“Great stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sao Paulo, SP
“Great stay!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My best stay in Rio ever. Great location, friendly service, amazing view from the room and from the swimming pool. The service on the beach is outstanding! The breakfast is excellent: many types of food and all the rest. We strongly recommend this hotel, and make sure to ask for a room with a view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marina_Cordani
pestana, Gerente at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review after your recent stay with us. I´m glad that we manage to meet your expectations.
Our dedicated team was delighted with your mention.

Thank you very much for recommending our / your´s hotel.

Looking forward to welcome you back again,

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with good rooms and a great rooftop pool and bar. Right in the middle of copocabana beach so there are many things to walk to and enjoy. It's generally over $300 US per night so on the expensive side, but many hotels are that way in Rio, expecially ones that are right on the beaches. They have a pretty good fitness center on the top floor as well. I checked in at the normal time, but my room wasn't quite ready, so the front desk attendant gave me a free drink at the bar while I waited the 10 minutes. I thought that was a great gesture.

Room Tip: I had an end unit, 1216 as I recall and it had a straight ahead view of the beach and to the right t...
2 Thank JSMinMN
pestana, Gerente at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

I´m very glad that our hotel, facilities and service suits you the best.

Looking forward to welcome you again on your next visit,

Norway
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed three weeks at this hotel, and all in all it was a nice experience - but not enough to get me back, but I'll come back to that.

The positives first:
The room (1103) was not too big, but big enough for me, and nice and clean. The small french balcony didn't allow for much but to open it to get som fresh air, but the view over Copacabana is just amazing!
The roof top pool area is another really nice thing about this hotel. Again clean and tidy, and with a friendly staff. A bit slow to hand out towels, but that's details....

On the slightly negative side; the groundfloor hotel restaurant is not what you would excpect from an otherwise very good hotel. Stay away from it for dinner at least, and go to one of the many good restaurant nearby instead. Breakfast however is of course practical to take in the hotel, and - even though it was difficult to point out too many negative things, there was absolutely no changes for the 3 weeks I stayed there, and it bacame rather boring after a few days. But hey - most people don't stay in hotels for weeks and weeks. The coffee service is also slow, and I had to ask for this every morning... But again, this is details.

The really negative thing about this hotel is the neighborhood. Copacabana is probably the most famous beach in the world, but also attracts crooks which you don't want to run into on your vacation or business trip. There are druggies, hookers - and probably worst - muggers. During my stay there I heard of several guys ending up robbed at Copacabana....

So all in all, I will probably not stay here again due to the neighborhood, even though the hotel itself was actually very good. Next time I will go to Ipanema or Leblon instead. The only problem here is that the selection of hotels are less...

So Rio hotel owners; can you please set up more hotels at Ipanema and Leblon, and close the Copacabana ones?

Room Tip: 1103 was a really good room for one, or maybe two persons. This is situated on the east side of the...
2 Thank Jarle H
pestana, Gerente at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review after your recent stay with us.
I´m glad that you considered a nice experience your three weeks at Pestana Rio Atlântica, our dedicated team is honored with your mention. You are correct our Deck Bar on the top of the hotel is one of the best spots in the hotel, with fantastic views to one of the most famouse beaches in the World, Copacabana. I´m very pleased to let you know that we are changing our Cais da Ribeira restaurant menu , I´m sure we will meet our guest´s and visitors expectations.
Concerning our coffee service at breakfast time , we are also upgrading our service.

I sincerely hope that you reconsider and visit us again, I know that we will find out our improvements.

Mendoza, Argentina
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Very well located in Copacabana. Close to nice bistros and restaurants. Service is OK. The rooms are very small. The closet is almost a miniature. It is right for a short stay. Elevators were in service and there was always a waiting line. Hope when this is fixed there will be no delays since it was annoying.

Room Tip: Higher floor have a nicer view and less noise.
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review after your recent stay at Pestana Rio Atlântica Hotel. I´m glad that our location suits you the best. I´m sure that on your next stay with us , you can get to know another option of our many available room tipologies, the Pestana Rio Atlântica has plenty of different rooms, suites, junior suites, oceanic suites to please all our valued guests.
To put an end on our hotel renovation, we are finishing the modernization of one of our lifts.

Looking forward to welcome you again on your next stay,

Kind regards,

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just got back from an 11 day trip to South America and this was one of the places I stayed. The location was great. Just a quick overview for those who haven't been to Rio. There's Copacabana beach and then there's Ipanema beach. Ipanema is mostly residential and doesn't have a lot of hotels. Copacabana has tons of hotels and cafes. This hotel is directly across the street from the beach and you can see the ocean from most windows. The rooms are very clean and modern. Flat screen tvs new furniture and new bathroom appliances, white linens. Warning I did look at reviews before I came and I saw some older rooms so I'm not sure if they remodeled but it's worth asking to make sure you get a newer room. The hotel isn't very large so there's a limited number of rooms actually facing the beach and they are likely more expensive. But our room offered a side view with a balcony. The rooftop pool is the best part of this place - it has an awesome view of the beach and a bar up top. They also serve breakfast there in the mornings. Who can beat breakfast overlooking the beach. The dinner buffet is also pretty tasty and the food was really fresh. I would definitely recommend staying here and may come back the next time I'm in Rio. Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amaya T
pestana, Gerente at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your review with us and other travellers after your recent stay.
I´m glad that our / your´s hotel was up to your expectations, you are correct the Pestana Rio Atlântica Hotel was totally renovated in 2011 and 2012 , and all our 247 guest rooms are equipped with top materials, high class fourniture, confortable beds in order to provide the best confort to all our valued guests. Knowing that you recommend us is without a doubt our best award.
It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with our dedicated team.

Looking forward to welcome you again on your next stay,

Kyiv
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I realize that the dates around New Year Eve is an extremely busy time for all of the hotels in Rio. I also realize that charging US$ 1,000+ for a night during this period is supposed to add an additional degree of responsibility and concern towards the guests. After all, you have to be fair towards your customers and while charging a premium price for the particular location and time, the hotel needs to meet clientele's expectations in terms of service and hospitality especially if it identifies itself as a 5 star property. See for yourselves how Pestana performed. Here we go:
1. We originally opted for the suite with a sea view - highly misleading as the only way you can get a glimpse (not a view) of the sea was through a narrow corridor between the two buildings and only if you stick your head out of the window. Anyway, a little bribe on the reception did get us a room with proper if not frontal view of the beach but with a very loud noise from an a/c unit to make sure that nothing in life is perfect.
2. Cleanliness/turn-over service of the room - upon check in we noticed a) lots of sand on the couch, b) absence of towels/shower gels. We had to wait for a couple of hours before the towels arrived. Sand stayed on the couch with us during all of our 5 day stay - regardless of us asking specifically both on the phone an at reception to clean it. We actually decided not clean it ourselves in order to see how bad the cleaning really was and ....it was really bad! It looked like they only cared to replace towels. Our sheets were not changed even once during this period! We had to wait for a couple of days before we got minibar items restocked. The most pathetic were our ongoing requests to get some toilette paper!!! I actually had to go to reception after a day or so in order to get it myself as all of my verbal requests were useless.
3. Concierge service - non-existent. We made reservation at one of the restaurants with a guy at the reception. He assured us that everything was fine. Good that we double checked - as the restaurant was not taking any reservations. We probably talked about the toilette paper to the same receptionists.
4. Laundry/cleaning facilities - had to wait 3 days to get our laundry back and only after we were told something along the lines of "you have not asked for any laundry to be done", "are you sure it was not delivered already?" and finally - "we can't seem to find it". Scandal followed but unlike toilette paper our laundry was brought to our room.
5. Lifts - we actually got stuck in one of those on our way to complain to the reception about the absence of toilette paper.
6. Billing/Check-out - they miscalculated a noteworthy US$ 700+ in charges (that I obviously have not made). When asked for the receipts - they did not have any!!! To be fair to the guys they did not charge me for the toilette paper.
7. Interaction with the senior staff/complaint management - after all this circus I actually had to sit down with the duty manager to go over the list of my complaints in a reasonable, amicable and civilized fashion. She noted all of them down, told me that she is sorry and suggested that the continuous absence of toilette paper in my room was caused by me putting the sign "Privacy Please" on the door. True, dear, my fault! For I checked into this Atlantic Charlatan Pestana in the first place.
Summary: Avoid at all costs. Truly one of the worst hotel experiences ever. A fully dysfunctional place.
Finally - request to the little pestana robots that write "concerned" feedback to the reviews on the TripAdvisor. Please do not answer to this review. Don't want to hear your "sincere" apologies or justifications for your utter incompetence. Full of them! I guess by answering to this you would just confirm that you don't care about any requests.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anton S
pestana, Gerente at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

As I do with all our guests trully appreciated reviews, I´ll answer to your review concerning your stay at Pestana Rio Atlântica Hotel.
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Your room alocation was corret according to the booked room tipology, the booked suite with partial sea view is one of our many options of accomodation, the suite is not frontal sea view like an Oceanic Suite for example , but has sea view, not city nor mountain view.
In our Hotel we daily work hard to provide to all our guests the best holiday experience, since the renovation of the Hotel started in May 2011 and ending in August 2012 , and since the beginning of this year , many changes were made in our structure, facilities, standards, teams etc , I´m glad to let you know that fortunatly the needded changes were implemented and we are receiving many positive and motivating feedback by our guests and visitors, that show us that we are in the right path.

I hope that you give us the chance to welcome you back again on your next visit to Rio, you´ll find out our improvemments,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel was worth every penny. The rooms are clean and many of them look out onto the water. Ipanema is within walking distance, and there are plenty of restaurants and bars right outside of the hotel in Copa. The pool on the rooftop is relaxing during the day and happening at night. And the breakfast was tasty. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
pestana, Gerente at Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for posting your review after your stay with us.
I´m very glad that our/your´s hotel was up to your expectations.
Knowing that you definitely stay in the Pestana Rio Atlântica Hotel on your next visit to Rio is our main award.

Looking forward to welcome you again,