“One of the best hotel stays ever!!”

Belmond Copacabana Palace
Ranked #3 of 286 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed August 19, 2008

This hotel is a gem. This was my second time in Rio, and the deal through AMEX was too good to pass up for this hotel. Upon check in, I was upgraded to a pool / ocean view suite. If you are royalty, or in my case, want to be treated like royalty, this is your place. The staff is VERY helpfuly, bi-lingual. The pool is amazing, the breakfast was good (I did not try Cipriani - too many good places nearby). The beds were very comfortable, the conceirges were incredible, the bathroom was nice, and the staff were beyond helpful. The swimming pool - well - it is worty of an article all its own it is that good. We were rewarded with two complimentary sweedish massages, so I can vouch that the spa is nice. The workout facility is good as well. If you have a chance to get in here - take it - you will not be wowed like this often. I have stayed a Conrads, Four Seasons, Ritzs, and several other nice hotels and I have to say, this ranks up in my top two or three stays of hotels all over the world. If you go out walking around outside the hotel, there are tons of pharmacies, grocery stores, ATMs (be careful - only HSBC and Citi ATMS worked for me), souvineer shops / stands, and cafes are around. BE CAREFUL AT NIGHT!! Also, because of the hotel's status, everybody knows where it is at, so you don't have to explain to cabbies where to go (which could also be bad as they think you have money to spend on a runaround cab fare).

Drawbacks - well, the hotel is not a drawback, but the surrounding area can be. After being in Rio once, I knew that the Copacabana section of the beach exploits the tourists, with outrageous prices, working girls (or as my police friends in Rio tell me, working guys looking like girls) and security does a good job of keeping them off the Copa Palace area, and Rio has experienced a recent wave of crime tourists are easy marks. Copacabana Beach is a nice beach, but you are a tourist if you hang out there - so be careful. Post 9 at Ipanaema is the place to go if you want to do the beach, but the Copacabana beach is nice and close.

Bottom line - if you get a chance to stay in this hotel, jump on it. There is nothing quite like it, as I am sure is the case with most orient express hotels. If you cannot get in, or is too expensive, I would not hang around Copacabana, but try Ipanema - there are better restaurants, clubs, and sites.

If you have questions, please contact me. I have been to Rio a couple of times, but feel I know the city fairly well as I talk to a few of the locals on a periodic basis (cops, cab drivers, business men / women) and they keep me apprised. If you go, enjoy yourself and treat yourself right - but BE CAREFUL!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Rick C
Write a ReviewReviews (3,393)

Reviewed July 25, 2008

Beautiful Hotel, First Class all the way. Expensive, but work is paying for it... Food is incredible, great pool, great spa, great view out of my room over Copacabana Beach. Nothing wrong with this hotel at all.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Clay C
Reviewed July 7, 2008

As a solo tourist, I stayed in the Copacabana Palace's main ('original') building in 2002. The room was small with a tiny balcony. Even so, the amenities and level of service were such that I ranked the hotel among the best I'd ever lodged in.

In 2008 my wife and I were upgraded to a suite in the tower ('new') building. Its bedroom alone was as large as the room I had occupied six years earlier. The sitting room was huge. The walk-in closet was also large, as was the bathroom -- which had separate bath and shower and an abundance of amenities.

Service at the Copacabana is unexcelled -- at its reception (check-in and -out) and concierge desks, in its restaurants, and everywhere else.

The near-Olympic sized pool forms a backdrop for both restaurants -- La Pergola, the casual diner that has both indoor and a poolside tables, and Cipriani, the gourmet Northern Italian eatery.

The complimentary breakfast at La Pergola (R$55 or US$37) a person for non-guests was fabulous, with no fewer than 14 different fruits, and eggs, meats, cereals, juices, breads, rolls, and pastries. Dinner at Cipriani was a disappointment, either because the chef is new or had the day off.

In 2002 I paid the equivalent of US$465 for a single room in the old building. In 2008 we paid US$400 for our suite. This might, or should, make the Copacabana Palace the #1 hotel in Rio.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nedhop
Reviewed June 6, 2008

Copacabana Palace is a nice hotel, the only problem is the Cocacabana area. The beach is dirty. There are a lot of people trying to sell you stuff and lots of beggers. Even when I was sunbathing on my back, someone would tap me on the shoulder to try to sell me something. Copacabana Palace staff wouldn't even try to stop them. I didnt realise Copacabana was the red light district of Rio. Overall I rate the hotel, the rooms, the service, the pool area, breakfast wasn't very nice, very limited choice BUT not the area.
The place to be is Ipanema ! The best hotel in Rio is Fasano which is perfectly situated in Ipanema. My husband and I walked passed the Fasano on our last day in Rio. I asked guest services to show me a room and the pool. The roof top pool is amazing, the view is breathtaking. The rooms are very modern and stylish. If I ever get the opportunity to visit Rio again I will stay at the Fasano.
I recommend a restaurant called Marius, amazing seafood and steaks. Also a restaurant called Carlotta.

Stayed: May 2008
6  Thank JaneWestwood
Reviewed June 4, 2008

Room was nice art deco style, bathroom had seen better days but still nice.
Breakfast was amazing
Dinner good, but for the money better off exploring Rio
Excellent gym
Polite non invasive service
Hotel was everything I would expect from a 5*

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank WillamR
Reviewed June 1, 2008

Stayed at the Copacabana Palace because my Brazilian friend said that the Palace was the "place" to stay at, and the choice of royalties and dignitaries (although I am neither) who visit Rio. So, on my third visit to this beautiful country, I did book at the Palace and it was indeed traditional luxury with excellent service. I was expecting a bigger reception area for a "palace", but the room I was given had high ceilings and was tastefully decorated. I was looking for the television set and found out I had to push a button so that the TV popped up at the end of the bed. The giveaway slippers for use at the beach were very comfy, and the bathrobes lush. The beach was okay, and your slippers and towel identify you as "from the Palace". But I do agree with another reviewer who says that the beach at Ipanema is better. The hotel price can be restrictive to most, but staying a night or two can be a memorable experience at the Palace, and then maybe transfer to an Ipanema hotel for the remaining days. Taxis are relatively safe and plentiful so transferring won't be a problem. The pool is huge and relaxing-looking with people enjoying food nearby, but I did rather lounge at the beach instead and actually did not stay much in the hotel except to sleep.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank JumpingNorman
Reviewed May 9, 2008

I have stayed here 3 times now and it is unfailingly one of the best hotels I know, anywhere. Rooms, service, pool, ambience, location . . .eevrything faultless, and if you get aroom att he front the view over Copa Beach is outstanding. I havent stayed anywhere else inRio, so there may be better hotels but it is hard to imagine

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business