“Old & Tired Hotel in Ipanema”

Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon
Ranked #96 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Great location but this hotel is il and tired inside - like so many Rio hotels very date inside. Found the rooms a bit dated but comfortable enough with great view along the beach. Bit noisy though as I could here the guy talking in the room next door and also the traffic from the street below even though I was on the 23 rd floor

• Stayed: December 2013
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay in our hotel. I regret to read that your experience did not meet with all of your expectations and please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. Rest assured that your feedback plays an important role for us in better understanding the perception of our customers.

Also, I am happy to say that during the next years the hotel will go through new renovations and change most of our standard services, since the hotel has been bought and will be managed by another company.

It will be a pleasure to see you soon at Marina Palace!

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my family. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The bathroom is clean and had both shower and bath tub. The shower was so good.The service at the hotel was also really good, staff is polite and courteous. The breakfast is delicious with a great variety of tropical fruits. The coffee was not good at all and the tables need an upgrading. One night, we ordered room service, the food was delicious, a bit pricey, though.The location is really good, you can walk to many restaurants and shops, even at night is pretty safe. The hotel is right on the beach, needless to say it makes location even more prime. Overall we had a pleasant stay at this hotel

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for posting your comments. We are very satisfied to know about your remarkable stay.

Hope to see you soon at Marina Palace.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here as part of a trip organised by Trailfinders so do not know the cost of the room. To be honest in advance we were concerned about the hotel having read the reviews on Trip Adviser. We arrived around 11.00am and were upgraded and allocated an Executive Room overlooking the beach. It all was so much better than our expectations. The room was not cutting edge modern but it was absoluely fine and the beach view was a real bonus.

We were very pleased to be in Leblon rather than on better known beaches. Decent restaurants within easy safe walking distance ( we used Trip Adviser and ate well at Italian and Thai Restaurants + at a street corner burger Restaurant the night we only needed a snack ).

Other comments about hotel :

Wi-fi included in Reception area

Fridge in our room

Swimming pool area is small and you have to walk up a number of steps. Only limited number of sun umbrellas up there but we spent a happy couple of hours up there each day. Club sandwich there was good.

There are seats on the beach. We were there on a public holiday. Beach was crowded/noisey/fun - you were in Rio/Brazil.

Breakfast was fine

Staff were pleasant and helpful - Reception staff spoke good English.

Don't pay for them to stamp and post your postcards - ours are still to arrive!

Room Tip: Get a Beach view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sending your comments. It is amazing to know that you've got a wonderful time with us. It is our constant effort to improve our services and provide the best assistance to our guest and clients.
I am sorry about the incovenience about the posrtcard, this was a punctual ocurrancy and does not reflect the standard of our services.
I hope we can see you again sooner rather than later.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights at both the beginning and the end of our holiday. On the first occasion we were given a very poorly furnished and 'tired' looking room and so we complained immediately. To be fair, we were given an immediate upgrade but as we checked in around midnight after a long flight that was the least they could do. For our second visit the room looked to be fairly recently refurbished but still the window looked very old and the noise from the Ocean front traffic was a constant problem.

The reception staff were not helpful in any respect and not at all friendly or welcoming. I really think that a customer care course is warranted for the majority of them. On our final check out there was an error whereby they wanted to charge us for full payment of the room when it had already been pre-paid. We had to spend a good deal of time with them on this and as a consequence we missed our designated transportation into Rio. When they finally admitted their mistake we didn't even receive an apology and they just didn't care one bit about the inconvenience caused.

It has a lovely location by the beach but it takes an eternity to get anywhere by car/taxi/bus and I'm sure there are better hotels closer to Copacabana and central Rio with better access to the tourist attractions. If I returned to Rio in the future I would definitely be looking for a different hotel for my stay.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologize for every inconvenience you have mentioned in your review. I assure you that we take your comments with all the seriousness and already acting on several points brought up in your feedback. I am always available for you at g.relations@hoteismarina.com.br, should you be interested in providing us any further information, which is of great help in order to meet different expectations and eliminate imperfections in our services.
In regards to the traffic, Rio de Janeiro's economy has been really warmed up, and unfortunatly you may get traffic all over the city.
We all look forward to welcome you back and provide you another Marina Palace experience.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This hotel urgently needs a renovation. Rooms are dirty and when I say dirty I really mean it!!! Location is good, however, you would expect a lot more for the Price. People at the front desk were not friendly! Do not recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time in sharing with us your opinion about your recent stay with us.
I am deeply sorry about the inconveniences you have had with us, I can guarantee you that it does not reflect the standard of our service and it was a ponctual fact.

Also, I am happy to inform that during the next years our hotel will suffer new renovations and I hope you can stay with us again and enjoy all the changes. Feel free to aware me by e-mail by the time of your next stay with us copying your TripAdvisor message by the e-mail g.relations@marinahoteis.com.br, so I can take personal care of your stay.

Regards,

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Sadly enough this place needs a serious renovation and some soundproof windows (it sound like you are right on the highway and infact iti s because the is such a draft all around the windows) not to speak about the high need of soundproof sealings between floors in the bathroom (you can hear Everything from your nabours . The staff is nice and the location is ideal 2 blocs away from all the shopping of Le Blond and right on the Le Blond beach.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CharlotteW W
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay in our hotel. I regret to read that your experience did not meet with your expectations and please allow me to apologise for any inconvenience you experienced. Rest assured that your feedback plays an important role for us in better understanding the perception of our customers.

I have the pleasure to inform you that during the next and following years, our hotel will suffer new renovations and I hope you may come back to get to know them.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 11, 2013

The hotel itself is located right on Leblon beach. You walk over the street and you are right there. The beach itself is great, as well as Ipanema beach, you have fantastic views at sunset, better than Copacabana in my opinion. Way more scenic.

We were not very happy with our room. We had a standard executive room for three adults reserved and got a tiny room with one double bed. The third bed was squeezed in only after we pointed out that a third person will join us the next day.
We were very surprised at this because the standard executive room was supposed to be a bigger room plus if one reserves ( and pays!) for a room for three adults I expect that, and not a room in which just a third bed will be added.

For three adults we only had one lamp on the night stand and ended up taking the double bed apart to put the lamp in the middle so at least two people could profit from the light. This was the best we could do for the circumstances but was not understood by two room maids who kept on pushing the beds back together, even though it was explained in portogese to them by the manager.
We asked for another room or a bigger room and were brushed off.
In the end we had three single beds together so close that I felt like living in a dormitory. The room was so small it was impossible to open up the suitcases on the floor.

The furniture and the bathroom was very simple, not at all as nice looking as on the website.
I am not sure why the hotel calls itself "palace" because it was not very modern or fancy instead rather old and dated.
Also the hotel pool was very very small. I guess whoever took the hotel pictures knows how a wide angle lens can make indoor spaces look bigger and it sells better.
The hotel did not have a concierge but the staff at the front desk tried to help.

The best thing about the hotel was the location. Leblon is very safe to walk around at day and night time plus the beach is great.
The downside is it is a bit far away from the city but public busses go often and are dirt cheap, like 2.75$ or so.
Also we chose not to have breakfast at the hotel since it seemed kind of steep to us. We preferred a local bakery which was about 10 minutes walk away and ate there every day for less than half of the buffet price.

Room Tip: Chose a higher room with a view of the beach.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time of sharing your previous experience at Marina Palace. It is a pleasure to know you enjoyed relaxed moments in the neighbourhood.
I sincerely apologize for every inconvenience you have mentioned in your review specially because I was there explaining them what was needed to be done. I assure you that we take your comments with all the seriousness and already acting on several points brought up in your feedback.

In regards to the furniture and appereance of our hotel, I have the pleasure to say that during next year and following ones we will go through new renovations.

I am always available for you and we all look forward to welcome you back and provide you another Marina Palace experience.

Best Regards,