“Comfortable Choice in Expensive Rio”
Review of Mar Ipanema Hotel

Mar Ipanema Hotel
Ranked #81 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed January 25, 2012

As I researched hotel options in Rio I read the reviews of the Mar Ipanema hotel and emailed the manager with several questions. Her responses were timely, clear, and very helpful.
We decided to book a deluxe room that was larger than their standard room. The room was big enough for the 2 of us and the bathroom and glass shower had a very modern appeal.

Although it’s a small hotel, many at the front desk spoke English and were very helpful. The complimentary breakfast next door at Devassa was amazing and included many Brazilian treats, as well as hot items and fresh fruit. The mini lime tarts topped with meringue were out of this world.

It’s a rare thing indeed when a hotel manager takes the time to respond to many comments, whether they are positive or negative. I found Amanda Abreu to be a proactive manager with excellent follow through online and at the hotel. It was my birthday, and she made sure that a South American red wine with 2 “red wine” glasses greeted us when we entered the room. Obrigada Amanda!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Dear Ms. Wristen,

Thank you so much for your review. I felt very honored when you first wrote me telling that you were coming to South America to celebrate your birthday, and that you chose Mar Ipanema Hotel to stay at for this very important occasion.
I am very glad you enjoyed the wine! I am a big fan of a bold Malbec (Argentinean wine), and since your trip was to visit South America, I thought you would enjoy it. Thank you very much for your compliments, I really appreciate it.
On behalf of all our staff I would like to thank you very much for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel, and we hope you can come celebrate many other birthdays with us!

Best wishes,

Reviewed January 23, 2012

Paid nearly €200 a night for a superior room in what is a very average 3 star hotel. The location is great (two blocks from Ipanema beach), the staff are friendly (and speak great English) and the room was clean and nicely decorated. But the bedroom and bed was tiny (they're all tiny - we witnessed a mammoth row between staff and tour group members who refused to stay in such small beds, problem was there were no bigger ones to give them), the breakfast was well below par, there are no amenities, no bottled water, the air conditioning sounded like there was a truck in the room and poor bathroom products. We also got not one but two phone calls at half past midnight asking if we could return wine glasses we had sent to room - woke both of us up both times. I've no doubt this is one of the better (and, hard to believe, cheaper) options in Rio - it's by far the worst value city for hotels we've ever stayed in (including Paris, London & NY). But is Rio really that good? I'm not so sure....
PS A couple of tips if you do choose Mar Ipanema -
the number one restaurant on Tripadvisor at the time of writing (Market) is literally one minute walk from the front door. It was wonderful for a romantic and good value (relatively speaking to Rio's sky high prices) meal.
Also, there's a stop for a bus (number 511) that goes straight to the Sugar Loaf 30 metres from hotel. We realised later that there's a bus that goes directly to Corcovado (Christ statue) from same stop but had already gone return by taxi before we found out. The bus was very safe during the day but would maybe be a little wary after dark.

Room Tip: We had a room on top floor (11th) and it was a good distance from the very noisy street. But I thin...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank acdublin1980
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location as well as staff.
I feel the need to clarify some issues that you addressed. Concerning the size of the rooms, the size of each particular room category is informed on our website. The problem with the group you mentioned, had nothing to do with the size of the rooms, their travel agency booked the wrong hotel for their trip, and we did the best we could to accomodate them.
About the bottled waters, there are minibars in every room, stocked with 6 bottles of water (still and sparkling), sodas, beer, chocolate milk, crisps, candy, crackers and chips. All of our minibars are located right in front of the bed, I am sorry you missed it.
Our bathroom amenties are from a local natural brand called OX, and with tropical fruit aromas. This is a very nice brand in Brazil, and we like to value our culture by offering local products instead of standard hotel amenities.
About the calls to your room to pick up the wine glasses, rest assured that I will forward this comment to the restaurant´s manager, so that she can check what happened that night.
About the noise of the airconditioner, since the airconditioner equipments on the 11th floor are split silent airconditioners, I cannot understand how they could be noisy. I had our maintenance department check all rooms on that floor,and all of them were working just fine, silent as they should be.
I also like Market restaurant a lot! They serve very fresh food for a very reasonable price, and it is very close to our hotel. We always recommend it to our guests. I am glad you liked it!
Concerning your opinion about Rio de Janeiro, I have to say that I am very surprised about your comments, and I have to say it is the first time I hear someone who didn´t feel Rio was good enough.
I hope you can come back to Rio, and maybe with some planning, I am sure you will enjoy our beautiful and acclaimed city much more.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

TripAdvisor once again was a lifesaver in helping me choose this hotel as there are many bad hotels in Rio. This one is clean and safe and exceptionally well located in Ipanema. Hotels in Rio are very expensive compared to most other places, but comparatively this was not over priced.

I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. The staff were very helpful - I accidentally brought the wrong power converter and the man at the desk let me borrow his personal one for several days. They offer free umbrellas, chairs and towels to take down to the beach (about 2 blocks). Fantastic!

And after sitting in the sun for the day, I liked sitting outside in the adjoining brewpub/restaurant and having a beer and people watching. This restaurant is quite popular with the locals at night. The food was decent as was the mornings breakfast which are also served there.

Ipanema is an upscale and safe area, my Brazillian friends in the USA recommended I stay there rather than Copacabana and they were very right. The beaches are cleaner and the atmosphere just feels much more secure.

There is a grocery about a block away. The Girl from Ipanema walked to the beach just a couple streets over from here. Enjoy your time in wonderful Ipanema!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank sfchris
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review! Seems you had a really nice time during your stay at Mar Ipanema Hotel! I have to agree with you about our location: it is unbeatable!

I am also very pleased that our staff was able to help you with your power converter, and lending the beach equipment. Renting beach chairs, towels and umbrellas at the beach can cost around R$15/day; while the hotel lends it all for free!

I would also like to remind that we offer complimentary wireless internet connection.

Sitting outisde of our restaurant, Armazém Devassa, for a cold beer after the beach is a something that I usually recommend to all of our guests. This is a typical "carioca" hobby, and I am very glad you had the chance to experience it.

Again, I can´t thank you enough for your review and for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel to stay on your trip to Rio de Janeiro. I hope you can come back soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Great location in Ipanema; friendly staff; nice clean rooms. An excellent choice.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Mar Ipanema Hotel. Your evaluation is very much appreciated.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel for your next stay in Rio de Janeiro, may I take this opportunity to thank you again for your remarks.

Best wishes,

Reviewed January 17, 2012

This hotel, on Ipanema beach, the most wonderful place on the entire world, is perfect for you to stay and enjoy Rio!!!! Nearby the beach, good shopping places around, great places to visit and eat earby! It is a must go.

Room Tip: The highest the better, for a better view!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Luizasch
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your amazing review!

I have to say that, personally, Ipanema is also my favorite spot in the world. Beautiful people, summer all year round, amazing beach, fashionable shops and restaurants, trendy bars...this is a nice summary of what Ipanema is all about.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

I hope you can come visit us many times more. You will be always welcome at Mar Ipanema Hotel!

Thank you very much again!

Reviewed January 14, 2012

This hotel is located in a busy, safe area, 2 blocks from the beach with lots of stores, restaurants close by. The room was a little small, but with all the amenities needed. The reception staff was very helpful, all spoke english very well. They allowed us to check out, but kept our luggage until we left for the airport that night. The breakfast was also very good, with lots of fresh fruits and local foods. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Dear guest,

First of all, thank you very much for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel to stay on your trip to Rio de Janeiro. It makes us very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Definitely, the hotel is located at a very trendy spot, close to many shops, restaurants and other convenient venues such as banks, drug stores, markets, all being very close to Ipanema´s beach as well.

We can´t wait to have you back in Rio and at Mar Ipanema Hotel. It will be a pleasure to have you stay with us again. Thanks again for your comments!

All the best,

Reviewed January 13, 2012

A friend and I stayed at Mar Ipanema over New Year's Eve. The room was small but serviceable with few frills, but met all needs. I often felt that even with only 2 people, we generated enough clutter during the day such that coming back to a fully cleaned hotel room was a breath of fresh air - that was how small the rooms are - even a little mess would make a huge difference. But we're not expecting the Four Seasons. Beds were two twin beds and they looked similar to what you'd find in a 2 or 3 star, or even a nicely appointed hostel. My first thought was that one of our mutual friends who is very accustomed to staying in 5-star hotels (think Mandarin or Four Seasons) would not be OK with this hotel room at all. But I have done my time traveling in the grimiest of hostels so it was completely fine by me.

Also, do NOT think you can squeeze 3 people in a 2 person room like you can with some hotels. 3 people just cannot fit into a 2-person room.

Free wifi in rooms is a major plus, and it worked all the time and quite quickly. For a traveler who often has to do work wherever she is, this prevents me from incurring major roaming charges. Breakfasts at Devassa were plentiful but were more "quantity" than "quality", but that's a matter of personal taste, and the fresh squeezed fruit juices were a good touch.

The staff at the front desk were extremely helpful and spoke good English. They helped us organize tours and recommended good restaurants for us.

LOCATION is the main selling point of this hotel. It is 2 blocks from Ipanema Beach (nice 5-mile jog back and forth along the beach and back again to the hotel). Walking distance to Zaza Bistro, which is in our opinion the best restaurant that we ate at in Rio. The Ipanema shops were all excellent and within walking distance. We were also able to walk to and from Copacabana beach, which is a must during Reveillon.

PRICE: We stayed over NYE so the costs were majorly inflated - up to 4 times the price for the night of the 31st to the 1st - but the same is true anywhere in Rio, and this place was by far one of the more reasonable that I saw once you consider everything including location and free WiFi/breakfasts.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who isn't super high maintenance about the kind of hotel they stay in. If someone is used to solid, serviceable 3-stars (think Ibis), they will be completely satisfied with this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

I cannot thank you enough for such a complete feedback and review about our hotel!

Concerning the size of the rooms, we have very few triple rooms, and you are absolutely right about a third person not fitting the double rooms. Unfortunately, very few hotels in Brazil and Europe offer twin rooms with two double beds. This is truly the style of American hospitality culture, and given the size of our rooms it is something that we really cannot afford to offer, I´m sorry to say.

I am very glad you enjoyed our complimentary wireless connection. We like to think that when a guest is on vacations they would like to communicate with friends and family back home, share photos, and tell people about their trip to Rio. That is why we think it is very important not to charge for it. Not to mention our corporate guests who need connection to be able to work while on their business trips. Also, I would like to inform that the Mar Ipanema Hotel is the only hotel in the Ipanema neighborhood to offer it for free.

New Year´s Eve is indeed one of the busiest times of the year, and since it is considered the Best Réveillon (NYE) party of the world by the World Travel Guide, prices tend to be much higher than during the year. However, I am so glad you spent this magical moment with us!

I hope you guys had a lot of fun, and I truly wish that you can come back very soon!

Thanks again for your review and recommending Mar Ipanema Hotel.

Have a great 2012!