This hotel is a gem. This was my second time in Rio, and the deal through AMEX was too good to pass up for this hotel. Upon check in, I was upgraded to a pool / ocean view suite. If you are royalty, or in my case, want to be treated like royalty, this is your place. The staff is VERY helpfuly, bi-lingual. The pool is amazing, the breakfast was good (I did not try Cipriani - too many good places nearby). The beds were very comfortable, the conceirges were incredible, the bathroom was nice, and the staff were beyond helpful. The swimming pool - well - it is worty of an article all its own it is that good. We were rewarded with two complimentary sweedish massages, so I can vouch that the spa is nice. The workout facility is good as well. If you have a chance to get in here - take it - you will not be wowed like this often. I have stayed a Conrads, Four Seasons, Ritzs, and several other nice hotels and I have to say, this ranks up in my top two or three stays of hotels all over the world. If you go out walking around outside the hotel, there are tons of pharmacies, grocery stores, ATMs (be careful - only HSBC and Citi ATMS worked for me), souvineer shops / stands, and cafes are around. BE CAREFUL AT NIGHT!! Also, because of the hotel's status, everybody knows where it is at, so you don't have to explain to cabbies where to go (which could also be bad as they think you have money to spend on a runaround cab fare).
Drawbacks - well, the hotel is not a drawback, but the surrounding area can be. After being in Rio once, I knew that the Copacabana section of the beach exploits the tourists, with outrageous prices, working girls (or as my police friends in Rio tell me, working guys looking like girls) and security does a good job of keeping them off the Copa Palace area, and Rio has experienced a recent wave of crime tourists are easy marks. Copacabana Beach is a nice beach, but you are a tourist if you hang out there - so be careful. Post 9 at Ipanaema is the place to go if you want to do the beach, but the Copacabana beach is nice and close.
Bottom line - if you get a chance to stay in this hotel, jump on it. There is nothing quite like it, as I am sure is the case with most orient express hotels. If you cannot get in, or is too expensive, I would not hang around Copacabana, but try Ipanema - there are better restaurants, clubs, and sites.
If you have questions, please contact me. I have been to Rio a couple of times, but feel I know the city fairly well as I talk to a few of the locals on a periodic basis (cops, cab drivers, business men / women) and they keep me apprised. If you go, enjoy yourself and treat yourself right - but BE CAREFUL!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the famous Copacabana Beach, the Belmond Copacabana Palace is known as the most luxury hotel in Brazil. A symbol of sophistication and refinement, the Belmond Copacabana Palace offers an impeccable service, excellent cuisine and luxurious accommodation, confirming its tradition of ideal place to stay in Rio de Janeiro. The Belmond Copacabana Palace offers three restaurants inside its facilities; the Italian Cipriani, the Pergula Restaurant, with Brazilian and international cuisine, located next to the pool and the new Pan-Asian restaurant awarded with a prestigious Michelin Star, Mee. Apart from being a landmark in one of the most beautiful areas of Brazil, the hotel is also a center of wellbeing. It offers one of the main spas in the country, with different types of treatments, as well as a beauty salon, both open to the public. It also has a boutique with national and international brands and exclusive pieces. The exclusive Beach service offers sun loungers, umbrellas and water for the guests. The personalized treatment enchants the guests and provides a family atmosphere, making everybody feel at home. The hotel is also known as one of the most sort after venues for parties and Rio´s social events. It has a convention center with ten different rooms and salons of different sizes and shapes, to suite the various needs of the clients. For parties, the hotel offers the luxurious Golden Room, the Nobre Room and the Copacabana Rooms, which can be used for cocktails, dinners, wedding receptions, business meetings and other large parties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Belmond Copacabana Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Copacabana Palace By Orient-Express Hotel Rio De Janeiro
- Copacabana Palace Rio De Janeiro
- Copacabana Palace Hotel
- Belmond Copacabana Palace Rio De Janeiro, Brazil