“Outstanding Service”

Belmond Copacabana Palace
Ranked #3 of 283 Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed May 24, 2013

What makes this a first rate hotel is its outstanding service. In particular, the front-desk staff was absolutely delightful. I hope that management gives the staff recognition for this. Giving guests a good first impression goes a long way--it certainly did for us. After hearing that my husband and I were on our honeymoon, they sent a bottle of champagne to our room. Bartenders and bell staff were also warm, welcoming and very at-your-service. The concierge should be given kudos as well. They always had good recommendations and there no question that went unanswered.

The spa facilities are top notch--a nice option when it rained the last day were there. (When it rains in Rio, your options can be limited!)

There are some complaints about this place feeling old, but it is a historic hotel built in the 30s. I'm sure there are other places you could go that have sleek, new, modern decor (and I do love that stuff, don't get me wrong) but few places have the character and meaning of other historic properties like the Waldorf in NYC or the St. Francis in San Francisco, and it turns out that Copa Palace has much better service than those places. We found our suite to be roomy and well appointed with all the amenities. And with Copacabana Beach across the street and Ipanema and Leblon within striking distance, are you really going to be living in your room?

Only one criticism. We could hear the Club Copa's loud music thumping at night in our ocean/pool view suite on the fourth floor. We were usually so tired at the end of a long evening that we just passed out, and the pluses outweighed the minuses of the place, but it was a bit of a surprise to encounter this.

Overall a memorable and worthwhile stay thanks to all the expert staff.

Room Tip: A higher floor will likely mean less noise from Club Copa if you have a pool/ocean view room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emily O
Adriano S, Assistant to the General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear guest,
we would like to mention that it is very grateful to read comments like yours. We really strive to provide an unforgettable experience to all guests and clients. We also would like to thank you about the improvements we should make.

There are newer reviews for Belmond Copacabana Palace

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful. Yes it's expensive but it would be comparable to staying at the palace, Waldorf Astoria or Ritz Carlton. The guests are typically at a higher level and pretty much stay to themselves. The rooms are extremely comfortable and the maid staff is on top of their game. The pool is beautiful but has very limited sun light. If you plan on getting a suntan. Think twice. However, the beach is across the street and plenty of sunlight. Lol. The restaurant was a little dissapointing to us as we waited over 1 hour for our dinner on Sunday night. Sad but although the food was amazing, not many restaurants are worth the wait. Again, great hotel, just make sure you have the cash to stay here! I had a grey goose and it was $30 us. I could have bought the bottle. Welcome to brazil. It's most Definately not like buying anything in Chinatown. Enjoy your travels!

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for posting your comments. It is amazing to know that was your first time in Brazil and enjoyed your stay. It is also valid to say that we are a luxury hotel which is reflected in all our products and services and, regarding to the restaurant, we will verify promptly what you highlighted.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I was here for carnival in February but a random google search just now brought up this hotel and reminded me I need to post a review - so here I go.
All in all, loved it. I stayed in the new wing and room was fantastic.
This is not the usual kind of hotel I would stay in, but for an anniversary or "special birthday" (or just if you are rich!) it would be amazing.
It just combines old fashioned charm with modern facilities.
Staff were all charming.
I loved lounging round the pool (people watching was amazing) but this would be my only negative - people were reserving pool loungers very early and by 7am (yes, 7am) many of the seats were taken! I even found one lounger reserved with several pots of jam, which I found hilarious. But seriously I think this kind of thing should be challenged by the management and pool staff - some people lay down magazines at breakfast then only started using the chairs by midday. I think it's fine if you are going for lunch and coming back straight after but not otherwise. This demeans a hotel of this standard.
But that was not enough to diminish things and overall I can highly highly recommend a stay here - I just hope I will be back here one day.

Room Tip: I stayed in the new wing - initially I thought it would have been nicer to stay in the main wing, bu...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Worldtraveler67

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sending your comments about your impressions of your last stay. As you noted, the pool area is indeed very popular during sunny days and it is a real challenge to make sure that our guests are comfortable. We also assure you that we will verify about the loungers.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Totally enjoyed my stay in late April/early May. Was traveling on business and the location couldn't have been better. The city view room was a tad small, but fine for a single business traveler. Everything was spotless and the bathroom was plenty roomy. Loved having my breakfast by the pool every morning.. your choice inside or out. WiFi worked without a hitch, which is important when conducting business. Staff was always friendly and courteous. Didn't get a chance to have dinner at the hotel, but was told the food in the Italian restaurant was very good. It is situated right across the street from Copacabana beach (no hotels are right on the beach, but they are steps away), although since on business I didn't have time to enjoy the beach.

Will definitely make this my hotel of choice when doing business in Rio. I have stayed at other hotels, and was not pleased half as much. Great value for the money....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Adriano S, Assistant to the General Manager at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you very much for sending your kind message and very positive feedback. Your words reinforce that we are in the right way in order to provide excellent service and accomodations to our guests and clients.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I have visited Rio numerous times over the past several years, but have never stayed at the Copacabana Palace until last month What a lovely surprise! First Class all the way!
The hotel retains its splendor, glamour and charm. It has a wonderful style and has been beautifully maintained
We stayed in a pool suite overlooking the pool and beach and was more like a luxury apartment than a hotel room. The Pergula restaurant by the pool was just a delightful place in terms of atmosphere
But it's the Copa's flawless service that makes it a world class hotel. From the moment we walked in, the staff was warm, attentive and always smiling . Thanks to Rafaela Pereira and Fernanda from Pergula restaurant
The location isn’t the best, but what it lacks in location it makes up for in hospitality and charm. One suggestion: improve the wifi signal
We thoroughly enjoyed every moment of our two day stay at the Copa and we would not hesitate to suggest this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mkm4

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sending and sharing your comments. We are very happy to know about your remarkable stay with us. Regarding to your sugestions, we will verify carefully.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I booked, requested a particular room in advance (highest floor, ocean view WITH a Balcony!!)
And..... I GOT IT!!!
That is just the starters!! but actually MADE the trip, so for you out there who think "Room" doesn't matter, it does!!! On Many levels... Like, I looked at the suite next to my room, it had NO balcony (VERY Few rooms do in the main building) and it didn't have an extra half bath, so it was dead "extra room" and I made out totally on the room I had!
ALL rooms in the main building, as you may know, were totally renovated as of just earlier this year!
Bathroom- To Die for... DOUBLE SINKS (HUGE with me) as well as a great tub and separate shower.
TOP notch on all.... I never ever saw room service and my room was attended to every time I left!!
OK- I wish I could just BOTTLE THE SMELL of the Lobby which heads into the gorgeous Outside Breakfast Area..... Entering this place is feast amoung the senses..... can't explain it and it is something I miss so much.
Bottom Line, there is NO OTHER PLACE TO STAY except the Palace; is is History; Circa 1923
It is on the BEST BEACH!!! I can't believe what others say about Copacabana... it was SPOTLESS and SAFE and MUCH MUCH nicer than Ipanema!!!
Beyond a doubt the best place ever to stay!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T wait to go back!!!!!!

Room Tip: Well, besides the Penthouse, the best room is 506...... top floor, ocean view and.... WITH A BALCON...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MagicalTravel

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for posting your valuable and amazing comments about the hotel and the district of Copacabana. We are glad that we are succesfull in providing a memorable experience.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The hotel is beautiful! The rooms are perfect and the service also very good.
People from the hotel is very helpful.
The swimming pool is great! I love to stay there. It was my second time.
You can walk to Arpoador in the afternoon to see the sunset. After this you can go to Colombo in
Copacabana Fort. It's amazing!
I recomend this hotel!

Room Tip: The best rooms have a beach view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
It is so amazing to read nice and emotional comments about your experience and stay with us. Thank you very much.