“Could have been very good......”

Windsor Florida Hotel
Ranked #36 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Mexico City
“Could have been very good......”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

The problem for my wife and I was that we actually booked into a different Windsor hotel (in the centre). We were told that other guests needed our rooms so we were transferred (the hotel ordered and paid for the taxi). When we got to the Florida, we had to wait 20 minutes to get served by an over worked reception area. The hotel then insisted we paid for our stay for 3 nights upfront and tried to charge us R300 (around 150 Stirling) too much before eventually agreeing the correct price we had booked on the internet. They then placed us in a twin bedroom as opposed to a double room that we had booked. This was not corrected for our entire stay, although they did 'create' a double bed by pushing the single beds together and placing a sheet to keep them together - 4 hours after we asked. The Florida was the only hotel of the 5 we stayed in within Brazil that charged for the internet - R24 each day (13 Stirling). It’s a shame as the rooms are quite good and the location allows easy travel around the city.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bluearmyMexicoCity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2011

We stayed here over the new year period as it was cheaper than the hotels nearer the action but it was very close to Catete metro and only 4 stops to Copacabana.

It was close to lots of shops, bars and restaurants, not posh expensive ones but real ones that the locals use - and we like that. It's just around the corenr to a nice little park with a couple of museums and only a short walk from Flamango Park and beach.

The breakfast was one of the best in our 3 month trip around South America with lots of choice. It was very busy but they never ran out of anything and were quick to serve coffee with a smile.

There is a swimming pool on the roof with views of the city. Unfortunately, a taller hotel has been built right next to this one which blocks the view of Christ the Redeemer.

The staff were very professional and friendly and it was a pleasure staying here.

My only real gripe is that you have to pay to use their wifi and it's not cheap either! I can't remember that last time I've had to do that.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kenl63
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I was in Rio for a few days and needed a hotel handy for Gloria. Windsor Florida fitted the bill. I've been before so I am a returning satisfied customer. There are better and pricier hotels on Copacabana but this is very convenient for Catete subway which takes you straight into business district (Gloria in my case). Flamenco beach is a short walk away and there are some decent and reasonable restaurants just around the corner. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Concierge staff are great on the door and always very helpful with taxis. The best rooms are very good and this would be my advice - stick to the best rooms, the standard rooms can be small and some are a bit run down .... but still clean so not the end of the world but not ideal. There is a pool on the roof with a gym adjacent. there is also a bar next to pool for drinks and snacks. The breakfast is standard fare, lots of fruit, yoghurt, cheese and ham, fresh and great quality - as much as you want. Scrambled eggs, beans and sausages are there if you want it. Waiters are attentive and ready with coffee - always very busy/popular. Evening meal tends to be repetitive but buffet is good quality and as it is usually quite busy it is fresh. I have used the restaurant two minutes away just along from subway on a few occasions (can't remember the name) but good food and reasonable price.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Woody56
Brown Summit, NC
Reviewed April 7, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights after finishing a 40 day cruise. The Hotel is located in the Flamenco area of the city. It is very convenient to shopping, restaurants and the Catete Metro stop is literally around the corner. Room was small but clean, it still was larger than our cabin on the ship. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet was included in the cost of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I have been to Rio on numerous occasions but have never stayed at this hotel until recently. The hotel is clean and modern. The staff are helpful, polite and have an excellent understanding of English. I stayed in this hotel for 3 weeks with my wife and had no reason to complain about anything. I travel around a lot and will be using this hotel again when I return to Rio next Year.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo
Reviewed February 26, 2010

There are lots of good things to say about this hotel. I was there during the very busy carnival period and it was packed. Even so the the staff ran the place with courtesy and efficiency - even with the enormous number of people passing through for breakfast. The room was clean, the shower was good, internet worked well enough. Overall you were made to feel very welcome. For Carnival it is extremely near to the Sambodrome where the main event takes place - though I hope you have more luck getting a taxi driver who charges an honest price on the way back than I did. Rio taxi drivers and how they treat "gringoes" as foreigners are known - there is a book to be written there. For the beaches this hotel is not so convenient. The only down side is the design of some of the rooms as pointed out in a previous reviews: the air conditioning can be located right beside the bed - in other words at head level. I am not sure how they can resolve that without a lot of expense. I wasn´t going to turn it off when the weather was exceptionally hot even for Rio - but I did leave with a very bad head cold! The staff were so nice I hate to even mention a negative point - and my thanks to them for such kind hospitality !

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank brazilwest12
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2009

This is actually a very nice hotel, it's clean and nicely presented, the breakfast buffet was good (comparitive to what you get in South America), there's a nice rooftop bur and patio, so we were very happy until it came time to lie down on the bed.
The airconditioning unit is place directly next to the pillow! so the air rushes directly into your face at an enormous rate (you aren't able to adjust the temp or the speed!!) making sleep impossible.
We ended up having to build a barrier with our bags just to get some relief from it but even then the noise continued to keep us awake.
We only stayed here for one night, and I couldn't recommend it which is a shame because the rest of it is pretty good, but you have to be able to sleep!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple