilliant views of Copacabana Beach.
The reception staff (including bell-boys etc) were efficient and polite, and they agreed to an early check-in PLUS late check-out for a very reasonable fee.
All in all I'd be happy to stay here again, but only in a room like the one we had on the ninth floor...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We arrived in Rio late at night. Had a long cab ride along the coast, seeing beautiful hotels. We were dropped off at a hotel that apparently had ocean frontage, but we entered from the side. the place was a total dump from start to go. It looked like an inner city dilapidated low rent hotel. Cigarette smells, dark, dirty. We were taken to our room on the 8th floor, the room would not have been even ok for a low price house of prostitution. The furniture was old dark. The room was so small not enough room for two bags of luggage. Two people could not stand between the bed and the dresser. We were booked here by Latin Tours. Spent our second day looking for a better place and found it one street from the beach at Cas de Sul.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple