“This location was great! It is literally a single (very small) block from the beach & restaurants in walking distance.”
Review of Ipanema Inn

Ipanema Inn
Ranked #11 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed June 1, 2012

If you are looking for a basic, safe place to stay with quick/free wireless internet (really), this is a very good choice. At first, the room they gave me was not great as they had some major improvements going on. I asked to change rooms, which they did without hesitation, and my new room was very good. I decided to turn on the A/C as it was still warmer at night than I would prefer to sleep. It worked just fine, but the moisture leaked onto the floor. I let them know and the next day, I had a new A/C unit in the room. So, they were very responsive to any issues. The one thing that I wanted and could not get was an iron and ironing board. I tried every way, but they would prefer to charge $40 to iron your shirt rather than let you iron it. So, I just had more wrinkled shirts than usual. Due to the high humidity, the wrinkles didn't stay for too long. The section of the beach where this hotel is located is one of the best in Rio. The security is good here as later at night they litterally lock the front door and only unlock for guests. The bed, sheets, towels, etc. were just OK, but all clean. Did not see any bugs, dirt, etc. anywhere. The shower was very good! I would definitely stay here again. Again, if you are looking for a "really nice" place to stay, this is not it. The room did have a wall mounted LCD TV, 110 and 220 power outlets (including USA connection), included the usual shampoo/conditioner/soap/shower-cap that you would expect (bring your own lotion). The room included breakfast, but I did not try it. There are even two computers in the lobby with internet access. So, if you don't bring your own, you can still get online for free. Enjoy! Tchau.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank MrJaz
Ringo_br, Manager at Ipanema Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review about our hotel.
I am extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed our privileged location and the swift response of our staff., which is due to the training recently undergone. In fact, we upgraded our internet server, so I am glad that you experienced the complimentary high speed wi-fi.
I would like to inform you that the cost for ironing a shirt is USD 6, so there must have been some misunderstanding.

I look forward to personally welcoming you in your next trip to Rio de Janeiro. Our reservations office is informed and I will myself take care of your service.

Kindest regards,

Daniel Gorin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,477)

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Small room but great staff and breakfast. Also excellent location. Weird ending after my bill was printed they stamped the bill with a 10% cover it. As it was I was charged service fee which they would only accept in R cash. I was on business and the charge is not unreasonable but if it was part of the bill or on a cc I could recovered it as part of my expenses. As it was I was left a bit short of Reals.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank sbsElPasoUSA
Daniel G, Manager at Ipanema Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your stay with us.

We hope you can be back at IPANEMA INN soon, in order to experience one of our modernised apartments. Our breakfast has been receiving many compliments, so I hope you can experience it as well.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Excellent Location:

One block from Ipanema beach, and close to some very good restaurants such as Zaza Bistro and the Garota de Ipanema. Walk 4-5 blocks west and you are in the trendy neighbourhood of Leblon, with its patio cafe's and people with fluffy foo-foo dogs. Keep your eyes open if you are walking 4-6 blocks to the east at night unless you are with a crowd. Lots of cab traffic out at the corner - so one never waits long for one. A safer location than Copacabana in general and the beach is wa-ay better.

Positive Aspects:

Breakfast has a fair selection, and the fruits are fresh. I like the stuff that is hard to get otherwise such as fresh caju juice and fresh mangoes. They also have cakes, breads, pastries and sweets and pao com queso and scrambled eggs and sausage and the like. Their coffee is pretty good.

Wifi works and is included.

Room was kept clean and was average sized for Rio and had a safe box.

Minibar had cold drinks and beer waiting for you upon arrival and was not outrageously priced - for a minibar.

Most of the staff were helpful, friendly and a little shy - a welcome surprise for an hotel near any beach in Rio.

Rough Patches:

Two most senior staff at front desk were at times unfriendly and dismissive.. The worst part is that there is an irksome "TAX" presented at the very end which is made up to look very official using a stamp and some gruff tones - but actually it is a voluntary tip that they suggest you leave for the hotel. For a week the "TAX" they stamped on the invoice was ~ 180R$ and must be paid ( of course ) in cash! After calling them out on this and being clear on my rights he backpedaled immediately and admitted that it is purely voluntary and I wound up giving them a fraction of it as they were keeping my bags for the afternoon and I did not want to risk any surprises from a disgruntled person. Whether any of this "TAX/TIP" actually made it to the honest hard-working people sweeping floors, making beds and cooking breakfast is left to one's imagination. Best to give small tips to the actual workers instead of the guy in a suit behind the desk. This "TAX" element has been presented to me before in other hotels in Rio and before I knew my rights I just paid it dutifully and dumbly. Please know that *You actually have a choice as to how much of it you would like to pay!*

Furniture was not very nice - pretty dinged up and not horribly functional and dowdy. Walls were a little thin sound-wise. Bar across the street ( on North Side ) is very noisy - even on some weeknights. Window AC worked well but was a little loud and I needed to step up on a chair to operate it.

Overall:

If the amenities are really not as important as the location for you - this is a fine choice and decent value.

Room Tip: There are no direct beach views, but still try to face south or away from the pub across the street...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank TBone_CA

Reviewed March 28, 2012

As it was said before, it's expensive, but not if you compare with other hotels in the area, it's located one half block from the beach, the staff is OK. ( Look for Almir , a guest assistant, he's great, extremely helpful and nice ), breakfast is good, clean rooms, quiet and unlike other and fancier hotels, it doesn't charge you for every single thing you need.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alex L

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Just two blocks from the Ipanema beach and very close to many shops and restaurants. They have great wifi that's free. The rooms are tin, but relatively clean. It's a place to lay your head for the price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during Carnival 2012 and was very impressed. The location is two blocks from the beach and the service was great. I asked for a roll away bed and received it within an hour with no additional charge. Access to the internet is easy and painless in the lobby. The staff caters to any request you have and are very knowledgeable. For the price, you get above and beyond what you could ask for.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank msufan7

Reviewed February 15, 2012

Given it's price, you could say the hotel is OK. Rooms are very small (at least those ending with 6) but very clean. Frontdesk staff is very kind.

Breakfast is OK also - if you don't have too much expectations.

Recommended if you just want a clean place to sleep without paying too much.

Location is quite good - a very quiet neighbourhood and a few meters from the beach.

Room Tip: There is only one elevator so take a room in the lower floors (anyway there is no view at all from t...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business