“Not bad for copacabana”

Ranked #113 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
london
“Not bad for copacabana”
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised by this hotel - huge room, clean and equipped. Great breakfast, friendly staff. It was a little noisy, but we didn't experience the level of disruption as some other reviewers - slept through the night. Location is good for copacabana beach and the metro. It's not the copacabana palace, but it's convenient. Good for the price considering how expensive rio has become.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel has a good accommodation, breakfast and location however the employees don't help the tourist to find a best deal to visit the city. They offer services with prices over the average and if you don't agree they treat you bad. The employees take advantage from tourist. Also they charge for wifi. As a Brazilian I am shame to write this review but I am sure there are many other hotels better to stay. My recommendation: Check the prices outside of the hotel before agree with any service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Solange M

Travelers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Your average 3 star hotel, it was clean and comfortable. No wifi, but great location near shops, cafes and restaurants and within walking distance of the beach. You can easily get to Ipanema for nights out or a quieter beach day. Breakfast was fine and we had no security problems. We stayed for 6 nights and were able to get around to all the tourist attractions (Christ the Redeemer etc) from here and try out different areas of the city (Lapa, Ipanema, Flamenco).

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cassie D
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Bandeirantes is a truly terrible hotel. I stayed there for two nights in May 2013. On both of those nights I hardly slept due to the deafening street noise coming into the room from the paper-thin windows. The air conditioning drowned it out, but was so loud itself that sleep was difficult anyway. The elevators are painfully slow, and most of the time I opted for the ugly back staircase instead. The washroom in the common area was flooded when I tried to use it. The hotel was dark and dank, and just seemed like a sad place.
Worst of all, the staff are surly. Upon check-in, they assigned me to a room that was under construction, filled with tarps and paint cans and ladders. They then moved me to a different room, but had no record that they moved me, and when I checked out they tried to make me pay for charges stemming from the construction room. I refused, and it got loud. I would never, ever stay here again.
There are two average things about it: it's only about a five-minute walk to the Copacabana Beach, and the restaurant (in the underwhelming basement) has a decent selection. Honestly, though, Rio is packed with hotels. If you want to enjoy your time in this amazing city, choose a different one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Angela K
UK
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

This place is poor. There are much, much better options in Copacabana. A good hostel would be much better than this hotel.

The staff are very unfriendly and check out took forever thought the staff at breakfast were friendly They have no secure baggage storage they just tie up the bags in the lobby. Anyone could walk in so don't leave valuables there.

The rooms were clean and a good size. The beds a very soft and the single beds in the single rooms are tiny. If you do stay here make sure you get a room that does not face the road- it is so noisy.

You have to pay extra for wifi and it only works in the rooms, not in the lobby. It also kept losing the signal.

Breakfast was average.

Way overpriced.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank UKtravellergirl
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Bandeirantes on February 2013. We booked the hotel through a travel agency so we didn't have much of a choice, but were aware of the bad reviews the Bandeirantes has in tripadvisor. Most of all, we were afraid of having some of our things stolen, as some people have mentioned. We stayed at the hotel for only 3 nights and I can say that everything was ok. Yes, the rooms and furniture are outdated, but for the money we didn't expect much anyway. THE GOOD: the rooms are big enough, no triping on the luggage or stuff like that; the air conditioning, althoug really noisy, is a MUST in Rio if you wanna have a nice sleep; the location is great, only 3 blocks away from the Copacabana beach and near lots of restaurants, markets and bus stops; water pressure was great, the bathroom was clean and towels wee changed everyday. THE BAD: the walls are paper thin, you can hear EVERYTHING from the other rooms. From the bathroom you can even hear the person next door taking a shower; the "buffet" breakfaste us REALLY scarce, the coffee is bad, and the juices seem from last week; the elevator takes ages to arrive, and most of the time is packed with peapole so we ended up using the stairs most of the time, and we were in the eight floor !! THE UGLY: not much really, no coacroaches, no bugs, no hairs in the shower or anything like that, I guess we were lucky.
CONCLUSION: if you are in a tight budget and are only looking for a place to sleepd, definitely give this hotel a shot, but do not expect any type of luxury or comfort at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecargentina
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I read the reviews about this hotel before my stay so I was prepared for the negatives given by the others, which i appreciated. The hotel itself is average, clean but outdated, the noise from the street sounds like you are sleeping on the curb and depending on which room you are in the AC can be noisy (it was in one of my rooms, but quiet in the other so it's a crapshoot). The thing i liked was the restaurant in the hotel. Breakfast was very good and since I was on my own for a couple of days I ate lunch in the hotel and one night ordered room service. In a city that I couldn't seem to escape warnings of violence and not going too far alone, that was very convenient.

The hotel staff is pretty much as described also, the men at the desk are moody and curt for the most part but the conducting of the business at hand was done efficiently so OK, i don't need them to be my best friend. Luckily, when i arrived Simone was at the desk and she is very pleasant, helpful and efficient. She found out I had the day on my own so she helped me book a trip to Sugarloaf effortlessly and i was picked up at the hotel. Caution though to english speaking visitors, the trip she booked me was in Portugese, but luckily the leader spoke english so for every 500 words in Portugese I got about 10 in english, but I got to and from where i needed to go.

My BIG issue with this hotel was that both times i checked in and checked out ( i stayed here before and after a G Adventures tour adding a few extra days) I had to argue charges added to my bill from the mini fridge as well as the internet. The hotel staff obviously take things out of the fridge knowing that people are going to pay for them just to get the heck outta there, I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. The first time there was a charge for an extra day of internet (after I paid in cash 15 reals for a days worth), which i refused to pay and the tour leader smoothed over. Then on the way home i was charged for 2 beers, which i also refused to pay for. However, they gave me a very hard time but eventually Simone gave the other guy permission to just give in b/c i had stayed there already and paid for the legit charges.

The proximity of the hotel to the beach is very good and on the whole it is not a horrible hotel, but given the option of all the hotels in the area i would have to think there was something better for the money.

Room Tip: Try and get a room not at the front, too noisy.