“Not a 4 start hotel by any means”

Atlantico Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #230 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not a 4 start hotel by any means”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This was probably a 4 star in 1960 but is now 2 star at best. the rooms were dated although they were clean. The pool was not usable as the filtration system wasn't working properly. The roof top terrace bar and grill is a telephone on the wall. Overpriced for what it is and with so much choice in Rio, I won't use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Graeme J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The only things I liked about this hotel is the location, the controls on the bed and decent breakfast selection. As soon as we got there, the front desk guy did his best to sell us on tours and restaurants. I'm positive he's earning commission on these. We nearly committed to an all-day tour. Thank goodness he only got as far as contacting the company and giving them our names. He gave us the time and said we would be paying when it bus picked us up. Later when we walked to the beach, we found a tour office and ended up purchasing that very same tour for 60R less each person. Even after narrowly escaping being scammed, we still went up to the front desk to let them know that they should contact the company and cancel. It was a girl this time and I swear, she didn't know a single word in English. I was flabbergasted. In a city, that gets loaded with tourists, this hotel hired someone to be on front lines who couldn't speak English.
It's very easy to use the subway and cheap too. You can catch it right across the street. There are machines to purchase the metro cards from and you can just load them up again. It's only 1 stop going southbound to get down to where the nightly Copacabana market is on the beach in front of the Othon hotel. That is definitely THE place to get souvenirs at a good price. You will see the Copacabana Havaianas store on the way. Keep going south, I think a couple more stops, and you will reach Ipanema. We were there in the morning and there was a market all around that subway. Nothing really in terms of souvenirs but lots of produce and even meat.
The juice place across the street is great. Best mango juice we've ever had. You can get sandwiches and desserts too.
There's grocery stores around. I can't remember the name of the one you'll pass on the way to the beach. I thought the wine selection was decent there but I couldn't really find bags of coffee which I wanted to bring back home. I did find coffee somewhere else.
My husband and I are not big eaters. We knew going to a churrascaria would be a waste of money but obviously you gotta try it in Brazil! Luckily, our all day tour included that and it was such a great deal overall. They took us to Carretao. It was great. If you're wanting to get that kind of food without stuffing yourself to the max, they have per-kilo places where they weigh your plate. I thought that was cool. The closest one to the hotel that's like this is Siqueira Grill. It's down the street on the way to the beach. The is the one thing the front desk guy offered that we actually used. He gave us a card that would give us free drinks. I happened to notice he wrote some kind of code in it which I'm sure resulted in a commission for him. By the way, the caiprinha here is terrible.
After coming from Peru, I was really surprised there was so few friendly people in Rio. I really don't know how else to put it but I have been to a lot of places in Asia, Europe and North America and in the hospitality business, I was usually treated like my business was valued. Not so much in Brazil. Most workers in the hotel, restaurants, retail stores, etc. treated me almost like a nuisance, like their business doesn't need tourists like me. Oh you better believe I hung on to money that could have been tips for them. Not sure if the hostility was because we knew about 5 words in Portuguese...oh well.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ango4

Travelers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Staff not very smiley (apart from maintenance guys). The receptionist would indicate that they were busy and unable to help you simply by pointing at his/her colleague, not talking or even looking at you as if we were not worth talking to. Internet comes with extra cost (when it's free everywhere else, including the hostels in Lapa and McDonalds) . Swimming pool with possibly contaminated water unsuitable for swimming (in 3 days when we stayed the problem couldnt get sorted and was closed). Its not that you need it, but you will still have to pay for it. We stayed at other less star hotels, poudadas and hostels where hospitality was prevailent but not at this 4 star hotel with a very expensive price tag.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank pomrakkhun
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed April 25, 2014

If you feel the need to sleep in a clean bed and shower in a clean bathroom, don’t go there.
Upon arrival I was surprise by how filthy the room was; there were even hair in the bathroom’s wall (lots and lots of hair). I immediately ask the front desk manager to have someone going and cleaning up the room but, for my surprise, I was told that no one would be available till next morning. They also wouldn’t let me change the room because the hotel was fully booked (a lie, I found out later).
After much discussion, they agreed to set me in a lower standard (but cleaner) room. The hotel is very old, so there isn’t a single room in perfect condition, you must be aware of this before booking.
On the bright side, it is only a couple blocks from Copacabana’s beach.

Room Tip: It's a very expensive hostel....
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Natan E
New York
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We booked this hotel for one night to make the transistion from a cruise ship to the airport. Great location with restuarants and the beach nearby. Approximately 4 blocks back from the beach. Near the Fort (a great place for lunch). The hotel reception arranged for a great city tour and car service to the international airport. It is not possible to see the sights as the traffic is awful and the sights are far apart by public transport unless you have alot of time. The room is basic, clean and nothing special. The breakfast was good with hot items, fruit and several bread items. The wi-fi is free not particularly fast, but adequate. The A/C is not the best but works. The bathroom was updated and spotless. The hotel kept our lounge for the day as we had a 9PM flight. Let us change and freshen up before the airport. This area is very expensive, so the hotel was good value for money but do not expect luxury.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandie-NY
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The Hotel Atlantico Copacabana is located a short walk to the beach and close to some interesting places to shop and eat. The pool is on the roof of the hotel is small, but a good view of the city can be had there. The "complimentary" breakfast was good, with lots of variety. This is a 2 to 2 1/2 star hotel at most.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Don S
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

air condition unit defunct noise in room unbearable finished up changing rooms after heated exchange with reception desk location very good some services good all depended who you spoke to roof space good clean and swimming pool servived every day

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo