“ups and downs”

Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel
Ranked #63 of 281 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
“ups and downs”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Of course it's really expensive but let's say that's the price for Rio (even if it's much higher than Paris for example).
Normally, even for half (or even fifth) the price I would give it a minimal rating but certainly around here you can do worse.

Room is ok, clean, plenty of toiletries. As others noticed it might get noisy (I don't care much because I use earplugs/ear-buds/headphones). For some reason there are also speakers on the hallways playing some music and that might get disturbing as well.

I'm taking out two stars from my review because they couldn't fix the (included/free) wired internet for two weeks. That was a big bummer as I was traveling for business. Of course I flagged this issue to the reception every other day and somebody came and played with the wires but never fixed anything (I can very well imagine it was the guy that fixes bulbs and showers and he has some mechanical tools, not network testing equipment, a laptop, etc but still no excuse).

Tip: there are 3 Windsor hotels, the Taxi will bring you most likely to Windsor Atlantica (high rise building just by the beach) which is NOT what you want (even if it is really close going by car back to "our" Windsor might take quite a few minutes - and dollars).

Tip 2: don't leave before going to the last floor - not for the pool, but for the views.

Room Tip: Try to chose high floors, lower floors is where the racket is usually.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your comments. Saving some of your time for this purpose will certainly make us a better hotel for you and for other travelers.
I`m really sorry for your internet trouble and I`ll check what happened with my staff as two weeks to solve a problem is not acceptable .If you can send me an e-mail with your room number it will make it easier to fix.
I also would like to put myself at your disposal not only to help you with any trouble but also if you need some assistance to organize your next trip to Rio.
Neube Brigagão

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Went to Carnival and stayed at this hotel.

Nothing to write home about really, but it was very affordable compared to the prices everywhere else. They offered a basic room with two beds looking out toward the street.

The rooms were old and a bit tattered. The roof top offers views that are very nice, and a pool. The bathroom was pretty good in size and although we didn't speak Portuguese the front desk did help us many times.

Good for a quick trip, but I would not book it if I was trying to make an impression or for an anniversary of any sort.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank DrLife
NeubeBrigagao, Gerente geral at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for choosing us for your carnival trip. In some ways your evaluation is correct as we are a hotel focused on business travelers. In the other hand we do have different rooms that can really cause an impression. Anyway, I'll be more than pleased to have the opportunity to show you all the options we have to offer in case you decide to visit us in another occasion.
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The price is high, but everything is good... breakfast, bedrooms, cleanliness, staff and mainly the location, in a very good point if you wanna enjoy the beach without take the car. I think for that price wi-fi should be free, but it's paid AND expensive. The view of my bedroom, what was not the cheapest one, was not so good, considering this hotel is in front to the beach.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CamilaMonroe
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your comments but I believe that you've stayed at the Windsor Atlântica as we are not located in front of the beach and we do not charge for internet.
Anyway, we are glad that you had a nice experience with the Windsor Chain.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel during Carnaval. Overall, we were satisfied with our stay but had an issue with the staff at the beach tent. I'll outline the good stuff first:

Front desk/lobby: The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. The lobby is bright, well kept and comfortable.

The room: we stayed in a room that had a little sitting area. The bathroom was well appointed except for a water stain in the shower. Loved the flat screen TV. The view was limited to buidings that were across the street. There was closet and a safe but no iron. You can borrow an iron for an hour but if you need it longer than that, the charge is 10 Reais per hour.

The rooftop: beautiful view of the mountains, limited view of the beach. The staff there was very slow in regard to taking orders.

The food: Breakfast was included with our room. The buffet was the same every day and had a good selection of breads, fruits and very fresh, wonderful juices. I would definitely get there early to avoid the crowd (and the food sitting out too long). The dinner buffet was atrocious. The food had been sitting out and there were flies circling. It was very lackluster. The food on the rooftop menu was pretty good. The drinks were nice and strong.

The beach: the beach is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. BEcause it was carnival, it was very crowded. Windsor has a tent on the beach where you can obtain umbrellas and towels (for free). This was where he had the issue with the scam. One morning, we went to the beach and were told by the staff there were no more umbrellas available but that we should rent an umbrella from a specific person who they introduced us to. HIs price was 25 reais. We were very suspicious of this and went to booth that was 10 feet away and were given a price of 5-10 reais depending on the size of the umbrella we were getting. We clearly decided to get the cheaper umbrella but then-POOF- as if by magic, an umbrella became available from the Winsor staff even though they had previously given this umbrella to someone who arrived at the beach AFTER my friend and I did . We were irritated but tried not to let it interfere with our beach time.

Rio in general: There are multiple buses that go past the hotel. The nearest metro stop is about a 10-15 minute walk and was very easy to navigate. We also took cabs which were pretty reasonably priced as well as used the "private cars" that the hotel front desk staff suggested. The front desk staff advised us to take the private cars stating that the service would be better, but I did not see a difference.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank s y
NeubeBrigagao, General Manager at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing the Windsor Plaza Hotel for your stay in Rio.
You brought up many issues and some of them concerned me a lot.
The beach service is not supposed to work the way you mentioned and I`ll be addressing this issue personally with my security staff.
As for the dinner buffet we are considering to work only with a la carte service at night to avoid this kind of situation.
Regarding the taxi service in Rio, unfortunately we can`t say that this is a 100% reliable service. We have adopted the private cars because, although they are a little more expensive, at least we can guarantee the service to the guest. We know that the majority of the yellow taxis are secure but based on past experiences (mainly with foreigners) we do recommend the use private cars.
Anyway, I am glad that the overall experience with the hotel was good and I thank you for your comments as they will help us a lot. Be certain to find the mentioned issues solved on your next visit.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was a very satisfying experience staying at this hotel at the start of our 5 day trek into the Brazilian Rainforest after a long flight from the u.k.to Rio .,then an exhausting journey to the hotel in the rush from the airport , It was brillant to un pack and have a lovely invigorating shower with the soaps shampoos etc. in the shower room . Fully stocked drinks cabinet ,tv trouser press, in room plus safe . Roof top barbacue area as well as sun lounges and bar service . It was nice to be pampered before going on our trek a couple; of days later.
With a two minute walk to the beach there was the spectale of the famous beach in all its glory .and in the evening the wonderfull sunset ,and very pretty girls everwhere .john booth .

Room Tip: Higher rooms have more air conditioning noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
NeubeBrigagao, Gerente geral at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
I'm glad that you had a great time in South America (and in our hotel of course). I hope your description of it will motivate some more travelers to join this adventure.
We look forward to have you as our guest again in the future.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is a good hotel which I would consider meeting expectations for the location and price.
The rooms I had was clean and everything worked.
The staff was friendly and the breakfast was good.
Hotel is located 3 blocks from the beach with plenty of restaurants in the immidiate area.
In short everything as good, but do not expect any WOW factor.
One fly in the ointment - I asked for a late check-out since my flight was not until that evening, but no, that was denied.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Bencare
NeubeBrigagao, Gerente geral at Windsor Plaza Copacabana Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for choosing our hotel and for taking some of your time to help us with your comments.
Regarding the late check out issue, I would like to state the we do our best to attend our guests needs but we can't do that if it means that we will not be able to provide another guest with his contracted services. As the check in time is 2pm, if we are fully booked it makes it difficult (sometimes impossible) to provide a late check out. What we can and do is to store the bags (free service) and allow the guest to continue to use our facilities (pool, free internet etc.).
Anyway, We do hope that you understand our situation and I take this opportunity to put myself at your disposal for any further assistance you might need when traveling to Rio.
Santos, SP
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were picked up at the airport by the hotel´s courtesy minivan and after 10 mins arrived at the hotel. The reception and booking in was quick and easy. Our first stop was to the bar and swimming pool at the top......spotlessly clean and again good service. Breakfast to say the least was magnificent, clean and a choice beyond words. we were sorry to leave after 4 days and would highly recommend this as it is a 3 min walk from teh beach and buses and taxis easily available.

Room Tip: Book the hotel with your flight, we chose TAM.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your kind comments about our hotel and services.
I'm certain that these comments will be of great value for the tripadvisor users planning to come to Rio as they were for us.
We hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.