“A solid 4-star hotel”
Review of Mar Ipanema Hotel

Mar Ipanema Hotel
Ranked #82 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I stayed here for three nights in Feb, and found that it was just as described by other reviewers -- great location, cozy, clean rooms and friendly staff.

If you stay, be sure to get up early and go for a walk on the praia next to Ipanema beach, where half of the city can be found running, jogging, skateboarding, etc. It's a great way to start the day before the sun gets too strong.

Room Tip: Take a high floor as the windows are not double-glazed.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2012

Dear guest,

I would like to start by thanking you for such a great review about Mar Ipanema Hotel! I am very glad that you had a great time in Rio and at our property. I loved your tip on taking a walk on the beach early in the morning. I do that myself sometimes, and always drink a coconut water before going to work. It is revigorating! Another great tip is to rent a bike and ride all through Ipanema and Leblon beaches. The front desk staff can help guests in hiring bikes.

Thank you so much for your comments, as they will certainly help many other guests on their trips to Rio!

I wish you all the best and hope you can stay with us again very soon!

There are newer reviews for Mar Ipanema Hotel

Reviewed February 6, 2012

We stayed at the Mar Ipanema for 5 nights in January 2012. The rooms are well appointed and modern. The hotel is located 2 blocks back from Ipanema beach in the centre of Ipanema. The breakfast is plentiful and excellent and the staff on the front desk are very helpful - they booked restaurants, arranged bike hire and provided beach towels. We would definitely stay at the Mar Ipanema on return visits to Rio.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NeilC5

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your candid comments. I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, as well as our service.
I would like inform other future guests reading this review that the hotel rents bicycles for a small fee and we lend beach towels, chairs and umbrellas for free, so that our guests can save up to R$15/day.
Be sure to ask for them at the fronk desk.
I would like to thank you again for your review!

Reviewed February 6, 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Mar Ipanema for 7 nights at the end of January. Here is our review by category:

Location - The hotel is in Ipanema, near the beginning of Leblon. As two young women, we felt very safe here and would often walk around to bars and restaurants quite late at night and never felt in danger. There were always people around, especially in Leblon with it's many cafes and restaurants. The hotel is on the main shopping street in Ipanema, so a great location for people who want to shop. Leblon is within a 10-15 minute walk and has some great malls, street shopping and the best fine-dining restaurants in Rio. Hotel is a short 2 block walk to Ipanema beach.

Hotel Amenities - Rooms are very modern, clean and had wood floors which we appreciated. We stayed in a superior room which was just spacious enough for us to be comfortable. No view of the beach from the hotel, no pool and no gym. Not many English channels - 3 channels or so, but my guess is you won't spend your vacation in Rio watching TV. Pillows were only feather, so lacked some support. You may be able to request for firmer non-feather pillows. The hotel is a great place if you are looking for a nice clean place in Ipanema and don't need the extra bells and whistles. Also, the hotel provides towels, beach chairs and an umbrella for free when you go to the beach which was nice.

Service - Front desk and housekeeping were excellent. Very prompt and helpful. The people at reception speak English well and often went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable, safe and well-informed on things to do in Rio.

Breakfast - Was decent. Fresh fruit juices, fruit, bread, cold cuts, cheese, pastries, cereal and coffee/tea. You have breakfast in the adjoining restaurant called Devassa and it can get quite crowded as the place is not very big. Sometimes you need to wait in line to get a table. Breakfast closes at 10AM, but they usually leave the food out till 10:30 or so.

Overall, we had a very nice stay here. Great location and service. Highly recommended if you are looking for a medium-range hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CarmenSandiego1985

Dear guest,

Wow!! Your review is so complete that I have absolutely nothing to add! I would just like to thank you very much for taking the time to write it. The reviews posted on Trip Advisor are of great help to tourists planning their trips, and we really appreciate it!
I sincerely hope that you can come back to Rio soon and stay with us again!

Reviewed January 31, 2012

This hotel was very good. The rooms were clean and spacious. The bathroom was clean, and the beds were comfortable and felt modern.
Additionally, the staff and the location are really great. For location, it is located just a block or two away from Ipanema beach. It's an easy walk to one of the best beaches in Rio. In the other direction, it is just about three blocks from the Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, a very beautiful lake. So it's really a prime location.
And the staff is friendly and helpful. They have tours that they can organize for you, and if you don't want to take one of their tours they will help you with whatever activity you want to do. So if you want to visit a Samba School, go hang gliding, or go to the Christ statue, they will make recommendations and often summon transportation/help schedule for you.
I had a good experience here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Peter M

Dear guest,

Seems like you had a very nice time at Rio de Janeiro! I am very glad to know that our staff helped you in providing this great experience. Besides our location, which is fantastic indeed, another very nice activity to do (if you are brave enough) is hang gliding. You jump off an amazing cliff, fly over the city forest and land on the beach, it doesn´t get better than that! I am so glad that you were able to experience it! We definitely reccomend this tour to everyone!

Thank you so much for your contribution, which will certainly help other guests coming to Rio!

I hope you can stay with us on a future trip to the city.

Reviewed January 31, 2012

The Mar Ipanema is a well located hotel, it is clean, it has good facilities and good services, also professional people.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A?C unit noise
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel for your trip to Rio de Janeiro!
Thank you very much for your kind comments about our property, we do apprecciate it.
I hope you can come back to visit us very soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed January 30, 2012

This hotel is exactly what it needs to be: a place to rest your head.
Our room faced the street, and we experienced a little noise, but that is to be expected.
The room was not large, nor did it need to be. The bathroom was clean, the air conditioning worked VERY well (don't turn the temperature down too much!).
I think there was only one issue I had, and I don't really think it can be changed: the size and use of space in the breakfast room. In fact, outside of breakfast times, the room is a fully operating, and busy restaurant. The breakfast buffet is located inside, and it's a bit of a squeeze for room, especially towards closing time.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you might want to request a room NOT on the street side.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Moostro

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel!
Completing your comments, I would like to add that all of our air conditioners are split, therefore much more slient than the regular ones.
As you mentioned, unfortunately, there is nothing we could do about the restaurant space. Besides serving our breakfast, Armazém Devassa stays open from 6 AM to the last client, so it is indeed very busy.
Again, thank you so much for your feedback!

Reviewed January 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during New Year's week. The location is fantastic, in the middle of a very safe and upscale neighborhood. You can walk to the beach, lagoa, stores, restaurant and Leblon shopping mall. The rooms are very small though and the breakfast room is rather small considering this is a big hotel. The staff is very helpful and nice. They gave good recommendations and arranged for transportation when needed. Overall, this is a good value for the price but is not a luxurious place.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ignatmd
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel to stay at for New Years! This is a very important and traditional date in the Brazilian calender, and I am glad you were able to celebrate it with us! In fact, Rio´s New Years party was just elected as the Best Party in the World by the World Travel Guide.
I am also very glad that you liked and enjoyed our prime location. Mar Ipanema Hotel is located at the fanciest corner in Rio, in an area known by locals as "the Charm Quarter". Within a few steps from the hotel you will find the best shops, restaurants, bars in the city, as well as supermarkets, drug stores, and banks, which makes it very convenient for our guests.
Concerning the size of our rooms, I would like to point out that the room sizes are informed on our website, and the restaurant seats 100 people, which I believe is appopriate for a 86 room property as ours. I hope you enjoyed our restaurant Armazém Devassa as well, which opens at 6AM for breakfast and closes after the last client.
Again, I am truly grateful for your review and hope that you can stay with us again on a future visit to Rio de Janeiro!