“Still a lot to improve”

Ranked #68 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Aalborg, Denmark
“Still a lot to improve”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is classified as a 4-star superior hotel.

I believe that, compared to previous reviews, rooms have been finally renovated, so furniture and appearance are good. No complaints. What was NOT renovated, though, is the windows, maybe because Brazilians are used to a high level of noise: people are loud, traffic is loud, ... I've been staying both at the 6th and 15th floor, and the noise from outside was for me unbearable (I'm a light sleeper, though).

Also, BOTH rooms were afflicted by tiny ants (and my colleague confirmed he had the same problem in his room). Now, although I personally don't care about a few ants around, we all know what happens if the tiniest amount of food is left unchecked with them around: they actually managed to enter into the blister of my sugar-coated pills! Plus, ants, in a ****-superior hotel?? At the 15th floor??

Staff at reception barely friendly.

One morning, I told the cleaning lady to delay her service by just an hour, but she never came back, so room was left undone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
BryanBarreto, Front Desk at Golden Tulip Rio Leme, responded to this review, September 15, 2016

It was a great pleasure having you with us !
We would like to inform you that our hotel had a renovation and we have modern and comfortable apartments .

Front Desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Greek first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Terrible room.. dark, dirty and ugly. bathroom reminded me of a slum, with a dirty sensation.
I couldn't sleep in that place and paid for an upgrade.
This second room was classified as 2 levels above the first, and still was bad. At midnight another guest, somehow opened my room's door. The reception did his check-in into the same room as mine!
That was absolutely awful! When I rang the reception the said "Ops.. sorry". For God's sake...

2 Thank 778James

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

just not a good safe place unfriendly employees and dirty all over old hotel to bad location is good ps spent there 15days are not very safe either an no transportation you're better off at the sheraton down the street just a little better.

Room Tip: all rooms are bad
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank igr2271

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

An amazing hotel. Perfectly situated, within walking distance to Copacabana beach. Stunning views of the beach especially from the pool area which is situated on the 24th floor (I think). Buffet breakfasts were amazing with much to chose from, staff were warm & friendly. Hotel rooms were good however the "ceiling" of our bathroom was a mesh ceiling and I expected something to come crawling or slithering out of that dark space! Staff were very professional, helpful with relatively good English.

Room Tip: The higher up your are the better the views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chalan Africa T... C

Antwerp
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

the entrance lobby to the hotel is nice .. and that is it.

i had a deluxe room - the best category possible. the furniture was old and not stable. the cupboards hardly openend - the glass was single glazing. the AC was noisy - the shower. there ws NO WATER pressure whatsoever.

the breakfast was crowded - dirty tables and the nothing appealing.

The only plus point was the rooftop pool where i had lunch the burger was good but took an agonizing 30 minutes to arrive.

1 Thank ddecourcy

sunderland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Hotels in Rio are expensive, this one balances comfort and cost pretty well. Its not the nicest, but for the money, my view its the best you can buy in Rio.

The have rubbish collection at around 4:30am every morning, if you are a light sleeper ask for a room up high, or at the back.

1 Thank Gareth W

Manchester, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during the LAAD Expo in April 2013. Hotel rates generally climb during big events, and rates at western hotel chains were outrageous. Rates at most Brazilian hotels were also quite high. Golden Tulip Continental provided a very affordable rate, which is the primary reason that I booked the hotel. My stay here was a mixed bag. I booked a standard room with a double bed. I arrived early and the hotel assigned me a room with two twin beds on the 15 floor looking out on the street.

The room itself was not bad. With a trade show to attend and the attractions of Rio outside my door, I did not spend a lot of time in my room. The room was clean, and the work desk allowed me to get some work done. The bathroom was clean and had plenty of hot water. On a negative note, the walls must be paper thin because I heard every noise whether coming from another room or hallway or coming from outside. I was 15 floors up, and I could hear delivery trucks and honking cars very loudly in my room with my windows closed and curtains drawn. Nothing seemed to keep the noise out. In addition, the internet access is terrible. My stay included breakfast and complimentary internet access. The hotel offers free internet and a paid internet service. I did not try the paid service, but the free service was not only slow but terribly unreliable. The internet kept dropping out.

On a positive note, the breakfast buffet was very good. They had plenty of fresh fruit, breads, and scrambled and boiled eggs. I am not sure why, but their scrambled eggs had the consistency of soup. I don't want my eggs cooked so hard that they taste like rubber, but these eggs simply were not done. I had a similar problem with the boiled eggs. Some of them were barely cooked with not only runny yolks but also runny whites. If you like raw eggs, this is the place for you. Otherwise, I would stay away from the eggs and enjoy the other breakfast items.

This hotel attracted me because of its price. If necessary, I would stay here again without hesitation. At the same time, this would not be my first choice. If I could find another hotel in a similar price range, I would probably try out the other hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the street.