“Location good, room not satisfying”

Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon
Ranked #95 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
New York
“Location good, room not satisfying”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The hotel itself is located right on Leblon beach. You walk over the street and you are right there. The beach itself is great, as well as Ipanema beach, you have fantastic views at sunset, better than Copacabana in my opinion. Way more scenic.

We were not very happy with our room. We had a standard executive room for three adults reserved and got a tiny room with one double bed. The third bed was squeezed in only after we pointed out that a third person will join us the next day.
We were very surprised at this because the standard executive room was supposed to be a bigger room plus if one reserves ( and pays!) for a room for three adults I expect that, and not a room in which just a third bed will be added.

For three adults we only had one lamp on the night stand and ended up taking the double bed apart to put the lamp in the middle so at least two people could profit from the light. This was the best we could do for the circumstances but was not understood by two room maids who kept on pushing the beds back together, even though it was explained in portogese to them by the manager.
We asked for another room or a bigger room and were brushed off.
In the end we had three single beds together so close that I felt like living in a dormitory. The room was so small it was impossible to open up the suitcases on the floor.

The furniture and the bathroom was very simple, not at all as nice looking as on the website.
I am not sure why the hotel calls itself "palace" because it was not very modern or fancy instead rather old and dated.
Also the hotel pool was very very small. I guess whoever took the hotel pictures knows how a wide angle lens can make indoor spaces look bigger and it sells better.
The hotel did not have a concierge but the staff at the front desk tried to help.

The best thing about the hotel was the location. Leblon is very safe to walk around at day and night time plus the beach is great.
The downside is it is a bit far away from the city but public busses go often and are dirt cheap, like 2.75$ or so.
Also we chose not to have breakfast at the hotel since it seemed kind of steep to us. We preferred a local bakery which was about 10 minutes walk away and ate there every day for less than half of the buffet price.

Room Tip: Chose a higher room with a view of the beach.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time of sharing your previous experience at Marina Palace. It is a pleasure to know you enjoyed relaxed moments in the neighbourhood.
I sincerely apologize for every inconvenience you have mentioned in your review specially because I was there explaining them what was needed to be done. I assure you that we take your comments with all the seriousness and already acting on several points brought up in your feedback.

In regards to the furniture and appereance of our hotel, I have the pleasure to say that during next year and following ones we will go through new renovations.

I am always available for you and we all look forward to welcome you back and provide you another Marina Palace experience.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Very nice hotel, the breakfast is good and the rooms are also ok. the refurbished rooms are way better than the old ones. Don´t be affraid to ask to exchange if your room smells funny. It is overpriced, but in rio even a water bottle is overpriced (which is a pitty).

If they offer you the HOTEL CAR do not take it, it is two times the price of a street cab.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ricardo G
Dear Ricardo,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us and other travellers. We regret to hear that you had some inconveniences, as our first and most important goal is to offer each of our guests a memorable experience.
The car offered by the hotel is an executive car, where you are guaranteed of more confort and safety, and this is why it costs more than the regular one you may pick up at any place in town.

I hope you may join us rather sooner than later.

Kind Regards,
BRASILIA
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The Marina Palace is an old staple in Rio: not a palace at all but an unmissable tall, mini-skyscraper facing the beach at Leblon (the best thing about it). I agree with everything rygsa (on this site) says about it. Frankly, at US$370 per night for one person without breakfast, you would expect something better, particularly if you are stumping up for seven nights (payment demanded on booking and no refunds). But this is Rio de Janeiro, where three-star hotels such as the Marina cost much more than a similar establishment in London, Paris or New York. You can expect the price to rise considerably at World Cup and Olympics time. Poor value indeed, but the reasonable alternatives are difficult to find in that overpriced city.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Mr. Penney,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us and other travellers. We regret to hear that your experience at Hotel Marina Palace was not up to your expectations, as our first and most important goal is to offer each of our guests a memorable experience. The quality of our facilities is a key factor in that ambition, and that is the reason why we hold regular inspections and routine maintenance to always assure the seamless operation of all the hotel’s premises.

Also, I am happy to inform you that through next year we must suffer new renovations, in order to better attend our clients.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again soon, in order to win back your trust.

Kind regards,
Raquel Gulin - Guest Relations
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We actually didn´t stay here, but the front desk was helpful with recomendations when we came in to exchange money. Although, one bad piece of advice was an offer for us to rent bikes from the hotel, which actually turned out to be effectively renting bikes from the doorman. He charged $30 usd per day for bikes that were partially functional and most likely stolen (the bodies were painted over in grey housepaint). I am all for supporting side businesses of people but this was ridiculous and doesn´t belong at a hotel that purports to be 5 star quality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mr. Brown,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I regret to read that your quick experience did not meet with your expectations and please allow me to apologise for any inconvenience you experienced. Rest assured that your feedback plays an important role for us in better understanding the perception of our insiders and outsider customers.

Argentina
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Booked a "deluxe executive suite" for 2 adults and a baby and specifically requested a crib for the baby. Upon arrival at the hotel, almost at midnight (3 hours to get a taxi from the airport because there had been protests downtown and so, no taxis reached the airport, but that is another story), we were given a room on the 13th. floor, "suite" 1303. We were denied a room on a higher floor because they said they were full - on the 13th. floor you can still hear the noise of non-stop traffic and we had a baby!!! There was no crib in the "suite" and had to phone reception to request one and this took a while again. The "suite" had a king size bed, unacceptable for a mother and a daughter. Another phone call to reception to be told that the hotel does not have double beds which is not true as can be seen on the room pictures on their webpage, or is it that their web pictures are not true? - so, had to make do with a king size bed. The so called "suite" is nothing but a very small room at the entrance with a window to the side street of the hotel, with a desk, a small tv set, two small uninviting chairs and a little round table with another two chairs. The bathroom is ridiculously small - you bump you hip against the counter when you enter. However, must say that the shower was excellent, the best feature of the room !! The bedroom itself has the previously mentioned king size bed, a very bland mattress, standard furniture of the IKEA type, nothing to rave about. There is also one very small closet with just 6 hangers, a minibar and a safe. The view is wonderful but the hotel has nothing to do with the view - any hotel on the beach in Rio has the same view !!! Breakfast is very expensive (R. 48 p.p.) and the buffet is also standard. They have Nespresso machines but the only coffee that is included in the price is the horrible brewed variety - if you want to drink good Nespresso coffee, they charge you extra !! The first thing they do, before they even serve you a cup of coffee, is present the check and you have to sign for breakfast before you have had anything - very annoying !!! Also, you have to ask for a refill every time, there is no one coming around with refills and at this cost, it is certainly expected. The beach service consists of two standard, uncomfortable beach chairs, a shabby umbrella and towels for which you always have to wait ! There is no beverage or food service that can be charged to the hotel bill - you have to pay for them as service is provided by other concessions not belonging to the hotel. The pool is accessed by elevator to the 26th. floor but then you have to walk up TWO FLIGHTS OF STAIRS with a baby carriage and having had 4 hip surgeries, INADMISSIBLE !!! the pool is like a bathtub, the attendant does not even bother to help you with the carriage or provide towels, you have to go and get them yourself !!!! At a cost of almost USD 500.- a night, this lack of service is inadmissible !!! Will not stay here again! Twenty years ago we used to love staying at the Intercontinental Hotel in Sao Conrado but it has been sold, the neighbourhood is run down, they also closed the Nacional across the street years ago. What a pity !! More than 15 years after our last visit to Rio de Janeiro, we found the city to be quite dirty, traffic is imposible, you cannot find a taxi, have to walk everywhere and in spite of the supposed improvement in safety, we did not feel safe in the street at all. The buildings all have gates, there are 3 or 4 guards outside each building, the lights turn on if you walk past, etc., etc. I doubt that we´ll be going back to Rio!

Room Tip: choose a high floor - the non-stop traffic is imposible !!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rygsa
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Guest Relations at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this review, March 24, 2015
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the late reply.

I sincerely apologize for every inconvenience you have mentioned in your review. I assure you that we take your comments with all the seriousness and already acting on several points brought up in your feedback. I am always available for you, should you be interested in providing us any further information, which is of great help in order to meet different expectations and eliminate imperfections in our services.
We all look forward to welcome you back and provide you another Marina Palace experience.

Warm Regards,

Diego Queiroz - Guest Relations
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I booked a Standard Executive as I already knew that the non-executive floors are really dated and moldy. My room was available at 9am, which is really rare in Rio. Check-in was fast and courteous and I was given a room on the 20th floor with great side view to Ipanema Beach and the Christ.
The room itself is not exciting at all, but covers basic needs as a comfortable bed and air conditioning. Bathroom was actually very adequate and the shower was excellent! I ended up not trying the breakfast, which was included on the rate or going up to the swimming pool and gym on the rooftop, which probably offers amazing views.
Location is just excellent. Leblon neighborhood is the most upscale in Rio and you have a huge variety of restaurants and shops, walking distance from the hotel. They also offer complimentary beach service - chairs and towels.
If you can find a rate around US$250-US$270 for an executive room you should consider Marina Palace as an option. Just keep in mind it will not wow you.

Room Tip: Executive (refurbished) definitely! Ocean view - side or front. Floors 8 & up will give you nice...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cadi C
Hoteis_Marina_BR, Gerente de relações com clientes at Hotel Marina Palace Rio Leblon, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sending us your comments. It is amazing to know that you've got a wonderful time with us. It is our constant effort to improve our services and provide the best assistance to our guest and clients.

We are pleased to inform you that we will go through new renovations in all rooms and facilities. We will be glad to welcome you again in Marina Palace.

Worcester MA
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I arrived at the Hotel by 10am and was told check in wasn't until 2pm. I was given the 24th floor of the building that afforded me an excellent view of Leblon and Ipanema. The furniture was actually modern and nice. The bed was massive and comfortable and the shower hot and strong. The rooftop terrace was a nice touch. Yes the pool small is but didn't really matter since beach is right across the street from Hotel. The wifi is free on the first two floors but they charge you to have it used in the room which I think is outrageous. Buses run right across the street that can take you to Copacabana the sugarloaf and Corcovado among other locations in the city. It's the best way to get around and the most harrowing since the drivers seem to be out for blood disregarding pedestrian life. Two blocks from Carlos Gois is the Zona Sul supermarket where you can buy breakfast foods drinks and alcohol. I never tried breakfast since it was pricey as most things are in this part of town. I would avoid at all costs from using your debit card around this area since I suffered a scam and quite a bit of money in the process. My bank is investigating the fraud. The beach was clean and during the weekday peaceful and not touristy. A long walk west towards the vidigal favela will reward you with a different feel of the city. If your brave enough walk around the shantytown and experience the differences of class and wealth. It's a great location for beach lovers. I myself next time around will stay in a hostel at the Favelas of Rochina. You experience the real Brazil and meet the most friendliest of folks. Plus they're some great restaurants and cheap eats that will drive your pallet crazy with delight.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such amazing comments about your stay at Marina Palace.

We are also very enthusiastic about our location, a few steps from the best area at Leblon beach and to a great selection of shops, restaurants and also close to the favelas, where you can experience the different side of Brazil.

I am deeply sorry about what happened to your card, I experienced that myself in Europe once ago and I know the feeling. I hope everything went well after that. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again at Marina Palace.