“Well located, but old”

Ranked #177 of 282 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Sao Paulo, SP
“Well located, but old”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed there for a week last July (I was in Rio for business). The hotel is very well located; the region is very nice, with lots of restaurants, shops, and very close to the beach. The room is spacious, but everything is dated, old, some things not even working well. The breakfast was good, served in a terrace with a very nice view, but nothing exceptional. For the price they charge, you can get a much better hotel in Rio.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've been there on feb 2013. Almost excellent location, good room. The staff on breakfast is good, reception staff looks tired. The young tall receptionist is not polite at all and even arrogant. I was a usual tourist, but i'm Head of Sales and Marketing at on of the best 4 star hotel in St.Petersburg. So i'm able to recognise the good staff and bad one. The young girl on reception who accommodate me on 22nd floor on arrival was sincerely welcoming, smiling and polite! I'm sorry - i dont remember her name - but she is really hotelier minded person. So, the room was sezed enough. The furniture and walls in bathroom was not the nice, but ok. But the ocean view from the room was just amazing! Even at rainy days!
breakfast area is spacious and has a great opportunity to see the 360 degree around area. Roof-top swimming pool looked small and tired, not fresh area. But ok in general.
Finally i had the bad expirirence on departure. I asked a late check-out (1-2 hours extra). Again the tall young receptionist confirmed availability, but it was strictly payable service 50% nightly rate. I spent 7 nights at their hotel and left a quite big amount. And they asked me to pay 50% even for 1 hour. I know this worldwide rule. But all the good guest oriented hotels around the world doesnt care about 1 hour extra for their 1week guest - they are always pleased to let the guest to stay one- hours free for the late flighted guests if rooms are available (as at this time). The same level good business hotel in Sao Paolo made it for me (+3 hours free) with the very sincere guest respectful smiles. So, learn profession from them.
*The room windows are very wide opening. Not safe. Take care.

If you are don't mind minused moments - hotel is good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank IgorRussian
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We spent three nights here while visiting for a conference. Our room on the 20th floor provided us with an excellent view of Ipanema Beach looking east; it also provided us with pleasant ocean sounds and breezes with our window open. Although the room was beginning to look a bit dated, it was quite sizable and more than met our needs. The breakfast in the rooftop restaurant each morning was outstanding; plenty of fresh fruits, juices, pastries, and prepared dishes. The view from the rooftop was equally outstanding; too bad the rooftop pool was closed for renovation. Although their is no fitness center, we did enjoy running along the path that parallels the beach. The wifi worked well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My experience wasn't bad, per se. The rooms are a decent size, the shower has decent pressure, their 360 degree restaurant has wonderful views, beach towels upon request, and reservation included breakfast... oh and its in a GREAT location.

The bad items: paper thin walls, an ant problem even though I was on the 10th floor, service ranged from excellent to very poor. Oh and the pool is under construction! Shouldn't we get a discount? They also offer car service to the airport, but it costs 15 real more than a cab... weird.

Morning of my checkout I needed to print boarding passes. I waited in line. And waited. And waited. Meanwhile Maria Emilia (one of the hotel staff) kept taking others who were behind me! All I needed was the password to the computer, she didn't even ask me what I needed. I know I'm a woman, but at least show me some respect, woman to woman. When the other person in the front desk got to me, it took him almost five minutes to get a simple password. All in all, I think the whole thing cost me about 25 minutes. Oh and there was only one other person in line to start with.

All that stated, I thought it was decent. I'll probably stay there again if I can't find another hotel with a good location at a reasonable price.

Quick caveat - some of the staff there were EXCELLENT. In particular a male concierge (I don't remember his name). The girl concierge wasn't the most helpful, and I feel like I got ripped off on the "Rio Express" tour she recommended (I'll write a review for that one soon - basically go with another tour company).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Lisbon
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Some of the rooms are old and smelly (the first they gave me). The elevators do not work properly, the lights were off in one, the doors open and close in a flash in another as if it was a joke. The service is unpleasant and totally incompetent. Overall a really lousy experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Rio de Janeiro hotels

Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had a pleasant stay for one night at this hotel. The room was very nice, clean, and appeared to be recently updated. The hotel is very close to the beach, and also has a few restaurants and bars in the neighborhood. The large breakfast buffet was served on the top floor of the building, with a gorgeous 360-degree view of the city and beach. You can't really top having your morning coffee with a view like that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I know... hotels in Rio are always pricey. So I'll ignore this point from now on.
The hotel is good and location is great, just a block from Ipanema beach. The pool was being reconstructed, so it was not possible to enjoy it on the rooftop.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business