“Close to Station”

Premier Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #116 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed July 29, 2011

It's good to people on business who are not going to the beach and don't want to expend much money. Not far from Botafogo, and the metro station is just crossing the street, very handy if you have to get this transport. The front desk was kind of indifferent, no smile, no kindness, worked like robots. Room is ok, but a little small if I'd go with someone else.

And that is it, just recommend if you got to Rio on business. The beach and Atlantica Ave are a little bit far from the hotel, and during the night the neighborhood don't look like safe to wander around.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank takanooki

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Good hotel, with a good location. Not in front of Copacabana beach, but about 5 blocks from it. There are many restaurants, bakeries and stores nearby. In front of the hotel there are a subway station, where you can go to Rio downtown easily. The room is large and was very clean. Staff ok.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank fpolezi
Reviewed November 4, 2010

stayed for 5 nights .when walked thru front door looked nice but got to room and very old and small. front desk service was not very helpful and a smile wouldnt have hurt their faces. overall our experience was not very welcoming .

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Markcigana2
Reviewed August 26, 2010

The Premier Copacabana is walking distance to the Copacabana beach - about 5 blocks. I generally felt safe walking after dark, but as with all places, just be smart. The hotel staff was real hit or miss as far as service goes. Some of the staff were very helpful, some staff would all but refuse to help with simple requests. Breakfast each morning was decent, not the best hotel buffet, but not the worst I have had in Brazil. My room was a bit awkward with a very small (size of a cubicle) room with just enough space for a love seat and a table, then there was a hallway leading in to the bedroom. It seemed like a waste of space/furniture, as no one could really use this space. The bed was one of the more uncomfortable beds I have had since traveling for work. Further, the air conditioning is either on or off - and the street noise (even at the 14th floor) was loud enough to make sleeping through the night more difficult. The hotel charged to use a security safe each day you are in the hotel. They also added many extra lines of mini-bar items that were never actually consumed to the bill. I would not recommend this hotel, but would say that you could do worse, so if you have to stay here, it is not too bad - but I would look some where else if you have the option.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank 3riq
Reviewed May 15, 2010

Right at the get go, the afternoon/evening front desk guy Nivaldo was instantly rude, then proceeded to say there was an issue with the charge to our room. I had booked through hotels.com and Nivaldo said they were provided w/incorrect info from hotels.com. So, he said we will have to pay for whomever's mistake. I thought maybe he had an off day, but he had the same attitude the following day. I also came across another American hotel guest that had the same issue w/him, regarding his rude and abrasive personality. I cannot say the same for other hotel staff. The cleaning service, bellhop and other front desk staff were much more honest, helpful and accomodating for the remainder of our stay. In the end, there was no problem w/our room rates and such, Nivaldo was just being an as% and difficult. The hotel is like 5 blocks from the beach but right across the metro station if you want to take to go to Ipanema Beach. I recommend Ipanema Beach over Copacabana. More locals frequent Ipanema than the saturated tourists on Copacabana.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We were happy with our stay at the Premier Copacabana Hotel. Its location right across from the metro made it easy to go to Ipanema and Centro. Although it is not on the beach, the walk of 5 short blocks is interesting. There are numerous restaurants and a couple supermarkets nearby.

Our room was large with a separate sitting room. The furnishings are dated but the room was clean. The shower was extra-large. An in-room safe can be used for a small daily fee. The free wireless internet is a plus. There is a breakfast buffet included with a variety of food choices. The rooftop pool is small but great for cooling off on a hot day. There is a good view of Corcovado from the rooftop; be sure to go up at sunset to see the lights come on.

Although some reviews criticize the staff, we found them to be friendly and helpful. We did not take any of the tours set up by the hotel, but other guests we talked to said the tours were very good.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda S
Reviewed February 2, 2010

not a bad place - room OK with TV including English channels and wifi - but the walk to the beach was about 5 blocks - - one street I felt safer on (the south of the hotel) - the one to the north I was hassled especially at night (I am fairly fit 6'1" 200 pound guy). basically after dinner I came back to the room and hung out as i did not feel safe after dark in the area (it was OK during the day) - there are safer areas in the city. The subway is good and right across the street - if I were only using the subway this would be fine. If I went back to Rio I would definitely stay in Ipanema - much safer and more foreign tourist friendly - if a bit more costly it would still be worth it for piece of mind. I guess I could have taken a taxi everywhere but this was a budget trip - for the extra price of cabs I would have just stayed in Ipanema.

While I had a great deal on Hotelbook.com my reservation specifically stated that tax and service were included - at checkout there was a fairly significant tax and service charge and I was told that it was not included. I showed them the reservation and basically was told I was wrong, then they tried to say with the conversion rate it was included (not even close). I needed to leave to catch my plane so it was paid with my credit card - when I got home I called Hotelbook.com on the number on their emailed post stay questionnaire - this number connects you to a person that does reservations only - when i asked for customer service they gave me the number for web support and i reached a dead end with them (they said there was no one to call). Hotelbook.com is obviously just a booking engine with no customer support - just a warning - my losses are about $30 so it won't kill me - but it irks me.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo