“Noisy,noisy,noisy.....too expensive....Not clean,not nice....”

Copacabana Sol Hotel
Ranked #142 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Actually no idea why I came back.we stayed in the granada in lapa before and hated it so i looked for a hotel up to a 100 us a night and came back to this one.....awful!!!!!
Just a block from a favela, awfully noisy .maids bother you at 7 in the morning.they dont care ,bang the doors ,you thinnk they are in the room actually thanks to paperthin walls and cardboard like cheap cheap cheap doors.....i just came back beause i hated lapa ....copacabana is a nicer area but no way to get a decent hotel for less than 250 us in rio. I already knew it ,but was too cheap to believe it lol their cleaning is practically just making the ed.the same piiece of paper hasnt been removed in three days so you ask what else hasn t een done,right? Being in brazil the aswer just can be : nothing.....so sad. At least now they have plasma tvs with really perfect cable tv or satellite and a big fridge.dont touch the minibar.....this is worse than an assault :)
Just 4 blocks from the beach and some nice little and big eateries all around. Do not go too far at night. The favela,slums are just behind the hotel and we even had the pleasure to listen to some gun fights.....
The ugly 1976 furniture, the terrible prison like chairs that make awful noises when all those neaderthal guests just drag them on the granite floors....all night and day....so nnoisyyyyyyy this place.
Not to forget the construction going on in the street......if you wat to relax this is not the place!
The money you pay and the value you get in rio and brazil is just ridiculous.
I dont even want to compare anymore.this hotel in vegas would be like 15 bucks ad i would run away...in overpriced rio you must e happy for aything elow 120 us .....like mahattan without glam our....so sad this country.
Ok back to the room. Spacious and with terrible cheap granite floors.dont like this because with the ac running it gets a morgue appeal....brrrrrrr
Always cold and nothing classy,not even cozy.
Then their terrible white neon lightsaving bulbs.....destroy any comfort.
This is definitely my last time in rio.....just a big potemkin facade of better times.....
No need to take this hotel......really not.
I would not even recommend rio at all......

Room Tip: Do not get a 05 or 06 ......no views at all,small and just like a prison.get 04 and 03 !!!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank adrianmiami

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I was unfortunately druggged (they poured into my drink what they call CINDERELLA drug) on Sunday night (25-05-2014), in the nightclub called 00. The robbers took me to the hotel and they stole my watch, money, wallet with 500 brazilian reais (250 US dollars approximately) and mobile phone. The hotel staff let them in and they even collaborated. They don't want to even show me camera images.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
12  Thank Madluismi
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I looked for a while to find a nice Hotel close to the beach at a reasonable price. This hotel was off a side street and was surprisingly quiet. However, we were still very close to shops and restaurants. Buffet breakfast was very good, rooms very clean and comfortable. Bathrooms were strangely huge, while bedrooms were a bit small. Great T.V. and english language channels.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Anna P
Reviewed May 13, 2014

First: there is virtually hotel in Copacabana for which you would pay a value that is proportional to the actual quality of the hotel. But this is the overrated Rio de Janeiro and there is nothing we can do.
This said, I can say that Copacabana Sol has everything you need, including good location, cleanness and, above all, extremely helpful, polite and competent front desk personnel.
Morning breakfast is OK, though the quality of the raw materials could perhaps be better. Let's not forget the price.
In conclusion: this is my option for Copacabana.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Maubett
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Room was supposed to be 'de luxe'. For $200 a night I expected better. Twin beds were very narrow. There was a residual smell of smoke. Bathroom was too small to turn round in, nowhere to hang towels. Breakfast room was like a bomb-site. I had to clear and wipe a table for myself, there was almost no buffet left when I arrived. The 2 staff were totally overwhelmed. Two small elevators were inadequate for the number of people in the hotel. Had to wait a long time for elevator and then it was so crowded I couldn't get in. Only one member of reception staff was friendly and smiley. The others seemed like I was an inconvenience and were off-hand. I was expected to pay for the whole stay at check-in, without seeing the room. Likewise when I booked an airport transfer I was expected to pay upfront before we even set off.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank gertie84
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed here in mid January.

Pros-
Good location
nice rooms
friendly staff
decent breakfast

Cons-
Loud air con (but has aircon!)
No hairdryer
Would benefit from taxi pick up service from airport

More details:

We arrived at 11pm due to a late flight, and they were incredibly helpful in taking our booking that late. The receptionist spoke good english and was efficient given the time, but still gave good quality information (i.e. maps, etc.).

The breakfast is good. There is fresh juice, coffee and tea on offer, alongside pastries, eggs, sausage, loads of cakes and fresh fruit.

We got upgraded on arrival and the room was lovely (room 107). It had a lounge section (which we didn't really use), a large bed, a good telly with english options (E!, BBC News, CNN), a fridge, but think the room would benefit from a hairdryer.

The bathroom was clean and large. It had a jacuzzi bath and a large walk in shower. The shower could have been more powerful, but I thought the bathroom was really nice. It could benefit from a good scrub in between the tiles for pedantic customers.

We had two air con units in our room. They were noisy and made a large clicking noise all throughout the night. It wasn't completely clear how to use it and you couldn't control the temperature it only had a + or - sign.

The location is three blocks from the beach. It takes about 5 minutes and is a nice walk due to the cafes and shops. There is a supermarket right near the hotel, which we found convienent (it wasn't open late though). The hotel was very close to the tube too.

I would recommend this place for the helpful staff, nice rooms, and good location. What more could you ask for. I think it would benefit from hotel pick up from the airport, we paid 120 real to get picked up and they dropped us off for 90. This would have been a nice service. I also think compared to UK prices this hotel is expensive, so I have only put this at average value.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hazell21
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed on a last minute trip to Rio without reservations, so can't complain about the high price which is normal for Rio. This is a basic hotel typical in Brasil without any frills. Good morning breakfast, friendly staff, clean...so I give 4 stars. They lost a 5th star because the clerk tried to add the booking.com fee onto my "final" price and I had to pull the correspondence and terms of service to let him know that was not how it works.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends