See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 24, 2014

A good place to stay if you are looking for the beach of Copa Cabana and a place to sleep at night.

Pros: This hotel was clean and conveniently located. The rooms were very basic but fine. The staff were friendly and helpful. A light breakfast was included.

Cons: Just a basic hotel with no amenities.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jordan S
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Apa was one of the cheaper hotels we looked at in Rio De Janeiro. The rooms are basic, but we still had a stocked mini bar and it was clean. It is 2 blocks from Copacabana Beach and there is lots of shopping close by. It is also easy access by bus to virtually everywhere in Rio.

The staff are very helpful and can speak some English which is useful. As it is right on one of the main roads, it is noisy at night but it is to be expected - if you are a light sleeper take some ear plugs!!

Would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to come to Rio De Janeiro, just don't expect a beach view!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank stephie87
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My first priority for hotels has always been location, location, location. This is awesome! Safe location (turn right out of the lobby towards the beach) 2 blocks from the heart of Copacabana. We stayed here for World Cup Finals week and it was packed with futbol fanatics! Loved it! Especially the quaint breakfast area where you could shmooze with others in the morning and was more than enough food to fill your tank for a full days of touring!

3-star hotel so adjust your expectations accordingly. Shower with hot water and good pressure. Toilets and sinks that worked. Good housekeeping service with nice towel changes, shampoo, linens, etc. We had a triple for 3 soccer dudes. Each bed was a twin-size and was fine. The room was plenty big and seemed as though if needed, they would just remove the 3rd bed and it would a double. Little balcony was good for standing and looking. Good air-conditioning. Safe and a wall safe!

If you're looking for that 'hotel' experience with the big lobby where you sit and watch the comings and goings, a concierge that bows to your every whim and staff who all know your name, then you're looking for 4 or 5 star hotels! Nice staff, nice small lobby and they do have a small lobby sitting area with a TV. Two small old operational elevators that fit 3 people and 4 if you all breath in at the same time; no problem for me.

On the other side of this small street was the quick eatery, Bigbi! Yummy!

Almost forgot, the most IMPORTANT thing they had FREE adequate (maybe some upgrades needed for speed and bandwidth) WiFi throughout the entire hotel!!! A MUST!

If you're looking for a great 'home-base' hotel where the hotel is not the focus of your vacation, this is it!

Room Tip: My room, 526 was a triple that faced Rua Republica Do Peru street (the one the hotel is listed on). The higher you are the less noise closer to the street; your view won't be any different with a higher elevation floor and you might need to wait for the elevator longer but the latter was never a problem. If your room faced the complete opposite side of the hotel, I think it would be quieter but the view of the street action would be less and not as pretty. The 'end caps' of this rectangular building would have the loudest side facing towards the beach on Rua Barata Ribeiro and the quieter side facing the mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank DrTaras
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Excellent location only 2 blocks away to Copacabana Beach. Very nice and helpfull staff. I asked for a recommendation to a nice restaurant and not only they recommend us one but they even took the time to take us there. Amazing service. They always gave us good tips for local transportation to move around the area and to visit Rio's landmarks, maps and directions.
Nice breakfast included and clean 3 beds room perfect for us.
Absolutely recommend this Hotel and will gladly be back there.
Thanks Apa Hotel's Staff

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Bert B
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is its location in Cococabana, 3 blocks from the beach.

The hotel is far from luxurious, but it's clean, with towels changed daily, with a fridge, TV and safe in each room.

The breakfast is okay- tea, coffee, juice, 4 types of fresh fruit, drinkable yogurt, scrambled eggs, frostiness cereal, fresh rolls with a selection of jams, ham, cheese, dulce de leche?, mini- custard filled croissants and two types of Madeira cake. Enough to get your day started.

I had one negative experience on check-in when the guy at the desk checked me into a single room when I had deliberately booked a room with a double bed. I asked for the double room I'd booked and initially I was told there were no double rooms but I could have one "mañana" or tomorrow. Not good enough and I insisted on the room I'd booked. A few minutes later, the bellboy took me to another room which was a double one. Finally, issue resolved. As a single woman travelling alone, I felt the guy in the hotel was trying to take advantage and fob me off with a tiny single room, so be warned. That said, the rest of my experience in the hotel was fine and the rest of the staff were nice, friendly and helpful, particularly the ladies looking after breakfast.

All told, if I was on a budget, I would stay here again. Hotels in rio are expensive and this was good value for the location and in a safe neighbourhood.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo