“Very good service, food and staff.”

Augusto's Rio Copa Hotel
Ranked #71 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Good location. Located 4 blocks from Arcoverde subway station and 2~3 blocks from western Copacabana beach. I stayed in a triple room with my parents. Beds were very good and sheets were very clean and soft! Room could be a little larger for a triple one but it was ok.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank fcsoares

Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel was fine for a cheaper option in Copacabana, but don't be fooled by their 4-star rating. It is NOT a four star hotel. The lobby is nice, and it has a nice enough restaurant, but the rooms are 2.5 - 3 star at most. They are clean and tidy and spacious, but the bathroom is tiny and cramped. The floor was linoleum, and permanently stained with marks, which really detracted from the ambiance of the room. I was given a street-side room, and the noise was horrendous- it is on the main road coming into Copacabana, just before the tunnel, and is very very busy. The noise was made even worse by the fact that the air-conditioner was not sealed around the edges at all - it was just sitting in the space with gaps all around directly to the outside. The comforter on my (king-size) bed covered about my shoulders to my ankles (and I'm not tall!). When I asked for another one, they gave me one that was actually king-sized - so don't understand why it wasn't provided in the first place! I had to pay $3 per day for a tiny in-room safe. It won't hold anything larger than a tablet computer. Irons and ironing boards aren't kept in the rooms, but I asked from them to be brought in, and they arrived promptly and were left there for my week-long stay. The pool on the top floor is tiny (smaller than my backyard pool!) and looked very shallow. I liked the breakfast: 4 hot options, always including scrambled eggs, plus a variety of bread rolls, meats, cheeses, sweet buns & pastries, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, coffee and juices. However for other meals the restaurant was quite pricey - especially when they had a buffet. Be aware there is a perfectly nice "por-kilo" (pay-by-weight buffet) place one block away toward the beach, where you can get a plateful of delicious food for $15-$20 Reis. (I think the buffet in the hotel on some days was more like R$40 or $50!). Parking is expensive (~R$30 a day) and gets full - so book it ahead of time if you can. Just pull up on the footpath outside the hotel, and the valet will park it for you. But on the way out you will have to walk down the road with your luggage to the parking lot - they don't bring it to the door. This makes sense given the traffic pattern, but was a bit annoying. I arrived one day after daylight saving had begun, and the alarm clock in my room had not be updated, and resulted in me being late my first day ... All in all, this hotel is fine if you want a cheaper option, but ONLY if you get a room away from the road-side, and you are aware it is more like a 3-star hotel.

Room Tip: Road-side rooms are horribly noisy: the a/c units are not sealed in, so traffic noise (from a VERY b...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Summery1
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The title says it all: good value and good location. Three blocks away from the Copacabana beach at the Leme side. The huge Rio Sul shopping mall is just on the other side of the tunnel. Walking distance to the Praia Vermelha (2km) from where the cable car to the Pao de Acucar (Sugarloaf) leaves. Airport shuttle (R$12 per person) stops at the bus stations outside the hotel.
Room was clean and functional, but noisy on the lower levels unless you get one facing the backside of the hotel. Small pool and terrace on the top with nice view over the Copacabana neighborhood and a small section of the beach. The gym is basic but does the job for a short stay. Breakfast is included and offers good choices. Good value for Rio, in particular if you take advantage of the early booking discount.

Room Tip: rooms on back side a quieter, rooms ending with 1/5/6/10 are the largest
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Topbernina
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and I would only recommend it for short stays.
The room was overlooking the busy main road and thus the noise was terrible both during night and day (it was first floor).
The room was clean, but the bathroom was very old and dirty.
Breakfast was ok and people were nice.
We asked for transport to airport and they got us a taxi for 80 Brazilian reals (the average is actually 50 Brazilian reals).

Room Tip: Do not chose rooms overlooking the main road, the noise is terrible.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicoleta I
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We have used this hotell three times before and like to stay there because its not too big and had a very nice staff, and we always get nice rooms.
We are platinum members of Best Western rewards, and always get upgrades rooms. But this time we get a small room with a small bathroom in floor 2. It was not so clean as before either. The hotel was not fullbooked! We stay three nights before leaving to Paraty.

But, we must tell that we enjoy very much to be meet som of the staff; bellmen, waiters, and some people in the repception smile to us, because they remember us. they even look happy to see us again. It always nice to meet smiling staff who do everything for making our stay nice.
If we somtime are going back to Rio Copa its do to the smiling staff.

The breakfast is very good, its somthing there for everybody, we love it!
The pool area, sauna and just renovated and very nice.
Its easy to reach everything too see in Rio de Janery from the hotel, taxi, bus, you can even walk to the beach.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jonandbrit
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My room wasn't ready in time to access it before my group headed off for lunch (at 2pm) and when I returned I found that I had been given a room overlooking the very busy main road with a window that didn't shut. In fairness, I was given another room without any argument in a quieter part of the hotel. This room backed on to a block of residential flats so, as there were only sun block curtains on the window, it was a choice of leaving them closed constantly and leaving the lights on, or opening them to risk being overlooked by the neighbours! The maid "service" was almost non-existent. The bed was made and the bins emptied and that was it. At no time were any used towels/bath mats removed, shower/basin/lavatory cleaned or used glasses washed and replaced.
The temperature was in the 30s and high 20s during my stay, but the room had only a "blown air" arrangement - no air conditioning - which was extremely noisy and which had a bed pushed up against it. It made little or no impact on the temperature of the room, particularly as the electricity was turned off during absences from the room.
Didn't use the bar/restaurant or "pool" so can't comment, but breakfast was poor - only two choices of cereal, both of which were over sweet and there was rarely cold water available unless requested.
How this hotel can sell itself as 4* Superior is beyond me.

Room Tip: Not sure there is one!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Irene M
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for four nights. Rooms not ready at time of check-in. When I got to my room the bathroom was dirty - I went to reception to point this out and I got a dismissive shrug of the shoulders by the rude male receptionist. Every day I had to ask for my room to be cleaned as when I returned at 1630+ the chamber maid had not visited. The bathroom sink, floor and hotel room floor was not cleaned for the whole duration of the trip. The maids only seemed to make the bed and change towels. All other times the maids were seen chatting, on mobile phones or dozing on lobby chairs. Eggs were nice at breakfast though!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo