$258
JW Marriott
$166
  • Pool
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$96
  • Pool
Arena Copacabana Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$92
  • Pool
PortoBay Rio Internacional Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$150
$112
  • Pool
Miramar Hotel by Windsor(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
$122
$102
$180
$217
Sofitel
$563
  • Beachfront
Belmond Copacabana Palace(Rio de Janeiro)
$485
1,289 results
All reviewsdevassa restaurantattached restaurantgreat locationstreet noisefew blocksspoke good englishrooftop barbreakfast is servedhigher floorfelt very safechrist the redeemeripanemaumbrellasbrazilneighborhoodclosetmetro
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Great location in Ipanema; friendly staff; nice clean rooms. An excellent choice.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2012

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Mar Ipanema Hotel. Your evaluation is very much appreciated.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel for your next stay in Rio de Janeiro, may I take this opportunity to thank you again for your remarks.

Best wishes,

Reviewed January 17, 2012

This hotel, on Ipanema beach, the most wonderful place on the entire world, is perfect for you to stay and enjoy Rio!!!! Nearby the beach, good shopping places around, great places to visit and eat earby! It is a must go.

Room Tip: The highest the better, for a better view!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Luizasch
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your amazing review!

I have to say that, personally, Ipanema is also my favorite spot in the world. Beautiful people, summer all year round, amazing beach, fashionable shops and restaurants, trendy bars...this is a nice summary of what Ipanema is all about.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

I hope you can come visit us many times more. You will be always welcome at Mar Ipanema Hotel!

Thank you very much again!

Reviewed January 14, 2012

This hotel is located in a busy, safe area, 2 blocks from the beach with lots of stores, restaurants close by. The room was a little small, but with all the amenities needed. The reception staff was very helpful, all spoke english very well. They allowed us to check out, but kept our luggage until we left for the airport that night. The breakfast was also very good, with lots of fresh fruits and local foods. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Dear guest,

First of all, thank you very much for choosing Mar Ipanema Hotel to stay on your trip to Rio de Janeiro. It makes us very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Definitely, the hotel is located at a very trendy spot, close to many shops, restaurants and other convenient venues such as banks, drug stores, markets, all being very close to Ipanema´s beach as well.

We can´t wait to have you back in Rio and at Mar Ipanema Hotel. It will be a pleasure to have you stay with us again. Thanks again for your comments!

All the best,

Reviewed January 13, 2012

A friend and I stayed at Mar Ipanema over New Year's Eve. The room was small but serviceable with few frills, but met all needs. I often felt that even with only 2 people, we generated enough clutter during the day such that coming back to a fully cleaned hotel room was a breath of fresh air - that was how small the rooms are - even a little mess would make a huge difference. But we're not expecting the Four Seasons. Beds were two twin beds and they looked similar to what you'd find in a 2 or 3 star, or even a nicely appointed hostel. My first thought was that one of our mutual friends who is very accustomed to staying in 5-star hotels (think Mandarin or Four Seasons) would not be OK with this hotel room at all. But I have done my time traveling in the grimiest of hostels so it was completely fine by me.

Also, do NOT think you can squeeze 3 people in a 2 person room like you can with some hotels. 3 people just cannot fit into a 2-person room.

Free wifi in rooms is a major plus, and it worked all the time and quite quickly. For a traveler who often has to do work wherever she is, this prevents me from incurring major roaming charges. Breakfasts at Devassa were plentiful but were more "quantity" than "quality", but that's a matter of personal taste, and the fresh squeezed fruit juices were a good touch.

The staff at the front desk were extremely helpful and spoke good English. They helped us organize tours and recommended good restaurants for us.

LOCATION is the main selling point of this hotel. It is 2 blocks from Ipanema Beach (nice 5-mile jog back and forth along the beach and back again to the hotel). Walking distance to Zaza Bistro, which is in our opinion the best restaurant that we ate at in Rio. The Ipanema shops were all excellent and within walking distance. We were also able to walk to and from Copacabana beach, which is a must during Reveillon.

PRICE: We stayed over NYE so the costs were majorly inflated - up to 4 times the price for the night of the 31st to the 1st - but the same is true anywhere in Rio, and this place was by far one of the more reasonable that I saw once you consider everything including location and free WiFi/breakfasts.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who isn't super high maintenance about the kind of hotel they stay in. If someone is used to solid, serviceable 3-stars (think Ibis), they will be completely satisfied with this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

I cannot thank you enough for such a complete feedback and review about our hotel!

Concerning the size of the rooms, we have very few triple rooms, and you are absolutely right about a third person not fitting the double rooms. Unfortunately, very few hotels in Brazil and Europe offer twin rooms with two double beds. This is truly the style of American hospitality culture, and given the size of our rooms it is something that we really cannot afford to offer, I´m sorry to say.

I am very glad you enjoyed our complimentary wireless connection. We like to think that when a guest is on vacations they would like to communicate with friends and family back home, share photos, and tell people about their trip to Rio. That is why we think it is very important not to charge for it. Not to mention our corporate guests who need connection to be able to work while on their business trips. Also, I would like to inform that the Mar Ipanema Hotel is the only hotel in the Ipanema neighborhood to offer it for free.

New Year´s Eve is indeed one of the busiest times of the year, and since it is considered the Best Réveillon (NYE) party of the world by the World Travel Guide, prices tend to be much higher than during the year. However, I am so glad you spent this magical moment with us!

I hope you guys had a lot of fun, and I truly wish that you can come back very soon!

Thanks again for your review and recommending Mar Ipanema Hotel.

Have a great 2012!

Reviewed January 4, 2012

Mar Ipanema Hotel is located in the heart of a busy and safe area, just two blocks from the eponym famous beach. Our room was ok with a nice bathroom, but with a single glass window, noise from the street was very annoying. Restaurant Devassa is a nice place where we had a good breakfast, and also had a couple of drinks later in the evening.
At the end of our stay, we had a midnight flight. We asked for a courtesy room to have a quick shower but the person on reception replied it wasn’t possible, like it was the first time he faced such a request … With little improvements, this hotel could become a good value.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
AmandaAbreu, Manager at Mar Ipanema Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for staying at Mar Ipanema Hotel!

I am sorry that we could not offer you a room, or a late check out, since it is a very busy time of the year here in Rio (summer season) as you can imagine. Normally if a person wishes to stay until 6PM, and if there is availability, we can offer the room for a late check out fee. However, for the period you stayed with us there were not rooms available so that we could offer this option.

I hope you enjoyed your stay other than that, and wish you can come back to visit us soon.

Best wishes,