“Pricy, but Worth it”

Orla Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #80 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at Orla Copacabana for the last two nights of our stay in Brazil. Its a shame that we could not afford more, because it was really great. We splurged for the room with an ocean view, and I must say that being right on the beach, it was perfect. In fact, I think I would have been pretty upset if we paid all of that money and didn't have a room with a view. The hotel is expensive in general because of the location (on the beach in Rio!) and I don't recall the room prices (view vs. no view) having THAT big of a difference. It was a formal-style hotel with an available front desk, but is very much a hotel. We usually do the B&B thing, so it was a change of pace from that. There were actually lots of business people that you would see in the morning at breakfast or coming back after a long day's work, which I found interesting for a beach front hotel, but it made no difference to us. Breakfast was included and good- not the most amazing but certainly not bad either. The room was clean and far more impressive than many of the pictures I saw of dozens of hotels when I was researching where to stay (they all looked so outdated, old, and ugly). We were very, very comfortable, but honestly, we were not in the room to do much more than sleep- you are in RIO! The bellhop connected us to an awesome driver who took us around to see the sights, dinner, dancing, etc., and on our last day, to the airport. He was our age, personable, reliable, knowledgable, helpful, and made great recommendations. Though he did not work for the hotel directly, he was a part of a group of divers that seems to partner with the hotel, so I found it worth mentioning. Overall, it was a great short stay, despite the insane prices you will find everywhere in Rio, especially beachfront. A great treat if you can swing it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kira H
There are newer reviews for Orla Copacabana Hotel

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at Orla because our first choice, Arena Copacabana, did not allow 3 travelers for some reason.

The hospitality at Orla was quite good, with several of the reception staff being multilingual. Some people on tripadvisor have complained about the size of the area where breakfast is served, but I found it to be adequate, but not as large as other places we have stayed in Copacabana. I think you just need to make sure you get down there a little earlier than most travelers so you don't hit the rush.

This whole hotel is very skinny, which I don't recall seeing in other reviews. It is literally maybe 20-25 feet wide in its entirety. So the breakfast/restaurant area, the reception area, and the hallways are all narrow. No major complaints about our room, everything was in working order, except you might have needed a PhD to figure out the in-room safe. There were no instructions on or around the safe, so we had to ask to figure it out. And, there were some smudge marks on the wall, like the wall needed a good wipe down.

The really big issue we encountered during our three night stay is that one of the guest elevators broke down. These elevators weren't fast to begin with. We found ourselves waiting up to 5 minutes for the elevator to come. We started taking the stairs (from the 7th floor!) and then quickly got wise to the service elevator and started using that. I think the elevator broke down on the first day we were there and wasn't repaired by the time we checked out. In a big city like Rio, I am SURE that someone who is qualified in elevator repair could have been summoned in that time.

Had the elevator not broken down, this would have been a pretty satisfying stay, but not exceptional. Considering the elevator, it was just ho-hum. Nothing to ruin everything, but nothing above and beyond.

Room Tip: We always spring for an ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ingenuepunk
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here for one night in January 2012 and the location was great with excellent views, however the room was basic and small.

I expected a little more considering the room was expensive.

The rest of the hotel is fine and the staff were helpful.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

It is a nice hotel located very close to the Copacabana beach; Ipanema and Leblon are not far away either, connected by a long walkway, along which you can stroll o jog to your hear’s content. Many rooms have a view to the internal courtyard, avoid it if you really need a beautiful view. But once you get to the roof terrace, there’s a mini swimming pool there as well as the views onto the Copacabana beach as well as the Sugar Loaf. The breakfast room is very small, which causes huge queues and delays, which is annoying – but the breakfast itself is good.
The rooms are nice and functional.
I do not recommend sending postcards from the reception – they overcharge you significantly.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank trvlgrll
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The location of Orla was awesome but the hotel rooms are very average and hotel seemed overpriced for the room amenities they provided. We booked a interior room and we had no window :(. AC worked well but we still paid $150/night for that interior room. Breakfast was very good and service was not bad.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank itravelalways
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The hotel is located in a great location, in front of Copacabana Beach and 5 minute walk to Ipanema that's what I enjoyed the most. The rooms are small and dark and the bathroom is very little to have to share with someone. We had ants in our room and it took 3 days for someone to attend having to ask every day. As for the Staff, I didn't find them helpful nor did I find them friendly. I had a message left for me which wasn't given to me and it was only that I went to reception to ask them something that they remembered and then advised that they had only received it (this was not true). Given the price and the experience I would be looking at other places to stay the next time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was a cool hotel in a very nice location in front of the beach.
I think it's a perfect hotel for couple of business travels since the hotel is not designed for infants or toddlers.
One elevator go broken and we have to wait quite some time to jump on the others but it wasn't a big pain.
The place to have breakfast is small and if the hotel is full of people , you have to wait till they get you a table.
Despite that I have nothing bad to say about this hotel.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones with ocean view and the tall ones
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family